It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers Protest Potential Conflict With Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

The idea of a fighting in a Syrian civil war does not sit well with combat veterans who fear being called up.

Soldiers protesting military strikes against Syria are taking to Facebook to voice their opposition to a war.
"I didn't join the Marine Corps to fight for al Qaeda in a Syrian Civil War," one Marine in uniform declared, in a message written on a piece of paper he held strategically to block his face and conceal his identity.

In another message, a man donning fatigues holds up a paper with "I didn't sign up to kill the poor for the rich," written out.

The Armed Forces Tea Party, a loose affiliation of veterans who align with the conservative movement, is collecting snapshots of military members holding up written statements slamming Obama's plan to ask Congress for authorization to use force against Bashar Assad's regime.

Recently, some soldiers have posted photos on the internet stating thier opinion(s) on the potential Syrian conflict that may erupt. I must say, I admire the bravery of these soldiers, yet I don't think it will sit well with other troops in the military.

-I'm sure if their CO's see these, they will probably recieve an Article 15 or some sort of punishment, not just physically, but mentally as well. Good thing they concealed their identities.

The military personnel against Obama went the extra mile to conceal their identities in the photos but they still could get in trouble for airing their opinions against the commander-in-chief.

The Uniform Code of Military Justice says that an officer who "uses contemptuous words against the President" could be punished with a court martial.

Service Members Anonymously Protest

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Everybody thinks this is a bad idea.

We will not strike Syria.

You know they would trot out pictures of dead children.

Obama is looking to Congress for a way out.

I can't find a single soul who thinks this is a good idea.

*Note: The reports John Kerry was in the Potomac looking for his medals is untrue.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If they are active duty .. they are in trouble. They aren't allowed to do that.
They are risking a lot by saying it out like that. Either that, or they don't know the rules.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

"I didn't sign up to kill the poor for the rich," reads another posting on the Armed Forces Tea Party page, which isn't officially affiliated with the military.

While those opposed to the intervention have claimed that displacing Assad could create a power vacuum to be filled by anti-American extremists, some have argued that active members of the military are violating the Uniform Code of Military Justice by publicly airing such grievances.

Politix points out that a "Failure to obey order or regulation" or "Contempt toward officials" are both punishable by court-martial.

Another service member posted a photo in backlash to those that are protesting... Stating, "You don't join to say 'I refuse'......."
Here is the link
Huffington Post

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Isn't there some sort of Vow all Military take? If they don't agree w/ following orders based on lies and corruption... They don't agree in attacking their own people... Ect ect

Don't they have a morality code to follow?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Yup it's called protecting and upholding the constitution, protecting America from enemies foreign or domestic, not supporting acts of treason
edit on 6-9-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1
Isn't there some sort of Vow all Military take? If they don't agree w/ following orders based on lies and corruption... They don't agree in attacking their own people... Ect ect

Don't they have a morality code to follow?

eeehhhhhhh... That's touchy. Most of the time you're trained to simply "follow orders", regardless of how you feel about it. Apparently, these guys (If found) are most likely going to be subject to court martial for displaying their opinion.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

i dont disagree with the soldiers sentiment at all..but they signed up in the..ok here it is..U.S. military, cant they read or follow any kind of history, did they all live under a rock before signing?..following orders is not optional and opinions dont count when your rank and file, i think going to syria is a serious mistake like most other actions the u.s. has taken..but they shouldnt of signed up if fighting other peoples battles shocks their sensiblities.
i dont know..its a job i guess and you hope for the best but history shows the u.s. involved in a conflict on average every 40 monthes so when you sign up for 4 years your likley to be going somewhere sandy during your career.
peace

edit on 6-9-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

The Uniform Code of Military Justice says that an officer who "uses contemptuous words against the President" could be punished with a court martial.

Well...as this only applies to 'officers' these enlisted men have every right to voice opposition to what they see as treasonous acts perpetrated by their own government.

The reason this applies to officers and not enlisted men is simple..tptb assume the enlisted men are too inept or stupid to organise any serious resistence...whereas a westpoint trained officer could.

In fact, if a soldier has clear evidence that their government has gone off the deep end, it is their duty to refuse illegal orders...such as fighting in an illegal war at that governments' direction, like Syria.

It's a duty all Americans have btw, not just the Armed services.

top topics

join