It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Citizen photograoher handles cops like a boss

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Illinois Cops Threaten to Confiscate Man’s Camera for Recording Them

I go to PINAC at least once a week. Frankly if you're gonna have this kind of forum, you should just partner up with Carlos Miller.
(I am not him btw, nor a member on that board.)

Police in Illinois threatened to confiscate a man’s camera because he chose to video record them inside a parking garage. But Elliot W., who prefers his last name not be used, did not give in to their demands.

What was particularly nice about this video is that the man knew his rights & stood up for them. What wasn't so nice was the instant kneejerk of the plainclothes cops of "we need to seize that phone for evidence" bs. There was no crime being committed, so seize THIS.

One of the funny things is how utterly naive the female cop is. After the guy in the video says he's recording b/c cops have been known to be shady in IL, she says not long thereafter "if you think a crime is going on, call the cops."

LMAO.

Q-tips, try some.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by schadenfreude

We should just carry cardboard serfs for cops to billy club when they are bored.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...

He's lucky they didn't beat the livin **** out of him, destroy his camera, and charge him with some trumped up charge.
edit on 6-9-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Laws(and common decency) don't apply to pigs, don'tcha know? Since they know what's best for all of us we are supposed to bow down in their presence and do whatever they tell us to do. Jump? Say how high.

The guy is lucky, being as this was Illinois which has a special level of corruption that only DC can match. Surprising they didn't beat him and kill him for such outrageous crimes as he was committing.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Well the guy who did the video said "this was a good hill to die on". (Meaning if anything went down, he was ready to face the consequences.)

I find that very admirable. Remember when men had balls?

sigh.

ETA: I remember my history teacher in college telling me in the 40's when guys were labeled 4F, some committed suicide. They killed themselves b/c they COULDN'T fight for something decent.

Times change.
edit on 6-9-2013 by schadenfreude because: because I can

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

What's 4F?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by swanne

4F meant you weren't going in the milatary. (For any number of reasons.) Asthma, too small, flat-footed, etc.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Oh. I see.

Many Thanks for the clarification!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
He did do one mistake which is quite common for many people. He didn't ask the name and badge numbers of the cops on camera. If he had he could easily send this to their superiors to show how these guys obviously skipped few classes and obviously aren't qualified to wear a badge.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

You know as well as I do that they would've been given a "paid vacation" at most anyway.

But you're right, he should've asked.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Badges are R E D C O A T S !

they are in EVERY WAY........ JUST LIKE REDCOATS..

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

They should actually be put back to academy imho. That would motivate them to be sure about what they utter in public in the future.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Not like it would have mattered anyway, asking for name and badge number.

Like many others, all that cop has to do is say, "It's right here on my badge," and then turn, walk away, obscure, etc.

We should have an "identify" statute with cops, where they have to verbally identify themselves if asked (if there's not already). They could always *not* do it, but if on camera....

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Most places have that statue or department ordinance. Cops have to ID and if they just say it's on my badge without showing it doesn't qualify.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Funny how they all came out and tried to stop the guy, then when they realized he wasnt stopping, they stopped what they were doing.

I believe they were outside their boundaries and they knew it, and thus when confronted with a citizen that knows the rules, they attempted to intimidate, and then threaten him into compliance.

When that didnt work, they knew they were done and left it at that.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence

Not like it would have mattered anyway, asking for name and badge number.

Like many others, all that cop has to do is say, "It's right here on my badge," and then turn, walk away, obscure, etc.

We should have an "identify" statute with cops, where they have to verbally identify themselves if asked (if there's not already). They could always *not* do it, but if on camera....

I've seen cops do stuff like that before.

I've also seen them answer the question, but mumble or otherwise make it difficult to understand, only to respond with "I'm not repeating myself" when informed that they weren't clear, or questioned further.

I've also seen how good cops respond to it-- by politely and clearly supplying the information requested. And you're right-- it should be the law.

top topics

join