It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Two cracks were discovered in a concrete floor near radioactive water storage tanks on the grounds of the stricken Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, the plant operator said Feb. 11. Officials with Tokyo Electric Power Co. said some of the contaminated water from the melting snow blanketing the area may have seeped into the ground through the cracks.
-The Jiji Press states in its article "TEPCO did not disclose data of highly contaminated groundwater of Fukushima Daiichi= 5 million Bq last summer when obtained: NRA" that "TEPCO explained to the NRA that it obtained the highest level of Strontium 90 in July 2013. The facts regarding this issue are as follows.
-There are no facts that TEPCO had obtained the analysis result data (sampling water from groundwater observation hole 1-2, taken on July 5, 2013) in July, 2013.
-There are neither any facts that TEPCO explained to the NRA that it had obtained the analysis result in July, 2013, or that TEPCO corrected to the NRA the time when it obtained the analysis result.
July 5, 2013 Sampling water was taken from the Groundwater observation hole No.1-2
July 26, 2013 Radioactive analysis of the aforementioned water started.
September 12, 2013 The analysis finished, however, TEPCO had suspended the definition of the data. Because on the other analysis, on July 24, 2013, it was found that the measured Sr-90 were above that of Gross β, and the cause of such inversion was not determined.
February 5, 2014 TEPCO announced the cause of the inversion of Sr-90 and Gross β.
February 6, 2014 TEPCO defined and announced the analysis result of the aforementioned data (Sr-90 of the sampling water from groundwater observation hole 1-2, taken on July 5, 2013), which had been suspended.
The International Atomic Energy Association has issued a final report about the decommissioning of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, based partly on a second visit to the site in November-December 2013 and meetings with government and regulatory officials. The visits were requested by Japan.
The report is both supportive, highlighting 19 areas of progress, and elsewhere offers criticisms and Advisory Point, in particular 19 advisory points.
Among other things, the report seems to favour controlled releases of treated water to sea, and seems to have concerns about what might be overly-restrictive radiation levels required for members of the public.
"The IAEA team considers that Japan developed its efforts towards decommissioning the plant promptly after the accident, and since then, Japan has achieved good progress in improving its strategy and the associated plans, as well as in allocating the necessary resources towards the safe decommissioning of TEPCO's Fukushima Daiichi NPS.
"Since the first IAEA mission in April 2013, the Government of Japan and TEPCO have adopted a more proactive attitude and approach towards addressing the many difficulties at the site.
"The IAEA team also notes that the current situation is very complex, and that there are still some challenging issues (e.g., contaminated water management, nuclear fuel removal, and fuel debris removal) that must be resolved to achieve the long-term stable condition of the plant. In light of these challenges, Japan appears to have adopted a well-oriented set of countermeasures."
An edited version of the acknowledgements and Advisory Point is below.
FUKUSHIMA—Water contaminated with radioactive substances continues to flow into the basement level, while the collection of spent nuclear fuel rods is progressing steadily at the No. 4 reactor of Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant. That was the situation, due chiefly to the absence of any decisive countermeasures, when we visited on Wednesday.
When the Great East Japan Earthquake occurred on March 11, 2011, the No. 4 reactor was not operating, having been suspended for regular checkups. Therefore, the radiation level inside that reactor still remains lower than those at the plant’s Nos. 1 to 3 reactors where the core meltdowns occurred.
However, the contaminated water still continues flowing into the No. 4 reactor from the adjacent No. 3 reactor via pipes and other routes. We went down to the basement level for the first news coverage from the spot. The radiation level in the area measured 10 to 12 microsieverts per hour, which would add up to one millisievert in a matter of four days—the level that an ordinary person is estimated to be exposed to in a year.
Using a new crane that replaced the old one, workers were collecting the fuel rods one by one and putting them into a special container, while monitoring progress on a computer screen. About 330 of the 1,533 fuel rods had already been taken out. Everything appeared to be in order there, as if nothing had ever happened.
The destruction caused by the supersonic explosive shockwave […] no nuclear containment in the world can withstand a detonation shockwave like the one inside Fukushima Daiichi Unit 3
(UPDATE-2) Of all news outlets, it was Yomiuri who reported the news (two days late) and mentioned the last remaining potential route for the debris pieces - Reactor 3 explosion. From Yomiuri Shinbun (2/24/2014):
The reason [why the debris pieces were there] is unknown; they could have been scattered by the hydrogen explosion in the reactor building, or they could have come from the ocean.
This news continues to be mostly ignored by both the mainstream media and the alternative net media. Very strange.
(UPDATE 2/13/2014) The only news I've found so far about these debris pieces in Naraha-machi is from FNN local Fukushima news. Even that news hides the fact that the radioactivity of maximum 2.92 million becquerels of radioactive cesium IS PER 0.4 GRAM SAMPLE.
Specifically, four small pieces of debris found at the river mouth in Naraha-machi 15 kilometers from the plant may have come from Reactor 3.
TOKYO (Reuters) - The operator of Japan's wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant knew about record high measurements of a dangerous isotope in groundwater at the plant for five months before telling the country's nuclear watchdog, a regulatory official told Reuters.
Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco) said late on Wednesday it detected 5 million becquerels per liter of radioactive strontium-90 in a sample from a groundwater well about 25 meters from the ocean last September. That reading was more than five times the broader all-beta radiation reading taken at the same well two months earlier.
A Tepco spokesman said there was uncertainty about the reliability and accuracy of the September strontium reading, so the utility decided to re-examine the data.
Shinji Kinjo, head of a Nuclear Regulation Authority (NRA) taskforce on contaminated water issues at Fukushima, told Reuters he had not heard about the record high strontium reading until this month. "We did not hear about this figure when they detected it last September," he said. "We have been repeatedly pushing Tepco to release strontium data since November. It should not take them this long to release this information.