It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake - PART 2

page: 133
<< 130  131  132    134  135  136 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

lol, I've hinted at this for some time now. the alpha and beta can be corralled as they have attraction. the gamma is a different beast.
f.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: fakedirt
I am gladly echoing your hint then.

Note to IRID and Tepco...can we get a working group on generating a magnetic field around Fukushima while you are working on remote control devices to take a gander in the primary containment vessel of Unit 2?

What's New IRID?

Back to the beast...Fukushima's Gamma Radiation...which is gushing out into the water and elsewhere apparently based on recent readings...with no end in sight.

So how are we protected from the sun's gamma radiation? There's this fairly simplified explanation I found helpful.

There's a lot of gamma ray radiation being produced in the sun's core from fusion reactions, so why are we not bombarded by gamma ray radiation? Those gamma ray photons need to escape from the sun's core, into the outer edge, and then finally from the surface. These photons are colliding with matter constantly, resulting in a photon diffusion process. It actually takes the average gamma ray photon about 170,000 years to diffuse out of the radiative zone. Once a gamma ray actually diffuses outward to the surface as a result of the constant collisions it has been converted into millions of visible wavelength photons.

Gamma ray photons produced by fission make their arduous journey to the surface of the Sun, they are continuously absorbed by the solar plasma and re-emitted to lower frequencies. By the time they get to the surface, their frequencies are mostly only within the IR/visible light/UV spectrum.

And for when things go nutz and Gamma rays do come out (think Coronal Mass Ejections) we have this amazing atmosphere...

The Earth's atmosphere stops most Gamma Rays. It is "as thick to gamma-rays as a twelve-foot thick plate of aluminum".

So just to keep this straight...we need magnetic fields, solar plasma, photon collisions (a lot of them), and an artificially created atmosphere with column density...and then we can figure out how to pick up corium that is burning into the ground, in a riverbed, into the ocean.

Going to need many more of these aren't we?

Sources

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: matadoor

Just had a friend from Japan visit who had taken a trip up the eastern Honshu coastline photographing the current situation. The pictures show a totally different story than what is presented in the press. The photos start in Ibaraki way south of Fuku. You can still see a lot of empty lots where houses and buildings once stood, but also people walking around and new buildings going up. Then half way to Fuku you see the same thing but with less building going on and very few cars on the road or people walking around. Then as you get closer to Fuku you see empty lots overgrown with grass, some spots with debris from the tsunami still piled high and maybe one or two cars on the road and no people in sight yet it is still an area that is supposedly safe to return to. He said there are a fair number of people now living in these areas but they dont go outside except to get in a car and travel somewhere. The day of taking the dog for a walk is dead.

When you get to the restricted area nearer to and around Fuku you see piled debris, empty lots and nothing else.

It made me sad. Had the nuke accident not happened by now the whole coastline would be in transition to a rebuilt and more normal state. Because of Fuku a fifty mile stretch of that coastline will never go back to normal no matter how hard the Japanese govt pretends it should be.

And the potential for Fuku to go off again is very real.

You made the right decision M. The reason they are bringing in so many outside workers is because the locals know its all BS.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
You know that old saying about history. Here we go again. If they don't know what to do about radioactive waste from the 50s, who's kidding who about Fuku.

From www.theguardian.com...

This Dome In The Pacific Houses Tons Of Radioactive Waste – And It's Leaking

The Runit Dome in the Marshall Islands is a hulking legacy of years of US nuclear testing. Below the 18-inch concrete cap rests the United States’ cold war legacy to this remote corner of the Pacific Ocean: 111,000 cubic yards of radioactive debris left behind after 12 years of nuclear tests.

Brackish water pools around the edge of the dome, where sections of concrete have started to crack away. Underground, radioactive waste has already started to leach out of the crater. According to a 2013 report by the US Department of Energy, soil around the dome is already more contaminated than its contents. Now locals and scientists are warning that rising sea levels caused by climate change could cause 111,000 cubic yards of debris to spill into the ocean.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Happy 4th July Mates! Although it is NOT really happy when we still have Fuku & now
the bloody Marshall Islands...WTF!

Dances Awesome post of the new robot...I really wish you & FD could get
people to listen to your ideas.

Hey do you guys remember the one dude that stayed...he was an older gentleman
who had I believe cattle & (not sure if sheep) & a dog or 2 maybe a few more animals
& he was right there at Fuku & would NOT leave any of them behind so he stayed &
took care of them...If I remember correctly there was even a video about him...I saw it
here on the computer because I don't have TV.

Anyone know what happened to him? He wasn't old I think maybe 60 or so?

Cheers
Ektar

Thank you again to EVERYONE here to keep us updated & informed!

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
More evidence of something cooking deep underground that isn't from corium.

Iori is reporting this AM that their attempt to freeze the ground in preparation for a frozen wall surrounding the reactors has not only failed after two months of constant freezing, the highest temps are west of Unit 4 where they can't get the area to go below 10C.

fukushima-diary.com...

Also; Ektar I remember who you are referring to but can't find any info on him. This could mean he has passed away and they are keeping it quiet. He was tending not only his own animals, but other strays as well.

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Ektar

metro.co.uk...

macchan was still there as of march. I couldn't find any updates on him. this guy needs to be in charge of the whole fubar situation imo. a true heart.

f

update to 15/06/2015
jpninfo.com...

edit on 5-7-2015 by fakedirt because: update

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: zworld

hello z

the access plate you posted with the unidentified substance which issued from the gap.

fukushima-diary.com...

some thoughts on the matter.
I had footage on vhs of the Chernobyl corium where it settled in the sub-basement. the colour and visual texture looks the same. the Chernobyl corium was nicknamed the elephants foot.

perhaps the substance is a seal that has failed. if so it could be an edpm seal.

if you look at the picture in the above link, notice the different spots of colour and colour range. a similar effect was noticed in the Chernobyl sub-basement mixed in with picture granulation. I am speculating that the different colour spots are radioactive emissions of differing elements.

f

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Ektar, glad fakedirt could find out about that good Samaritan.

While looking up old stuff I did come across an article that made me laugh from the New Scientist magazine. Maybe they should retitle their mag to Dumb Scientist.

"Though the crisis at Fukushima is not over, it is almost certain that the loss of life and destruction caused directly by the earthquake and tsunami will dwarf any harm from the damaged reactors. Advocates of nuclear power might even argue that the ad hoc efforts to avert catastrophe should be considered a success, given that the quake was far more severe than any that these reactors were designed to withstand."

Will dwarf any harm. Are you kidding me. Stupid idiots.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

lol it should say neutered scientist. that should rile them up a bit. just waiting for the death ray now!
f

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

& Z

WOW thank you so much for finding Macchan!
I'm Lic Vet tech & working with animals since 1995.
That guy took my heart when he returned to care for ALL
the animals. I am very surprised that he is still alive.

He looks to be very healthy & the animals that he cares for are thriving.
Do you think he will suffer from the radiation?
Maybe he was given a gift since he gave his life for these guys?

I really do appreciate that you guys remembered him too! That means
alot to me as I have thought about him off & on since the disaster began.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Interesting if accurate...

ORGANISMS CAPTURE RADIATION: BLACK FUNGUS

Melanin pigments in black fungi harness energy for metabolism by scattering/trapping photons and electrons from ionizing radiation.

Source

"Melanins are unique biopolymers that protect living organisms against UV and ionizing radiation and extreme temperatures…For example, the melanotic fungus C. [Cladosporium] cladosporioides manifests radiotropism by growing in the direction of radioactive particles and this organism has become widely distributed in the areas surrounding Chernobyl since the nuclear accident in 1986 [7]. Both in the laboratory and in the field several other species of melanized fungi grew towards soil particles contaminated with different radionuclides, gradually engulfing and destroying those particles

two other species of fungus to extravagantly high levels of radiation in the laboratory. Radiation, they discovered, increases the growth of species that have melanin, the dark pigment that also occurs in human skin. Furthermore, when the investigators irradiated melanin in isolation, they noted dramatic changes in its electronic properties. Melanin seems to capture energy from radiation and convert it to chemical energy, much the way chlorophyll in plants captures the energy of sunlight.

So we need to build...

A Dyson Sphere completely around Fukushima (and under it) out of the best concoction we can come up with of radiation shielding.

Designs vary, but typically involve a gradient from high-Z (usually tantalum) through successively lower-Z elements such as tin,steel, and copper, usually ending withaluminium. Sometimes even lighter materials such as polypropylene or boron carbide are used. [9][10]

In a typical graded-Z shield, the high-Z layer effectively scatters protons and electrons. It also absorbs gamma rays, which produces X-ray fluorescence. Each subsequent layers absorbs the X-ray fluorescence of the previous material, eventually reducing the energy to a suitable level. Each decrease in energy produces bremsstrahlung and Auger electrons, which are below the detector's energy threshold. Some designs also include an outer layer of aluminium

Source

THEN...

Line the Fukushima Dyson Sphere on the inside with black fungus...

Oh and capture the energy output of the fungus after conversion to generate power for clean up inside with fancy robots, etc.

Well, at least I didn't use the word diaper once in that post.

ETA
Or we can all start looking like THIS

Since the naked mole rat seems immune to cancer
Source
edi t on 6-7-2015 by DancedWithWolves because: ETA

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DancedWithWolves Melanin seems to capture energy from radiation and convert it to chemical energy, much the way chlorophyll in plants captures the energy of sunlight.

That is pretty amazing. And theyve been using it already at Chernobyl.

Amazing. I will look into this further. Thanks DWW

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I think biotech is the answer.

The same could be done with nanotech but it would just copy biotech anyways so biotech is the easiest answer to the Fukushima problem.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
From the "We have yet to learn a lesson" department, we have this:

ajw.asahi.com...

Kyushu Electric starts transferring nuclear fuel into Sendai reactor
July 07, 2015

By JUNICHIRO NAGASAKI/ Staff Writer
Kyushu Electric Power Co. on July 7 began moving nuclear fuel into a reactor on expectations it will be the first in Japan to restart under tougher safety regulations implemented after the Fukushima disaster.

All 157 nuclear fuel rod bundles will be transferred to the No. 1 reactor at the Sendai nuclear plant in Satsuma-Sendai, Kagoshima Prefecture, over a four-day period.

Cranes were used to move each fuel rod bundle from a storage pool in an adjacent building, and work will continue around the clock to complete the process by July 10.

Kyushu Electric Power is seeking to restart the No. 1 reactor in mid-August after the Nuclear Regulation Authority completes the final phases of its safety screening.

NRA officials will continue with their equipment screening even after the nuclear fuel is moved into the reactor. The screening is expected to take another month or so and will include confirmation that water gauges in the reactor and equipment to inject coolant are functioning properly.

The NRA will also check Kyushu Electric Power’s measures to deal with emergencies, including training exercises on how to respond to severe accidents.

More at the link.....

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Strontium-90

Emulates calcium.

Sharks - cartilage.

Whales, Sea Lions, Dolphins - bones.

Decay heat significant.

Sharks pelagic.

- Purple Chive

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Hey mates sorry I am clueless...the Radcon level in
Hartford Connecticut had been "A" = 5 Rad alert...sorry I think was at
96 CPM all afternoon & now is Rad 3 at 55 CPM...

Isn't Rad 5 a huge deal or is everyone now trained to not mind them?

Sorry but if my town was Rad 3 status I would be concerned & a Bloody
Rad 5 damn I would not be leaving me house...

Am I just not understanding?

Cheers
Ektar
edit on 872015 by Ektar because: added more info

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   

modernsurvivalblog.com...

as I understand it, the level you posted is quite high and is above ordinary background levels.
takes a little maths for conversion values.

a recent development on the eurdep sites is the use of nano Sieverts from micro sv/hr. lol when it's working!

f

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   

as I understand it, the level you posted is quite high and is above ordinary background levels.
Then you probably don't actually understand it.

Disclaimer: Do not rely upon this information for life or health, it is only one person’s estimation based on a several hours research and punching calculator buttons.

modernsurvivalblog.com...

Several hours of research. Oh my.

"Rad 5" does not actually mean much of anything. In particular if it is based on spikes from a home Geiger counter.

edit on 7/9/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Ektar, theres alot of radiation floating around these days. Bakersfield is getting cooked on a regular basis. Though 100 is considered a warning threshold, numerous places around the US have been posting readings from 400 CPM to over 1000 CPM in the last few years and no one in government is responding to this increased threat.

So being under 100 is probably a good thing in comparison.

Not that its a good thing though.

top topics

<< 130  131  132    134  135  136 >>

join