It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake - PART 2

page: 47
<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

I totally agree with your sentiments, and OceanSpray's - is soooo frustrating.... They figured out a way to cap the lit oil wells in Kuwait - there's got to be a way to deal with this! Superfoam? Are all problem solvers holding back by choice or told to stay away? (might be a redundant question, lol)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

edit on 29-11-2013 by wishes because: computer glitch-duplicated post

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Time stamps are irrelevant. This thread is about Fukuhima today, not fantasies about the far and distant future. We are trying to compile and maintain current information about Fukushima. As for the rest of your post, you are again making it personal. We aren't here to debate, we're here to discuss... Fukushima. We already know about other problems and leaks globally, that's not what this thread is about... it's about Fukushima's 'leak' which today is the biggest problem on this planet and why we are here and not elsewhere. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by wishes

Do you, at least, read the Telegraph Article?
Japanese firm plans 250 mile-wide solar panel belt around Moon
Telegraph.co.uk

"Attention", i quote now:

Public opposition to atomic energy has hardened in the intervening years, as the government and Tokyo Electric Power Co. struggle to bring the stricken plant’s reactors under control.

There is a general acceptance that Japan, which shut down its last functioning nuclear reactor in September, will need to restart its nuclear plants in the short term, but the disaster has focused new attention on alternative - and safer - forms of energy.

Shimizu first came up with its Luna Ring proposal before the accident at Fukushima, but the ongoing crisis means it is attracting renewed interest.

A direct relation to the Topic of Fukushima

Think about all the needed Science for such a Project, the Machinery,
the Instruments, the Logistics, the process of Dismantling of Fukushima would
highly Benefit from it.

The link to the Project was, as you can see added because we are here to
share Information, to share Science and to share intellectual
as well as Technical Progress.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

This is thread worthy news, Human. In a thread of it's own. It only dilutes this years long ongoing thread on the dilemma of Fukishima, as it stands today.

I see your point of view...but this thread is dealing with the realities of...today. Not a far distant future dream.

jmoho...

Des

edit on 29-11-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!!!!!

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake - PART 2

The above is the topic of this thread.
It is not for personal remarks, personal attacks, or other material best suited to another thread.
Do not dilute this thread with this material.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Thanks for everyone's patience, observances and contributions... hopefully peace has again returned

This is a recording Ernie at Fairewinds did for Thanksgiving thanks for the things in Fukushima that went right that could have made the disaster worse - especially all those unidentified employees (Fukushima 50) who stayed instead of running as they could have. I agree - and I hope whoever they are are well and can live with great pride for their help in a time of great crisis.
fairewinds.org...

This video is a presentation Arnie and Maggie Gundersen gave at Clarkson University to a Business Ethics course on October 22, 2013. They discuss their experience as whistleblowers in the nuclear industry and the importance of the internet in reporting malfeasance.
vimeo.com...

I don't recall if this video of Arnie's was already posted - if it was is worth reviewing - he goes over the problems Tepco faces removing the fuel rods.
vimeo.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
From Tepco's website about the status of assemblies removed:

www.tepco.co.jp...

Their numbers say they've removed 22/202 unirradiated (new) fuel assemblies and 0/1331 spent fuel assemblies from Unit 4 and 1 cask transportation.... Does 'unirradiated' fuel assemblies mean they've never been used? Are they less radioactive than the spent fuel or less?

Hope everyone is having a great Thanksgiving weekend.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by wishes

I don't see any mention of MOX fuel assemblies?
Was there an earlier story about MOX assemblies being removed first, for the investment recovery? CASH $$$

So wish there was other sources for information...

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

There is no MOX-Fuel in Sfp. Nr. 4

Only Nr. 3 used MOX and also only 1%

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

donlashway
reply to post by wishes

I don't see any mention of MOX fuel assemblies?
Was there an earlier story about MOX assemblies being removed first, for the investment recovery? CASH $$$

So wish there was other sources for information...

Good question - I know there was a lot of discussion about mox fuel in the original thread - perhaps qmantoo or others may recall better and have earlier references for it. Will see if I can find something...

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

The 220 new unused fuel assemblies, could they have been MOX?
Reactor 3 was using MOX, they had the rods to refuel #4 after the repair, was that MOX or is that MOX?
The 220 unused assemblies they are removing first?

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

(3) Outline Plan for Plutonium Utilization in Light Water Reactors (MOX utilization) Plutonium utilization in light water reactors refers to utilizing plutonium in the present nuclear power plants (light water reactors) using MOX fuel, which mixes uranium with plutonium. The electric power industry as a whole is planning to start up the utilization of MOX fuel in 16 to 18 LWR plants by FY 2015. The plan for MOX fuel utilization in LWRs will play a vitally important role in securing a stable supply of energy in Japan, a resource poor country, in the future

From a Tepco paper: nuclear-e.pdf

This information would seem to make it very likely they were going to refuel #4 with MOX?

Can I add that it would be very good news that those 220 unused assemblies are ok and removed safely.
The idea that they will be used else where, not so much?
edit on 30-11-2013 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

Fukushima: Background on Fuel Ponds

Unit 2, 3 & 4 ponds are about 12 x 10 metres, with 1240, 1220 and 1590 assemblies capacity respectively (unit 1 is about 12 x 7 m, 900 assemblies). Unit 4 pond contains a total 1331 used assemblies (783 plus full fuel load of 548), giving it a heat load of about 3 MW thermal, according to France's IRSN, which in that case could lead to 115 cubic metres of water boiling off per day, or about one tenth of its volume.

Other estimates put the heat load at 2 MW. Unit 3's pool contains 514 fuel assemblies, unit 1 has 292 and unit 2 has 587, giving it a heat load of 1 MW.

There is no MOX fuel in any of the ponds.

Unit 4 pond also has 204 fresh fuel assemblies which were ready for loading. In 2012 some of these were removed and checked, and found to be undamaged.

Word-Nuclear Source

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

donlashway

The 220 new unused fuel assemblies, could they have been MOX?
Reactor 3 was using MOX, they had the rods to refuel #4 after the repair, was that MOX or is that MOX?
The 220 unused assemblies they are removing first?

According to that Tepco page they are moving the unused assemblies. I did an ATS 'mox fuel' search and came up with many discussions about MOX in the first part of this thread - there were several references to all but Unit 4 knowingly using it but having plans to add it...

From page 1172 of the first thread:

"The first two units, Genkai-3 and Ikata-3, began operations with MOX fuel in November 2009 and March 2010 respectively. Use of MOX fuel in light-water power reactors is part of Japan's "pluthermal" program, which plans to have 16-18 reactors using MOX fuel by 2015. "

There is also an old thread on MOX fuel in Reactor 3 itself titled: Interesting information about the MOX plutonium fuel used in Fukushima 3

And another old thread titled: Fukushima Reactor 4: Capable of Extinguishing All Life on Earth - this comes from page 49:

Wiki- Fukushima Daiichi

At the time of the accident, the units and central storage facility contained the following numbers of fuel assemblies:[32]
Location Unit 1 Unit 2 Unit 3 Unit 4 Unit 5 Unit 6 Central Storage Reactor
Fuel Assemblies 400 548 548 0 548 764 0
Spent Fuel Assemblies 292 587 514 1331 946 876 6375
Fuel UOx UOx UO2/MOX UOx UOx UOx UO2/MOX
New Fuel Assemblies[33] 100 28 52 204 48 64 N/A

10,000 assemblies, of which 6300+ were in central storage.

edit on 30-11-2013 by wishes because: quotes

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wishes

The MOX in 3 is where "we" mostly believed the detonation took place in the SFP when 3 exploded.

Even Arnie was behind that theory.

Of course, THAT generated a LOT of arguments, but the evidence is too great to ignore.

As the country song goes, "I'm digging up bones, I'm digging up bones, exhuming things that are better left alone".

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

matadoor
reply to post by wishes

The MOX in 3 is where "we" mostly believed the detonation took place in the SFP when 3 exploded.

Even Arnie was behind that theory.

Of course, THAT generated a LOT of arguments, but the evidence is too great to ignore.

As the country song goes, "I'm digging up bones, I'm digging up bones, exhuming things that are better left alone".

Hi Matador - thanks for the info. Do you have any recollection how much MOX there was in it? (which I presume aerosolized?)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
complete list of "MOX" references found in the old thread will be available shortly (next day or two) and will be useful for us to have on here anyway. I warn you however, there are quite a few though - like nearly 300 ! I am just trying to finish writing the program to get the direct links to the individual posts on the various pages where the text was found. When I have done that, I will post it. In the meantime, thanks to Wishes, for more useful info on MOX from other threads too.

top topics

<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join