It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dartford Crossing Closed By 'Security Incident'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Dartford Crossing Closed By 'Security Incident'

news.sky.com

A man is arrested after a "suspicious item" is found at the Dartford crossing, closing the M25 in both directions.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Just breaking... Man arrested on the QEII Bridge at the Dartford Crossing. Suspicious package found.

Just throwing it out there, is this going to turn out to be linked to Iran or Syria? Or should i say spun that way, if it does turn out to be something it would make for some great propaganda.

Obviously the story is still developing and could also turn out to be nothing but they are saying that it will be closed for some time.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6/9/13 by HumanPLC because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
If someone blew Dartford up most of us in kent would be thanking Syria not condeming it

If they can stop those pesky essex lot from comeing over the river even better

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
According to reports the man was noticed pretending to be from Essex but a quick check showed he wasn't day glow orange like an umpa lumpa and driving a XR3i with neons
and he answered every question without saying shaaaartt aaaaappppp!!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I remember they done something like this before

they shut down a huge part of a motorway and called in Counter terrorism police and bomb disposal

the lot

all for a guy smoking a E-cigarette on a bus....

Link

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

lol, well being from the Midlands the closest i get to anyone from Essex is 'TOWIE'.

Are you from the area then mate? Have you heard anything further?

Ive just been reading reports of Emergency services and bomb disposal attending.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

lol, yeah i do remember that. Funnily enough i was just reading the following "It is thought he may have been on a coach and had got off at the toll" on the BBC news website.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumanPLC
reply to post by crazyewok

lol, well being from the Midlands the closest i get to anyone from Essex is 'TOWIE'.

Are you from the area then mate? Have you heard anything further?

Ive just been reading reports of Emergency services and bomb disposal attending.

Yeah live 20 minutes away in the wonderfull cesspool of Chatham.
TBH this is the first I heard of it. But the tunnel and bridge shutting pretty common due to accidents.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by HumanPLC

Well, apparantly the alert was raised when a pedestrian was spotted behaving in a strange fashion. A suspicious package was located at some point. If the pedestrian and the package were related to one another, that suggests to me that rather than being some sort of vehicle based bomb, like a car or truck bomb, the device must have been either on the person of the pedestrian, or indeed, been planted, perhaps on a pylon, or on a support beam.

However, there is no way in the world that a single explosive device can have done anything as drastic as say destroy the bridge. Such a thing could have done a damned fine job of closing it down, not to mention shocking casualties, and causing disruptive damage, but anyone seeking to totally cut that bridge link would have had to have planted several other devices in strategic locations along the bridge in order to see its collapse.

Sounds to me as if the crossing itself wouldnt have been the target. I would have gone for the tunnel myself. Harder to pull off, but the results could have been radical... in a totally unfortunate, and devastating way... yeah.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Yeah, i would imagine the security in the actual tunnel would be very high.

Sky News are pretty much confirming what you have just said, they are saying that a 'foreign male' was reported as acting dodgy, police were called, guy was arrested and then the package was found at the same location.

From the clips ive just seen they seem to now be sending in the bomb disposal robots for what i assume is a closer look.

Obviously now we know the person was foreign it takes it up a level, i mean a foreigner!!! It has to be a terrorist dont it??? I will take my tongue out of my cheek now, lol

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I hear what you are saying about the tunnel being secured pretty well, but you have to know that structurally, its the most easily destroyed of the two targets. Its holding up the Thames for Gods sake!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Oh Yeah, i agree that a target like that would be a wet dream for someone intent on causing massive loss of life which is why i assume security would be very high. Actually ive never been through it so i have no idea what security is actually like there.

Just been looking on Twitter and noticed that there are reports of a second suspicious package in Kent, apparently also on a coach, at Dover. Its only via Twitter at the moment though.

Here is where i found it. twitter.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Well I find twitter as an expirience about as enjoyable as pleasuring myself with a sandpaper glove on, so I will leave that where it is !

I have been through the Dartford Tunnel many times. Given that I have been stopped in my home town because I "look a bit like a terrorist" (I kid you not), and given that my mates I have been with the last few times I have been through, look a little like me to a degree (long hair, beard, bit scary looking on the outside) I have never been stopped or searched at the tunnel.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

they shut down a huge part of a motorway and called in Counter terrorism police and bomb disposal

the lot

Link

Whoa!

It seems the authorities are just a bit edgy there?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Did anyone see that multipart program on london transport recently on the beeb where they showed the tunnel could be closed off in minutes should there be a problem and there was escape hatches for people to climb out

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Hey hey ! Come leave us 'pesky' essex people alone we arnt all orange! Nice to see something on ATS from near me. I'm only about 20 mins away from dartford but on the Essex side. Still not sure what's actually happened. I blame the Kentonians
you ok caused a hundred car pile up yesterday luckily no one was killed!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

I hear what you are saying about the tunnel being secured pretty well, but you have to know that structurally, its the most easily destroyed of the two targets. Its holding up the Thames for Gods sake!

I've had the great misfortune of having had to drive through the Dartford tunnel twice about 25 years ago....it gave me the creeps!
Also, anyone read The Tic Tock Man by Terrence Strong? There's at least a chapter in there about the main character having to diffuse a bomb in the Dartford Tunnel. I don't mind admitting it brought me out in a sweat....
www.amazon.co.uk...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
Did anyone see that multipart program on london transport recently on the beeb where they showed the tunnel could be closed off in minutes should there be a problem and there was escape hatches for people to climb out

I didn't but always wondered that when going through the tunnel what would happen if something happened inside

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

the lot

Link

Yeah, they did. I wondered at the time, if it was a staged anti-ecig stunt at first. A LOT of media attention, negative attention at that, with all the bomb threat, destruction, death...ecigs - connections flying about which would lend well to a theory like that, but yeah...i think that was the Dartford crossing too...or was it the Severn bridge?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I think the e-cig incident was on the m4 or m6 don't think it was on a bridge .. Just looking to see if I can find a article

top topics

<<   2 >>

join