It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake - PART 2

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

happycat39 and everyone, thanks for the reminder about the salt water in the spent fuel pools ... too true.

On FB I clicked the "Like" button on the FB page for The Bulletin Of The Atomic Scientists, then posted a comment for them on that page to start constant monitoring and reporting on the Unit #4 fuel rod removals once that gets going in November, also reminding them that Reuters said that nothing like this "has ever been done before on this scale."

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Rice harvesting starts again in former Fukushima no-entry Zone

The familiar sounds of a rice farmer harvesting his crop in autumn returned to the Miyakoji district here on Oct. 8 for the first time in three years since residents were forced to evacuate due to the accident at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

“The golden scenery (of rice ears) fills me with emotion. I am happy. I hope that my rice harvesting encourages other residents in my district to restart their rice cultivation next year,” said Hisao Tsuboi, who was working a combine harvester in a field about 18 kilometers west of the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant. The reaping of rice marked the first time that it has been conducted in areas that had been previously designated no-entry zones due to the nuclear crisis triggered by the March 11, 2011, Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami.

Asahi-Source:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by KellyPrettyBear

Hey Kelly - thank you for the kind offer to answer questions. I would be interested in, based on your knowledge and experience, what would you do now to try and resolve this fuku nightmare? Who would you pull together as a team for resolution? And do you have any suggestions what people (like us) can do? Who can we appeal to? What needs to be done to at least slow down if not stop this? Thanks for your thoughts!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I am writing this to try to find some personal understanding of the mindset which we can see in this drama being played out. If it helps others, then I am pleased I posted, if it means little, then please ignore it. I hope a little off-topic musing will not hurt in a humungous (combined) thread of this length.

I suppose we just have to acknowledge there will always be people who will do unpleasant things for money, greed, or for national glory and we see it in our cultures over and over again. It is difficult for us who do not believe in the cause to understand how or why it is done and how potentially millions of people could die only because some folk have been indoctrinated with false national pride or unusual morals. I suppose we also get the same thing with religious beliefs, where some folk want to blow themselves and others up for the glory it will bring their cause and to the benefit they themselves earn in heaven.

With that in mind, how much do the Japanese government or Tepco pay to come on forums and fight to keep the illusion alive for a little longer? How much time is gained by this activity? It appears the illusion has to be kept up at all costs and there are many people willing to die "in the trenches" to keep it going. Seemingly, regardless of the pain and suffering which is brought to many others due to this blinkered and selfish approach.

I see on one hand the Japanese asking for help and on the other hand denying the seriousness of the situation for all of their own people. Even their kids and loved ones are not close enough to bring the reality of this event back home to their front door to allow them to wake up and see what they are doing for all of us.

I am happy to realise that the Universe has a way to allow everyone to grow in these situations so I just hope that all those involved do not waste this opportunity to leap forward spiritually and progress.

For the brave 50 or so men who helped in the initial earthquake and tsunami, as well as the others who have done their best along the way to do what they can under very difficult circumstances, we applaud your efforts and contribution.

For the directors and government officials who have other priorities which are not for the benefit of their countrymen, we are sad you have made these choices.

And finally, for those of us looking in from the outside and affected in a secondary way, it is our challenge to see the bigger picture and to celebrate the chance we will all get to grow from these actions and this situation. Take a step back, be upbeat and positive because negativity causes a downward spiral which does no-one any benefit in the long-run.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Well said. The only comment I would make is to the term 'unusual morals.'

I would prefer the term 'different morals.' We should try and understand the differences rather than to suggest we have better morals.

Individually we all have a moral standpoint. Collectively, i.e. our governments do not. If a similar event happened in the US or England or Germany the respective Governments would do much the same. Tepco is operating in the same immoral way that all Corporations would act. The Gulf oil disaster is one such example.

The Japanese people have a National pride that is extremely strong. Admitting they screwed up is very difficult for them which is why they can still find workers even knowing the risks. Seriously, most people would rather not know the risks if nothing can be done to mitigate the problems.

That is the crux of this disaster. There simply are no viable solutions. It cannot be fixed! It is that simple. Every action thus far has been putting band aids on the wound of a patient you know is dying.

The reason that help, meaningful help, is not forthcoming from other countries is that no one has any solutions. Everyone knows this and other countries do not want to send people in in a hopeless situation because any help is doomed to failure and this would only embarrass themselves in front of the rest of the world.

What they are about to do is ill advised and yet they are forced through culture and world expectations to try regardless. The real tragedy here is that every country that uses Atomic power generation knows that it is only a matter of time but the lack of any moral fibre in Governments and Corporations means that this will reoccur and the constant lies and half truths keeps the screaming masses at bay for a while longer.

There is no solution and when you look at the sheer size of the cleanup required in say the US, it may be that there is no solution there either. There are many of these and similar reactors around the world. Just what do you do with the byproducts. Again, no solutions. The US has a facility to handle some and look at the state of that place.

We sit, we watch, in the end we also can do nothing because there is nothing we can do.

P

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

Sorry for a making the next silly question, is there any possibility of exploding the fuel cells ? and what would be the consequences if that happened ?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Voyager2

Sorry for a making the next silly question, is there any possibility of exploding the fuel cells ? and what would be the consequences if that happened ?
Do you mean what would happen if the fuel cells were to explode ? Or.. do you mean what would happen if they were blown up by Tepco in a controlled managed explosion?

Either way, I dont think it would make things better but would spread radiation around. As far as I know, you cannot get rid of radiation by blowing it up, it is just not destroyed or got rid of in that way.

================================
Toxic water splash 6 in Japan nuke plant mishap

The operator of Japan's crippled nuclear power plant says six workers have been exposed to highly radioactive water that poured out of a treatment unit when they removed a wrong pipe.

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Oct. 9 that exposure to the workers, who were wearing face masks and protective gear, is believed minor but still under investigation.

Tons of highly toxic water spilled out in the incident, covering the facility's entire floor, TEPCO said.

The mishap is the latest in a spate of recent leaks and problems caused by human error that have added to public criticism of TEPCO's handling of the crisis.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Melting Metal???

The metal looks like more than just corrosion is going on. Any metal expert out there?

fukushima-diary.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   

qmantoo

As far as I know, you cannot get rid of radiation by blowing it up, it is just not destroyed or got rid of in that way.

Yes. I was suggesting blowing it up. But is stupid. It doesn't solve nothing, it makes it worst.

Now taking in consideration this latest news:
Toxic water splash 6 in Japan nuke plant mishap

Adding up the plans for November by tepco (www.reuters.com...)

The operator of Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear plant is preparing to remove 400 tons of highly irradiated spent fuel from a damaged reactor building, a dangerous operation that has never been attempted before on this scale.

and that:

Removing the rods from the pool is a delicate task normally assisted by computers, according to Toshio Kimura, a former Tepco technician, who worked at Fukushima Daiichi for 11 years. "Previously it was a computer-controlled process that memorized the exact locations of the rods down to the millimeter and now they don't have that. It has to be done manually so there is a high risk that they will drop and break one of the fuel rods," Kimura said.

now taking in account that:

Each fuel rod assembly weighs about 300 kilograms (660 pounds) and is 4.5 meters (15 feet) long. There are 1,331 of the spent fuel assemblies and a further 202 unused assemblies are also stored in the pool,

and

"There is a risk of an inadvertent criticality if the bundles are distorted and get too close to each other," Gundersen said.
He was referring to an atomic chain reaction that left unchecked could result in a large release of radiation and heat that the fuel pool cooling system isn't designed to absorb

The rods are also vulnerable to fire should they be exposed to air, Gundersen said.

this is like suicide (in global scale)

"The No. 4 unit was not operating at the time of the accident, so its fuel had been moved to the pool from the reactor, and if you calculate the amount of cesium 137 in the pool, the amount is equivalent to 14,000 Hiroshima atomic bombs," said Hiroaki Koide, assistant professor at Kyoto University Research Reactor Institute.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Found this and thought it appropriate to share with all the ATS nuclear warriors....

Keep rocking and rolling.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Thanks DWW!

Some scary stuff is going down!

Rice anyone? Anyone? ANYONE????
edit on 9/10/13 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

You're welcome and...um, I'll pass on the rice. Nope.

source

edit on 9-10-2013 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

There's gotta be one Human, at least one Human that would be prepared to buy some speciality Rice, doesn't need cooking, it's already been nuked! FookooNuku Rice!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Verry funny.............you are ALL DEAD!
This is the precursor to many failures to come.......
Its been obvious from the Chernobyl accident.
It is a death sentence for humanity as we kew it........
CASE CLOSED>

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Even dead men are allowed to laugh on their way to the gallows. (or hospital)

Basically, when you know you have only a few more months or years to live, you re-appraise your life and appreciate the things which are most important to you. This is what everyone with terminal cancer realises when they are told of the prognosis by their doctor.

Now we can all know what it is like to have a deadly disease and know that our life is going to last a certain amount of time.

OK, basically we are all hoping that a solution can be found, that the rods do not explode or catch fire, and that Tepco or the world's scientists pull a huge rabbit out of their hat.

Religious folk may turn to God to provide a solution, however, it is looking less and less likely that this rabbit will appear and that a God will come up with the goods, so it is just a matter of probabilities now, and they dont look too good at all.

I believe they are due to start pulling the fuel rods in early November.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Former PM Naoto Kan of Japan Speaks Out on Fukushima

With Arnie Gunderson

"To abolish nuclear energy is the only way," Kan said.

"There is only one way to eliminate the accident completely, that is to to abolish nuclear power plants. Especially with regard to nuclear energy we are leaving negative heritage to our future generation. Therefore, it is really crucial that we establish a society that rely on natural energy. This is very important lesson not only for Japan, not only for the U.S., but for all over the world," he said in closing.

edit on 9-10-2013 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Lessons from Fukushima: Japanese Red Cross digital archive goes live

In a significant step towards sharing and building on the lessons of the Fukushima nuclear disaster, the Japanese Red Cross Society has launched an online nuclear disaster digital archive. Available at ndrc.jrc.or.jp... it makes available a range of material on its response and future preparedness, and is part of a wider nuclear disaster resource centre.

The platform documents the Japanese Red Cross Society’s experience since the triple meltdown, which followed a magnitude-9 earthquake on 11 March 2011, along with interviews with relief teams, and doctors and nurses from Red Cross hospitals.

Mr Tadateru Konoé, President of both the Japanese Red Cross Society and the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), said he hoped the digital archive “can truly contribute to humanitarian assistance in nuclear disasters by helping us to learn from the past, cope with the problems at present, and prepare for the future”.

RC-Source:

reply to post by wiser3

I am sure that this Rice from F'Shima is safer from Radioactivity than any other Product.

We don't need to (try to -) save Tohoku when Humans can't use
that Area, everyone who is calling for a Evacuation of this Area
without even realizing the low Levels of Contamination
is calling for Murderer of a Life-Style. Murderer of a Culture!

We need to learn to use the Soil even of the most contaminated Soil
but even close to the Plant we find normal Levels
(European/ USA Levels in a Kg of Soil)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Yes, you are correct, there are no viable options. It seems to me though, that we need to add the yet to that statement. No viable options yet.....yet.

One of the innate problems of covering up disasters and tragedies, especially of this magnitude, is that it has made the situation worse. The minds around the world should have been in global working groups from day one not trying to peer into draped reactors left to guess what's become of MIA cores.

But now...now when the world's eyes and minds and imaginations can turn towards Fukushima without being called alarmist....I pray for the aha moments to strike some among us, somewhere, and that we will find ways to right this negative heritage that we have left burned upon our earth.

The world has its moon shot at Fukushima. We, everyone, has to get serious about throwing everything we've got or haven't invented yet at this and try.

Being honest about the true dire situation has been a huge step and finally, after two years, the reality is just beginning to sink in with the main stream. Sadly it took far longer to sink in than the radiation has, is and will.

And we need a how to cure cancer working group too. The efforts are being seeded. They need to grow.

Peace and I'm sorry we all are living in this reality of Fukushima. I believe we can do better. We are capable of far better.

edit on 9-10-2013 by DancedWithWolves because: aaargh phone auto insert....stop it

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Well said, I am impressed. Yes if they had admitted the danger from day one, things may be different. Although of course we have no way of telling. I am left wondering if this has been done from the outset. Phone calls and vidlinks between all the atomic scientists and engineers. I would truly be amazed if it had not.

Either way we would be the last to know.

Extracting those rods make me excessively nervous. IMHO they have no real idea what would happen if they drop just one! Oh yes, they have truck loads of theoretical nonsense, but no real proven knowledge or experience.

One breaks and drops on the others and it may just make a fizzing sound, much the same sound as all the pants being filled up if you know what I mean. I would hate to be the guy on the remote control joystick! They should give him his medal for valor before he starts the job.

Of course we also could see the largest N explosion in the Earths history. They just do not know.

Hint, get out of the share market right now.

P

edit on 9/10/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

wiser3

There's gotta be one Human, at least one Human that would be prepared to buy some speciality Rice, doesn't need cooking, it's already been nuked! FookooNuku Rice!

Anne Coulter would like several bags of FookooNuku thanks

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join