It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake - PART 2

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
More suspected and confirmed cases of thyroid cancer diagnosed in Fukushima children

Fifteen more young people in Fukushima Prefecture have received definitive or suspected diagnoses of thyroid cancer, which is often associated with radiation exposure, prefectural officials said Nov. 12.

That raises to 59 the total number of young people who have been diagnosed with or are suspected of having thyroid cancer.

All were aged 18 or under in March 2011 when the Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami triggered reactor meltdowns at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant.

The latest figures show 12 people per 100,000 who were aged 18 or younger at the time of the accident developing thyroid cancer.

That compares with an average of 1.7 people per 100,000 in the general population between the ages of 15 and 19 who contracted the cancer in 2007, according to statistics taken in four prefectures, including nearby Miyagi.

The current results are based on the latest round of testing, which covered an additional 33,000 young people in Fukushima Prefecture. To date, the prefectural government has released test results for about 226,000 people.

Asahi Source

Thyroid cancers up in Fukushima

Screening of Fukushima residents who were 18 or younger at the time of the 2011 nuclear disaster had found 26 confirmed and 32 suspected cases of thyroid cancer as of Sept. 30, according to the Fukushima Prefectural Government.

The number of confirmed cases was up by eight from August, while the suspected cases rose by seven, the prefecture-led study found.

About 226,000 people have undergone the screening program since it kicked off in October 2011.

The 26 confirmed cases underwent surgery and are doing well, according to the prefecture.

Japan Times Source
edit on 13-11-2013 by Human0815 because: Add a second Source

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
So deaths from Fukushima are low according to official sources. Nothing to see here.

Depends upon how you look at it…

Around a third of the 160,000 people forced to flee when the earthquake and tsunami triggered a triple meltdown at the Fukushima plant remain in flimsy temporary housing units that are nearing the 3-year limit initially promised.

Social workers report an increase in domestic strife, alcoholism and illnesses such as deep vein thrombosis from lack of exercise. In August, the number of people in Fukushima who have died since the accident from illnesses related to prolonged evacuation rose to 1,539, nearing the prefecture's tsunami death toll of 1,599.

A little "background" comparison to our neck of the woods:

The Ministry of Environment has contracted work to clean up the 11 most heavily contaminated townships, with the aim of bringing the average annual radiation dose to 20 millisieverts per year based on a range suggested by the International Centre for Radiological Protection.

Current policy dictates that evacuation orders be lifted and compensation payments stopped when that level is reached. However, the government also set a lower, long-term target of 1 millisievert - twice the background radiation in Denver.

Ministry Of Environment feels safe background levels in contaminated townships to be 40 times that of Denver? And thats a projected goal not current levels. Wonder what levels are there right now?

Oh…

"No matter how hard they try to decontaminate, radiation isn't going down. So even though we have decided to go back, we can't," said Keiko Shioi, a 59-year-old housewife from Naraha, near the nuclear plant. Radiation near her house is running at two to three times the long-term target, she said.

Well then lets get to work…

Some had hoped the decontamination project employing thousands of temporary workers to strip trees, spray roads and remove topsoil would be enough to hit that ambitious target.

But the actual reality of radioactive contamination rears its ugly head…

Officials had cautioned from the start against those hopes, since 90 percent of the projected reduction in radiation comes from natural decay of radioactive particles over time.
Read that a waste of time. Especially since, depending on wind direction, fresh releases from the plants are ongoing. Not only form the plants themselves but from people there too who have been accused of:

Meanwhile, decontamination work has been marred by delays and reports that workers have sometimes simply dumped waste rather than collect it for later storage.

Reuters

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Oh, good. Robots have traced leak(s) to at least one Primary Containment Vessel (PCV) inside the reactor buildings. The PCV is the upside down lightbulb shaped shell that surrounds the Reactor Pressure Vessel or (RPV), which held the reactor core.

Link

Inside Enews link above is a link to the NHK news story about it (video).

Link

Water used to cool molten fuel debris is believed to be leaking from the three reactor containers, with highly radioactive water accumulated in the basements.

Thats about as "hot" as it gets. The implication is that these leaks have been ongoing since the meltdown occurred back in March, 2011.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Nice to have them say so but frankly, I think most here realized this from the start. It is an epic disaster that no one wants to learn from. It seems the lesson will have to be taught ad nausea until it sinks in! This is what happens when share prices are more important than the price of life, in this case, multitudes of lives.

This disaster has no fix, there is no remedy. All they are doing is putting bandaids on the problem.

P

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Nice to have them say so but frankly, I think most here realized this from the start. It is an epic disaster that no one wants to learn from. It seems the lesson will have to be taught ad nausea until it sinks in!

Which is why I drop in once in a while and post links… others new to the site and the ongoing crisis might not be aware of some details. ETA: As well, there is ongoing dis info that needs to be countered on a regular basis for less informed peoples benefit.

If we just stuck to what "most here" know the thread would go silent.
---
This site is displaying current levels. For my area, Counts Per Minute (CPM) are five times what they were back in Aug., 2011 when I first joined this site. If you want a kick go to current levels at Fukushima…

netc.com...
edit on 13-11-2013 by intrptr because: ETA:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

intrptr

Nice to have them say so but frankly, I think most here realized this from the start. It is an epic disaster that no one wants to learn from. It seems the lesson will have to be taught ad nausea until it sinks in!

Which is why I drop in once in a while and post links… Others new to the site or the ongoing crisis might not be aware of some details.

If we just stuck to what "most here" know the thread would go silent.

This site is displaying current levels. For my area Counts Per Minute (CPM) are five times what they were back in Aug., 2011 when I first joined this site. If you want a kick go to current levels at Fukushima…

netc.com...

? Why are the readings on the netc.com website higher in Washington/Idaho state than Japan, do you have any thoughts on that? I guess Canada has no monitoring.... we probably just rely on whatever 'everyone else' tells us is happening, lol. Thanks for the updates.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wishes

The real problem is that no one is telling the truth. Is it time to ban swimming off Californian beaches. That will never happen! We can not get the information and that by itself should be a massive warning to most but people just want to bury their head and ignore the real dangers.

Imagine the harm to the US fishing fleets if the real levels in fish were made known. Instead, very quietly, the allowable levels of radiation toxicity are increased! If that is not a blatant warning, I don't know what is.

P

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Just imagine if the Typhoon which just laid the Philippines low had crossed that section of Japanese coast at anything near the same strength? They have improvised shells, on some areas ...but not others. The buildings/ruins of at least two could still be torn apart by a powerful storm, and there are tracks from the NOAA database showing them crossing almost over that beach from the 50's onward. Only once or twice, but once is enough to think about.

They need to entomb or contain above all else before Mother Nature makes it much worse by sheer odds of another event happening in a busy part of the world for it.

They're spending with a near blank checkbook and for very good reasons. Build what the place never had and they have all the time to make now. A containment dome.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Due to the soil it is built on Wrabbit, I do not see that as an option. Time and time again it comes back to the decisions, stupid decisions, based on profits, that were made when the facility was built.

P

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by wishes

? Why are the readings on the netc.com website higher in Washington/Idaho state than Japan, do you have any thoughts on that?

I was as stumped by the high backgrounds on that site on the west coast of US. I am hoping that others will take a look at that and do some checking on the validity. One explanation for your question is that the prevailing wind currents blow from Asia across the Pacific to Alaska and North America. Same with the ocean currents.

As far as this goes other sources of pollution come from Asia all the time. Coal smoke from Chinese power plants "sullies" the skies over the western US, for instance. There are pics and an article about windborne pollution. This article is from before Fukushima (2010)…

Pollution from Asia

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

TEPCO rpt and pics:

photo.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

Hi PC!

It's been 33 days now since AC last posted (12 October), has anyone got any idea whats going on?

This thread seems to have slowed down a lot lately or are we all just waiting with baited breathe to see what nonsense the Toxic Effluence Production Company is going to try and convince us of next?

What is the expected date for the removal to start now?

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Is a matter of forging through the tough times and keeping the real point/purpose in mind which is the nuclear emergency at Fukushima. Is just speed bumps...
Is unusual for someone to check out with at least a post saying so. Maybe some of you long timers (pc, q, matador, silverlok, etc.) should exchange contact info - just in case?

I hope the quality of contributions will continue here. This is the only source I use to keep up with this and it's up to the contributors to keep on keeping on. Especially at this (new) critical time when they're going to start playing with the rods.... of one facility... but what about the other 3?

I still don't understand why the facilities aren't buried and forgotten for a few hundred thousand years. Tepco talks about 40(!) years to clean it up, we'll all be glowing well before then. If it's buried isn't it at least 'stopped' on the surface? Anyone?

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by wishes

? Why are the readings on the netc.com website higher in Washington/Idaho state than Japan, do you have any thoughts on that?

I was as stumped by the high backgrounds on that site on the west coast of US. I am hoping that others will take a look at that and do some checking on the validity. One explanation for your question is that the prevailing wind currents blow from Asia across the Pacific to Alaska and North America. Same with the ocean currents.

As far as this goes other sources of pollution come from Asia all the time. Coal smoke from Chinese power plants "sullies" the skies over the western US, for instance. There are pics and an article about windborne pollution. This article is from before Fukushima (2010)…

Pollution from Asia

Years back Cominco in Trail BC had pretty much killed all the vegetation from the smoke stack coming out - so they just built a taller stack that spreads it farther and wider... we are so at the mercy of insane people!!!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

pheonix358
reply to post by wishes

The real problem is that no one is telling the truth. Is it time to ban swimming off Californian beaches. That will never happen! We can not get the information and that by itself should be a massive warning to most but people just want to bury their head and ignore the real dangers.

Imagine the harm to the US fishing fleets if the real levels in fish were made known. Instead, very quietly, the allowable levels of radiation toxicity are increased! If that is not a blatant warning, I don't know what is.

P

Is anyone aware of anyone testing the water and fish in California? Or anywhere for that matter? I'm sure the governments know about every little particle, they're just not telling us so is up to the people to find out - somehow. I stopped eating fish soon after it blew up. Don't know if that's really a big help if the air we breathe is full of *crap*... seems like we're being bombarded from every direction.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

wishes
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

I still don't understand why the facilities aren't buried and forgotten for a few hundred thousand years. Tepco talks about 40(!) years to clean it up, we'll all be glowing well before then. If it's buried isn't it at least 'stopped' on the surface? Anyone?

Because it is not the Japanese Way!

For the Japanese purity and perfection is a huge issue!

They want to accomplish a final State as long as they are alive.

And why should they "bury" this Plant?
Imho the Danger would be much higher when we stop to care about it.

But we still do not know what is happening, maybe they decide for the burial
and maybe not!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

But what i really don't understand is why the US-Americans wait
for the Government to do such Tests,
why is no one reclaiming their own Responsibility?

A Used Spectrograph is not that expensive for a Group of People,
try Fund-Raising, Solidarity Concerts, Vernisages, etc and buy such a Thing
or bring the Samples in to a real Laboratory!

Even as a Business Model i see a huge Future for such Projects,
look how many People pay 20 USD for netc.com ,
how much better would such a Business running!

Look, i feel much better, safer and better informed
since i have access to such Data

I was really paranoid in the Months after 3/11
but the Reality of Disintegrations per Minute grounded me a lot!

Reclaim your own Responsibility and don't wait for others who maybe lie to you!

Regarding netc.com and their Data:

To understand their Service you need to look for the Sampling Points
because they mix up professional Air Filter from the Epa
with Handheld Geiger Counter!

This Air-Filter are checking 60 Cubic Meter and more of Air in a in a Hour,
it is logical that you get different Results than by a normal Geiger-Mueller Tube!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
It is up to the public to end Japan's reliance on nuclear power

Former Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi recently fired the latest salvo in his spirited campaign for weaning Japan from its dependence on nuclear energy.

In a speech Nov. 12 at the Japan National Press Club in Tokyo, Koizumi said, “I think it will be good (for Japan) to end (nuclear power generation) immediately.”

It was a brutally clear message from the mouth of a person who had long been at the center of political power.

Koizumi’s argument is very simple. Since it is not realistically possible to find a location to build final disposal facilities for radioactive waste in Japan, nuclear power plants should not be operated. This is the kernel of his case against using atomic energy.

People who are promoting nuclear power have criticized his argument from various angles.

Some of his critics say it is irresponsible to call for an end to nuclear power generation when the nation does not have strong prospect of coming up with reliable alternative energy sources to replace it. Other proponents of nuclear power warn that dependence on thermal power generation would drive up fuel costs and make further increases in electricity rates inevitable.

But it is difficult to refute the straightforward argument made by Koizumi, who says it is “too optimistic and irresponsible to assume that the site for final disposal of nuclear waste can be eventually found in today’s Japan.”

Asahi-Source

Japan's Nuclear Regulation Authority Reports on Conditions at TEPCO's Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station

On 14 November 2013, the Japanese Nuclear Regulation Authority (NRA) issued a news release in which it detailed requirements that NRA provided TEPCO for undertaking fuel removal from the spent fuel storage pools in reactor buildings to the Common Spent Fuel Pool, under the Act on Regulation of Nuclear Source Material, Nuclear Fuel Material and Nuclear Reactors.

Details of the implementation plan can be accessed at NRA Actions Towards TEPCO Fuel Removal. On 13 November 2013, the Japanese Nuclear Regulation Authority (NRA) provided the IAEA an update on radioactivity in seawater at TEPCO's Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (NPS).

IAEA-Source
edit on 14-11-2013 by Human0815 because: 2 in to 1.!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Purplechive
reply to post by intrptr

TEPCO rpt and pics:

photo.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

Hey Purple Chive. Thanks for the link. Sooo, I was looking around in there at the pictures of the leaks coming out of the PCV. You can see the leak they say they just discovered. Theres a video those pics are from but they don't let you link direct to it.

For those interested: In the link below click on the "circle with an I" in the upper right of the screen, and select "newest", its the second video from the left with a three way split view. The top frame is footage of that leak. Go full screen to see the top frame clearer.

Video from Tepco

That reactor well is a mess. The walls of it are cracked, the feedthrus are disconnected and the water they pour into the damn thing just flows right back out. They say "its collecting in the basement", but really the video shows us but one little one.

Kind of a small leak of the whole truth.

This dilemma they face is why weird ideas about ice wall barriers are being considered. Containing the containing of the containment in an ever growing circle away from the site. "Good thing" the groundwater table and ocean are so close…

new topics

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join