Atheist/Agnostics: Please come and tell me what you think.

page: 1
5
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Ok, so I constantly see atheist who get on here and are completely wrong about what Christian believe is necessary for entrance to heaven. You see Christianity is unique in a very special way, but before I explain the Christian Doctrine I would like to get a few responses from atheist/agnostics on what they believe Biblical Christianity says is required for salvation, and then I want to challenge them to find another religion in which the requirement of salvation is the exact same, or similar with the only difference being the name of the individuals.




posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Believe Jesus died for your sins and accept him as your savior and you have eternal life in heaven. Is that about right? Even a serial murderer is accepted as long as he converts on his deathbed and repents.



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb
 


You want atheists to tell you how we believe Christians will go to Heaven?

Which flavor of Christianity might that be? The path to salvation for a Mormon will be quite different from that of a member of the Metropolitan Community Church.

It seems to me that with so many different sects, not to mention the divide between Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox after the Great Schism, that there are as many paths to salvation as there are Christians.



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb
 


You want atheists to tell you how we believe Christians will go to Heaven?

Which flavor of Christianity might that be? The path to salvation for a Mormon will be quite different from that of a member of the Metropolitan Community Church.

It seems to me that with so many different sects, not to mention the divide between Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox after the Great Schism, that there are as many paths to salvation as there are Christians.





on what they believe Biblical Christianity


I think I made my position very clear.



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It's a tricky question for atheists, because they all believe it's just nonsense.

I'm not sure you will find what you're looking for in this thread...



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I don't think many atheists contemplate the subtleties of Christianity.

If one doesn't believe in the afterlife, whats the point of examining it? Or contemplating falsities?
edit on 6-9-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Believe Jesus died for your sins and accept him as your savior and you have eternal life in heaven. Is that about right? Even a serial murderer is accepted as long as he converts on his deathbed and repents.


You have the basics down, and by repent what do you mean?



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
I don't think many atheists contemplate the subtleties of Christianity.

If one doesn't believe in Santa, whats the point of examining his exploits?


Well for one its irritating when atheist/agnostics bring up things like the problem of evil which is completely taken care of by scripture....another thing is I have had a lot that say God sends them to hell this is not the case Christians believe you choose hell.
edit on 6-9-2013 by ServantOfTheLamb because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb
 



You see Christianity is unique in a very special way

That depends on weather you are "Christian" or "Catholic".

There is a HuGE Difference.



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I suppose the Beatitudes would be a good place to start. So the poor, the mourning, the meek, the righteous, the persecuted and the peaceful, will probably all get to salvation, or the Kingdom of Heaven.

But seeing as Christianity is a monotheistic religion, I'd say also that The First Commandment would be a general rule of thumb, since God wouldn't want any outside influences on his flock.

Forgiveness for sin seems to be a common theme, however the idea of Original Sin is somewhat over my head, or outside my realm of understanding. So forgiving others for their transgressions as well as seeking forgiveness for your own wicked ass is probably a good idea.

Please don't flame me for being a hater anymore. I'd really be interested in having a discussion about this.

edit on 6-9-2013 by ZeroReady because: typo



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpenEars123
It's a tricky question for atheists, because they all believe it's just nonsense.

I'm not sure you will find what you're looking for in this thread...


Well if you are going to oppose a POV you should at least be educated in what they believe.



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb
 



You see Christianity is unique in a very special way

That depends on weather you are "Christian" or "Catholic".

There is a HuGE Difference.


I agree. I didn't say Catholicism was unique did I?
edit on 6-9-2013 by ServantOfTheLamb because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb
 


I used to be a Christian, and from what I learned, those are the requirements. As long as you accept Jesus as your savior, you get a free ticket.

By repent, I mean feel sorry about or regret what you did previously.



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb
 


Well, Ive already been dead for nigh on a few billion years now.
-Only been alive for a fraction of that.
I know full well what death is and where we go, as I have been there before.
Anyways I'll bow out as not to derail the thread.
Cheers



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
I suppose the Beatitudes would be a good place to start. So the poor, the mourning, the meek, the righteous, the persecuted and the peaceful, will probably all get to salvation, or the Kingdom of Heaven.

But seeing as Christianity is a monotheistic religion, I'd say also that The First Commandment would be a general rule of thumb, since God wouldn't want any outside influences on his flock.

Forgiveness for sin seems to be a common theme, however the idea of Original Sin is somewhat over my head, or outside my realm of understanding. So forgiving others for their transgressions as well as seeking forgiveness for your own wicked ass is probably a good idea.

Please don't flame me as a hater anymore. I'd really be interested in having a discussion about this.



Original Sin and the Trinity are the two most complicated things in the doctrine, and take a lot of in-depth conversation. If you really want to learn what the Bible says about it I will spend the time to explain it, i have been thinking about doing a thread on it for awhile. What confuses you about the concept of original sin?



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb
 


I used to be a Christian, and from what I learned, those are the requirements. As long as you accept Jesus as your savior, you get a free ticket.

By repent, I mean feel sorry about or regret what you did previously.


You are spot on, and a rare breed. I just didn't know if you thought repentance required some physical work. Do you know of any other religions that have a similar doctrine? Saved by Grace and Grace alone.



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb
 


Before I answer that I need to know weather or not you believe that Adam and Eve actually existed as real people, the first people, as described in the bible.



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb
 


The tricky part that you are missing is that atheists are usually fundamentalists and religious in their own right so you might as well be asking what muslims think of mormonism. Your heart is in the right place but you don't need their permission for your faith and they won't be converted.



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by greencmp
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb
 


The tricky part that you are missing is that atheists are usually fundamentalists and religious in their own right so you might as well be asking what muslims think of mormonism. Your heart is in the right place but you don't need their permission for your faith and they won't be converted.


I only want them to understand my side not convert. If they dont believe it now they will one day very very soon.



posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb
 


Well, Christianity is just as "unique" as any other religion in the world. Saying Christianity is unique because you have to believe in Jesus is like saying Hinduism is unique because they have to believe in Krishna or Buddhists have to believe in Buddha.

Christianity isn't the only unique religion, they all are in their own ways.





new topics




 
5
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join