Redoubt Volcano Screamed Before Erupting- And Now You Can HEAR It

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Seismic data converted to audio (something that a few of us do around here at ATS) reveals the "scream," which sounds like a rising note. Then it goes silent for a minute and... Kaboom! Explosion.

Click this and listen:
soundcloud.com...

Full article here:

A change in the frequency of earthquakes may foretell explosive volcanic eruptions, according to a new study.

The seismic activity changes from steady drum beats to increasingly rapid successions of tremors.

These blend into continuous noise which silences just before explosion.

The study of tremors in the lead up to the 2009 eruption of Redoubt, a volcano in Alaska, appears in Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research.

Those quakes continuously rose in pitch like a volcanic glissando - a musical glide from one pitch to another.

Subterranean magma plumbing systems sit beneath volcanoes and feed pressurised molten rock toward the surface before eruptions.

As the magma flows through deep conduits and cracks, it generates small seismic tremors and earthquakes.

Scientists have noted earthquakes preceding volcanic eruptions before, for example drumbeat earthquakes were the first sign of renewed magmatic activity in Mount St Helens in April 2005.

But the new analysis of Alaska's Redoubt volcano shows that the tremor glided to higher frequencies and then stopped abruptly less than a minute before eruption.

"The frequency of this tremor is unusually high for a volcano," explained Alicia Hotovec-Ellis, a doctoral student involved in the study, from the University of Washington.

www.bbc.co.uk...

More at link. Fascinating stuff.

But do all volcanoes do this before eruptions? That part was not clear in the article- and the couple of pre-eruptive, older SAC files I have do not convert well in the program I use to do seismic data to audio conversions- so I don't know. But if I manage to capture one with the tools I have now, I would be able to determine that rather quickly. I have a hunch though, that due to so many factors that vary widely at volcanoes, that this is not likely to be the case.

But it would be very interesting, and potentially life saving if they did- because volcanologists would have a much more definitive precursor to go by.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
That was pretty cool. It sounded like pressure was building up and then BOOM.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
That audio is amazing.
I remember reading and listening to that back in December 2011, when the author of the paper, Alicia Hotovec-Ellis, posted it on the PNSN seismo blog.
There is another audio file on the link above that includes the 10 hours of "drumbeats" preceding the eruption.

I don't know if all volcanoes do that. Her blog piece states that it is rare.

Good stuff, TA.
edit on 9/7/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Wow, that is pretty cool! I wonder if the sound is actually the pressurization of the chamber (tubes, pockets, what-have-you), steadily increasing in pitch as the available chamber volume is compressed, then there is that split second of near silence where the motion of compression is stopped by running out of volume resulting in a hydraulic transference of energy to push out the plug with a kaboom.

Reminds me of the varying pitches of a line of bottles with increasing heights of water in them and you blow across to make music. That's why I think we are hearing the compression of the chamber.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Great! Thats amazing, eventhou I dont think it'll be usefull on warning against an eruption because of the reaction time between the sound and the eruption.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
like magma pushing all remaining gases out a small hole till it reaches the bottoming out, pressure builds and boom

kinda like that?

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I make that same sounds when I eat to many tacoes..

new topics

top topics

join