It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake - PART 2

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
"Fence over-topped at plant " They mean that little 7 inch curb around the tanks is overflowing. Rivers probably running down everywhere. What the hell do they expect workers to do in gail force winds and rain, with that? Maybe Tepco needs a crew of sponge Bob's?
enenews.com... ctor-basements-and-tunnels-from-overflowing
We can expect to see TEPCO dump as much rad water as possible and blame it on the Typhoon! They've been waiting for this.

So the drain is 2 1/2 million bequerels, then they clean it. Then it's reading 4 million. What do you suppose they're cleaning it with? Some new fabulous product called Mr Bikini Atoll?... And this is only 1 drain.
How many bananas is that? lol
fukushima-diary.com...β-nuclides-detected-in-drain-is-contaminated-water-still-leaking/

Some insight into the plight of the farmers, who are still growing and selling food.

If that doesn't work, here is the u-tube link.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

We can expect to see TEPCO dump as much rad water as possible and blame it on the Typhoon! They've been waiting for this.

Indeed... and they admit it too.

"But we decided to release the water into sea as we reached a conclusion that it can be regarded as rainfall after we monitored levels of radiation," TEPCO spokesman Yo Koshimizu said.

According to the spokesman, one litre of the water contained up to 24 becquerels of strontium and other radioactive materials -- below the 30 becquerel per litre safety limit imposed by Japanese authorities for a possible release to the environment.

However, it was unknown how much water was released to sea under the "emergency measure," Koshimizu said.

www.channelnewsasia.com...

"Emergency release measures." Riiight...

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Human0815
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

When i would measure such a high Amount i would do a deeper Screening,
maybe even contact a Laboratory for a professional Check Up,
it is not that expensive to get a Statement!
(Checks coming from low as 250$ for Soil)

why bother, an analysis won't make it go away, it won't stop it from poisoning my family for decades, if we last decades.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Just addressing one part of your post.

Does anyone know anymore about this trapping mechanism and what forces are acting on the radioactive particles that make them form into belts?

The energetic particles that ride earths magnetic field to the poles are not "radioactive particles" like the contamination from Fuku. Its a problem of definition really.

Radiation from the sun can kill you but won't contaminate you the way a particle of radioactive Plutonium can.

An X-ray or gamma ray from the sun passes thru your body (hopefully without hitting anything) and is gone. The "source" of the "ray" is indeed the sun.

On the other hand, a particle of radioactive contamination from Fuku if ingested is like swallowing a mini X-ray machine that can't be turned off. If absorbed that source sits in your bones and connective tissue and irradiates cells around it, potentially giving rise to cancer.

Thats a real short answer of the difference between the two "sources" (the Sun and Fuku).

Heres a linky...

...and a video about the short decay path "alpha" emitters exhibit. Its "techie", ignore the tools used and focus more on the strip of Americium from the smoke detector. Alpha rays travel very short distances (5 to 10 microns) but do lethal damage to body cells in that range. Some die, some mutate...

Earths electromagnetic field and radio antenna's aren't able to address thee issues of man made radioactivity down here on the planet.

What is often left out, in fact it is ALWAYS left out, is that the Sun's "radiation" is needed for our consciousness to evolve. We need the full spectrum of energy from the Sun in order to exist in any meaningful way on earth. MOX fuel leftovers do the opposite. They destroy a Human's ability to process their consciousness through the body. The endless argument about "gee the Sun has radiation..." is done by either remarkably stupid people, or people who are no human. Before some ignorant ass says, "well science doesn't say that suff about your stupid consciousness" I will say this, "I say it, I'm human and I know damn well what affects my consciousness and the MOX fuel left overs are akin to slugging down a bottle of rat poison prior to running a marathon."

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

What is often left out, in fact it is ALWAYS left out, is that the Sun's "radiation" is needed for our consciousness to evolve.

The sun also warms us, lights our path and makes things grow.

If I am warm, my belly is full and I can see, then yes my consciousness is developing. Thats clean energy.

But X-rays, gamma rays and neutrinos have deadly potential whether they are from the sun, a supernova in deep space or man made.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
They are asking...any ideas?

JP Gov “There is no technology to remove Tritium from contaminated water”/Appeal international world for technology

On 9/12/2013, NRA (Nuclear Regulation Authority) reported there is no technology to remove Tritium from the significant volume of the contaminated water.

They held the working group meeting for the contaminated water in Fukushima nuclear plant on 9/12/2013. In this meeting, they stated Tepco is expecting the multiple nuclides removing system (ALPS) to purify the contaminated water clean enough to discharge.

However, even after the treatment by ALPS, radioactive water Tritium remains in the water. The density is approx. 100,000,000,000 Bq/m3.

The working group concluded it is impossible to remove Tritium with the existing technology, they decided to appeal the world for the new technology.

Source

And about the water discharged as "rainwater" from the same source

It seems like Tepco confusingly announced the contamination levels of “rainwater” to be lower than actual before discharge.

Due to the Typhoon, Tepco discharged the “rainwater” retained in 7 tank areas. However, all β nuclide readings were announced to be higher than before discharge in 4 of 7 tank areas according to their announcement after the discharge. Both of the readings were based on the samples taken before the discharge, so logically they should be the same level.

The largest increase was from 2,000 Bq/m3 (announced before discharge) to 20,000 Bq/m3 (announced after discharge). The second largest increase was from 3,000 Bq/m3 (announced before discharge) to 6,000 Bq/m3 (announced before discharge).

(announced before discharge) → (announced after discharge)

2,000→20,000 Bq/m3
6,000→10,000 Bq/m3
3,000→6,000 Bq/m3
8,000→15,000 Bq/m3[

Our friend at Fukushima Diary also posted a concerning column today...

As a person who’s constantly moving, the only thing to keep me secure is being read by thousands of the readers all the time.

I’m in the very unfortified state, it’s protecting me to keep communicating with all around the world.

Even if I’m troubled somewhere or down in the room alone, almost nobody is going to realize it for a while.

It’s easier than anything to set me up, such as I was involved in some crime or accident because nobody is going to see it.

so I would like to ask my readers to worry about me if I don’t update Fukushima Diary for 2 days. If I leave no message for 3 days, please make some noise.

In that case, probably

1. I got something in my computer.

2. I got something in my server.

3. I’m in trouble.

I hope it will never happen but there’s nothing to lose to prepare an emergency plan.

Stay safe. Tin foil hats may help.

Source

edit on 16-9-2013 by DancedWithWolves because: feakin html

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Japanese officials visit Korea to demand removal of import ban

A group of nine officials from Japan's fisheries ministry visited Korea's food watchdog on Monday afternoon to discuss Korea's recent import ban on all fisheries products from Japan's radiation-hit Fukushima and seven other nearby prefectures. The officials from Japan's Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, reportedly explained to their Korean counterparts the countermeasures that have been taken against radiation leaks, and asked that the ban be lifted.

The Korean government in return asked for more detailed information on the radiation leak out of Fukushima, saying that what they've been provided thus far is not sufficient enough to determine whether imports from those regions are safe from radiation.

Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary earlier this month tried to reassure the international community about the safety of Japanese products.

Read the whole Report:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   

LittleBlackEagle

Human0815
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

When i would measure such a high Amount i would do a deeper Screening,
maybe even contact a Laboratory for a professional Check Up,
it is not that expensive to get a Statement!
(Checks coming from low as 250$ for Soil)

why bother, an analysis won't make it go away, it won't stop it from poisoning my family for decades, if we last decades.

Because you are able to work even with contaminated Soil
or in a contaminated Environment
without getting to much contaminated by your self
but first you need to know
"what is really inside" of your Soil!

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
So, i got today the Measurements in Pdf Form:
Olympic Sokuteikai:

This letter is to inform you of the results of our measurements of the radioactivity levels at thirty-seven stadiums, facilities, and selected places for the 2020 Olympic Games if they are held in Tokyo. Our group, Citizen Group for Measuring Radioactive Environment of the Facilities for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics (referred hereafter as Citizen Group for Measuring Radioactive Environment) consists of approximately forty volunteers living in Tokyo or its surrounding areas.

Values of Atmospheric Radiation
at 1 metre above the earth
(unit:μSv/h) Number of measured points whose
value is in the level showed in left
(152 points of 36 facilities out of
37 measured)
less than 0.05 for 9 Places
0.05 ~0.10 for 102 Places
0.10 ~0.15 for 36 Places
0.15 ~0.20 for 3 Places
over 0.20 for 2 Places

edit on 17-9-2013 by Human0815 because: Info

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Ok you humans who can speak Japanese...or help translate....here is another indicative problem we have - the Nuclear Regulation Authority on contaminated water is reportedly issuing an appeal to the world....except they only issued this world-wide appeal....in Japanese, somewhere within these documents???

NRA

As I earlier stated, Fukushima Diary posted that the NRA (Nuclear Regulation Authority) reported there is no technology to remove Tritium from the contaminated water.

They held the working group meeting for the contaminated water in Fukushima nuclear plant on 9/12/2013. In this meeting, they stated Tepco is expecting the multiple nuclides removing system (ALPS) to purify the contaminated water clean enough to discharge.

However, even after the treatment by ALPS, radioactive water Tritium remains in the water. The density is approx. 100,000,000,000 Bq/m3.

The working group concluded it is impossible to remove Tritium with the existing technology, they decided to appeal the world for the new technology.

An appeal to the world...posted in Japanese only.

Can anyone here look at those documents and help translate this appeal?

A comment to Fukushima Diary's post states

There are NATURAL processes that have worked for millions of years.
Kelp and algae, all aquatic creatures take up tritium.
Freshwater and seawater bivalves filter feed tritium.
An enclosed aquaculture pond system can concentrate and removed the contaminants from the waste water at Fukushima.

And remember in recent weeks Tepco has reported escalating and alarming Tritium notices; they have said water would be dumped when it was at safe limits. Water WAS dumped. And now this report says they have no way to make it at safe limits...and want help....but they dumped anyway....correct?

And is Tritium the only "bad thing" they can't get out of this water??? Not to mention the "other" water/river.

And as an aside, who has made the "billions and billions of yen" that has reportedly been paid out for these unwelded leaky tanks? Hmmmmmm????

Morning all.....

edit on 17-9-2013 by DancedWithWolves because: Not enough coffee

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

You get this high Amounts of Tritium by Concentration,
the Water in the Tanks are not really Water anymore!
(also the Reason why the Tanks do not work like planned)

First they evaporate a lot of the H2O (from the cooling Water)
and than they let the rest flow through the ALP-System
until only 1% of the nuclear Garbage remain,
sadly included Tritium.

So, i guess the increased the amount of Water
until they get acceptable Amounts per m3!
edit on 17-9-2013 by Human0815 because: info and spell

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
"Tepco researcher says it’s impossible to contain radioactive waste water leaking from Fukushima plant"
"Tokyo’s move is little more than the proverbial “audacity of a thief.”
enenews.com...

"1,130 tons of water released onto ground"
Only rain, they say. Don't laugh!
www3.nhk.or.jp...

US stooge Lake Barrett
"Japan should begin preparing to release a massive tide of water from the wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant into the Pacific Ocean"
www.infiniteunknown.net... eedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+InfiniteUnknown+%28Infinite+Unknown%29

"Gundersen: They’ve admitted that all the boron has disintegrated in between spent fuel at Fukushima — It can cause a nuclear chain reaction if rods get too close together in pool"
enenews.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
With all that is happening at Fukushima making comments about it is pretty much beating a dead horse. Unfortunately, we are the dead horse; we just haven't gotten into our graves and pulled the dirt in after us yet.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
The pillow cases full of dirt didn't hold. Another mildstone for nuclear engineers, everywhere.
fukushima-diary.com...

The kettle calls the pot black.
"Experts at IAEA meet criticize Japan for ongoing problems at Fukushima"
www.japantimes.co.jp...

"NRC CHAIRMAN JACZKO: Yes. So, again, just to repeat, we believe pool No. 4 is dry, and we believe one of the other pools is potentially structurally damaged?
CHUCK CASTO: And we certainly know, I think we absolutely know that pool No. 4, though, the walls have collapsed "
enformable.com... thing-else-gone/

It seems I can't even post the older pics of #4 blowing that are already in my picture bank with this new format.

Grainy film off of India news. 27 seconds to 1:05 is #4 blowing.
www.youtube.com...

Nothing on Monju today, eh? So it was either a dumping at fuk distraction or they are having serious problems?

I'm not sure about this but I think tepco is still digging and filling more, new inground pools? We saw some evidence in that last over-head satellite shot of the south end of fuk, and I have some ground close-ups, from a German article, [which I can't upload to ATS yet]
Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if after they said in June, they would stop digging and filling inground pools, that they just kept on going.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
TEPCO delayed tackling radioactive water in 2011 due to bankruptcy fears

Tokyo Electric Power Co. put off dealing with radiation-contaminated water at its crippled nuclear power plant more than two years ago because it feared the cost of fixing the problem could bankrupt the utility. While TEPCO has grudgingly admitted it was concerned about facing bankruptcy, two lawmakers have told The Asahi Shimbun that the utility feared it would go under if it went ahead with the project.

The decision taken at the time apparently led to a delay in dealing with the radioactive water issue that has now reached crisis proportions. The two Democratic Party of Japan lawmakers were closely involved in dealing with the disaster at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant triggered by the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami.

One of them is Banri Kaieda, who became DPJ president in 2012. At the time he served as minister of economy, trade and industry and was in charge of nuclear energy policy.

The other lawmaker was Sumio Mabuchi who served as special adviser to Naoto Kan, who was then prime minister. Mabuchi was in charge of dealing with the nuclear accident. He said he became aware early on that steps had to be taken to deal with radiation-contaminated water.

In May 2011, just two months after the nuclear disaster unfolded, TEPCO realized that groundwater was becoming contaminated after flowing into reactor buildings.

To prevent the contaminated water from leaking outside of the buildings, Mabuchi put together a report that called for constructing an impermeable steel wall sunk into the ground surrounding the structures.

However, TEPCO the following month came up with an estimate that 100 billion yen ($1 billion) would be needed to do that.

Read the whole Asahi-Source:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
September 2013 Iitate-Mura, Fukushima Prefecture, Japan. 45 km. Northwest of Daiichi NPP.
35 X background on air 1000 X times by the down spout.

www.youtube.com...

You saw the rad vid at the fish market? Lots of other shoppers around but no one came over and looked, or asked questions of the man with the PM 1704? Total lunacy. They seem to go out of their way Not to look at geigers when someone is measuring.
Look at Human? He measures where the olympic events will be.... 1 meter off the ground.
Afraid to put it down on the soil and film in the same locations eh?
Have we missed your weekly films of the protests you've attended in front of tepco head quarters?
Do the Japanese panic, ever? What will it take for people to actually do anything?

The picture says it all.
fukushima-diary.com...
photo.tepco.co.jp...

The stack between R #1 and R #2 is over 10 sieverts again.... or still.
enenews.com... -nearby-press-conference-to-explain-incident-photo

And a link back to Aug 011 when it was also over 10 sieverts.
www.japannewstoday.com...

I'm off to Toronto on the weekend for the lecture on the insanity of storing nuclear waste under the Great Lakes. Yes they're serious. If you haven't signed the petition, please do.
www.gopetition.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

ANALYSIS: The long road ahead in ending Fukushima water problem

Even geography is working against Tokyo Electric Power Co. and the government in their struggle to deal with the persistent problem of radiation-contaminated water at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant.

The site receives so much groundwater that special equipment--rendered useless by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami--was set up to prevent the plant’s buildings from floating on the continuous flow. The most pressing problem is stopping the groundwater from entering the plant’s reactor buildings, becoming contaminated and spilling into the sea.

But it is far from the only obstacle in the roadmap to decommission the reactors at the stricken plant.

TEPCO still does not know all the details of how and where groundwater is entering the buildings. Also in the dark about the full extent of the problem, the central government has stepped in and is resorting to unprecedented measures with potential pitfalls.

An estimated 800 to 1,000 tons of groundwater flows daily in the direction of the Fukushima plant buildings, a volume much larger than those at other nuclear plants.

The original site of the Fukushima No. 1 plant was a cliff more than 30 meters high. But 20 meters was lopped off to create the foundation of the nuclear plant, putting the groundwater level only a few meters below the surface.

The plant itself was constructed on land containing gravel layers through which water can easily pass through. In the past, a brook trickled by the No. 4 reactor.

According to Atsunao Marui, who heads the Groundwater Research Group at the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, rain makes up most of the groundwater at the Fukushima plant. Water also flows in from the Abukuma Highlands.

Good Analysis:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I measure always on the Ground, as seen in my Channel:

But normally it is not usus to do so because we are not living on the Ground,
we are not living in Corners or in a Drain Ditch, you should first have a look
how a real estimation about the Radioactivity is made before you try
to criticize People who are doing something instead of sitting there and
just Ranting about the Situation!

Edit: By the Way the Measurements are done by 40 different People
and also 5 Cm above the Ground, all you need is patience to read it!

edit on 18-9-2013 by Human0815 because: see above

And here you can see why not so many People participate anymore,
because we don't like it to be treated like Criminals:

edit on 18-9-2013 by Human0815 because: video

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Thank you so much Aircooled for taking the time to inform us of the ongoing issues. On just this one page alone I have seen the explosion at number 4, (first time for me), read the scary transcripts of the empty and dry fuel pools in the early days of the crisis and been updated on the typhoon damage (like the failed "bag of dirt" dam).

This is invaluable information to my mind, questions answered by your posts.

Thanks again.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

TEPCO, Japanese officials ignored early warnings from US regarding Fukushima leaks

As early as two months after Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami hit the Fukushima nuclear power facility and causing multiple reactor meltdowns, experts from the United States have warned Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) – the plant’s operator – and Japanese government officials to take immediate steps to prevent groundwater contamination and eventual leakage, but this memo was shelved and successfully lobbied against as the cost for the steps would bring the utility operator closer to insolvency.

This fact was revealed by two officials who participated in the discussions and documents prepared by both governments and the utility, even as TEPCO now battles with a 300 ton daily amount of contaminated groundwater leaking into the Pacific Ocean.

TEPCO had aggressively lobbied against the proposed barrier wall that would have prevented huge amounts of groundwater from leaking because the cost at that point was estimated near US$1 billion (nearly 100 billion yen) could have started speculation and impact an already fragile investor base. A TEPCO spokesman also said that there had been concerns about the feasibility of the proposal.

Japan Source:

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join