It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisoners and what to do with them ..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Prisoners should be judged on there ability to work .. You commit a crime? your fitness is tested and then you are allocated to work groups .. Groups of 10 each wearing ankle tags that instead of beeping if u go out of range gives an electric shock disabling you ..
They will clean the streets clean the walls clean clean off clean if that is required and all controllable the worse the crime the harder the work ..
Currently if i commit a crime .. i will go to jail .. big whoop . .. i have 3 meals a day .. tv .. warmth .. security .. all that and its a wonder .. it really is .. at this rate .. prisons will just be homes for the elderly unless a real deterrent and feet up chilled out is not it . ..

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Ta1ntedJustice

Your points are valid, there is no effective deterrence associated with the current system. It is just a hyper-welfare program. Heck, people get arrested to get a roof over their head, 3 squares, health care, gang cred, etc. This list goes on and on and on and...

However, the failure of the government to correct human behavior is simply confirmation of its inability to do such things. It is impossible and it has never worked, you cannot fix people with legislation anymore than you can change the laws of physics with legislation. It is time to recognize this fact.

If you want deterrence, let people defend themselves.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

How about the US, who has the highest prison population in the world, stop arresting people and sending them to prison for years for minor non-violent offenses.
Cant have that though because the US is full of FOR Profit prisons that pay their workers, i mean prisoners, .30 an hour to make military uniforms and other items.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

Thats a shaky path tho .. people defending themselves .. in what way did you mean?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Sharingan

makes sense to do that .. are you saying that we should have a reclassification of offences and what terms they carry?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
So, you take jobs away from those who need them by giving them to prisoners!
That leads to more people struggling to feed their families and therefore more crime, and more people sent to prison!
What a stupid idea

Do you have money invested in the prison system? or do they pay you to post such nonsense!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Sharingan

You read my mind allot Sharningan, I find my self agreeing with you allot

OP: Stupid idea. First we need to legalize all drugs, stop prisoners going to prison for petty thefts such as theft & minor assaults/fights.

We need to lock up real criminals, rapists, frauds, murderers - Make prison prison, one man cells and no luxuries - Stop all private prisons and make them Government owned with a budget of £50p a prisoner a day, which they have to work for in their own prison, like washing and cooking foods

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Currently if i commit a crime .. i will go to jail .. big whoop . .. i have 3 meals a day .. tv .. warmth .. security

So the punishment should fit the crime . .. ?

Like, .. giving you the choice of which hand to cut off when you are caught stealing?
Or
Give you the choice of Method of Eecution when you kill someone, OR which channel it is Aired on?
Or
The choice of which Portion of Genitals to cut off when you commit Rape?

That would definitely curb crime significantly. .. IMO .. ..

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I mean that individuals are better at determining appropriate responses to their particular quandaries than any one-size-fits-all policy imposed by a bureaucracy.

While some may believe that behavior modification is possible to achieve with non-violent coercion, enforcement can only be realized with harassment, extortion or worse.

Ultimately, the state has only one tool, the threat of violence. Whereas, citizens resolve disagreements without such unsavory tactics more often than not.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

First we need to legalize all drugs, stop prisoners going to prison for petty thefts such as theft & minor assaults/fights.

I wouldnt say legalize ALL drugs, some of that stuff is pretty dangerous/deadly, heroin and pcp come to mind.
I think, if its not legalized, then simple pot possession should be a citation, to many peoples lives are ruined because of being sent to prison over something so insignificant. It wouldnt effect me one way or another, I havent touched the stuff since high school, so I have no personal stake in it.
Heres a scenario that im sure plays out all to often.
Say a man had a decent job, was divorced and paying child support. He gets pulled over for speeding, the cop finds a bag of pot and takes him to jail, he goes to trial and is sentenced to say 60 days or whatever.
Now this man, who had a decent job, loses that job, can no longer pay child support and when he gets out of jail, he cant get a job because of his record.
Since he cant get a job, he cant pay child support and is sent back to jail and labeled a "dead beat daddy"
Ahh the cycle of private for profit prisons and judges who benefit from them

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Currently if i commit a crime .. i will go to jail .. big whoop . .. i have 3 meals a day .. tv .. warmth .. security

those 3 meals are worse than some dogfoods(which is fine to me, i wont go to prison, and never have been) but when you say security I wonder exactly what you mean, prison is no joke and you have to watch you back, make alliances, and go into everyday thinking you may not see the next.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
That leads to more people struggling to feed their families and therefore more crime, and more people sent to prison!
What a stupid idea

Do you have money invested in the prison system? or do they pay you to post such nonsense!

no i am thinking of a solution that benefits everyone .. Hard work for nothing .. is a deterrent .. the system you are defending does not work, There are plenty of Non paying jobs that volunteers do all day everyday so step of your high horse for a minute and look at the bigger picture?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Originally posted by VoidHawk
What a stupid idea

any crime to the victim .. be it theft or worse is still a crime and should not be over looked .. If you had them cleaning the beach's cleaning canals all day for whatever sentence then maybe it wouldn't be 'worth it' to do the small crime knowing the hard slave labour that would be in store for them ..

using the word 'stupid' to describe my imagination is insulting.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” AE!!
edit on 6-9-2013 by Ta1ntedJustice because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Sounds like a good movie
In security i mean they never have to worry about Gas. Electric, Food, clothes, TV, Radio, Magazines, weather, Rent and on and on ;P

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

i agree with you .. but individuals group together one groups bigger then the other and so on .. something has to change ..

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

got ya, it would be nice to not have to worry about those things, whats messed up is the system that deals with criminals wants every single one alive so they can make money off them, even the ones that dont deserve to be there. I think putting them to work would be a good idea and they already do on some levels(see Yosemite fire) but how great of a workforce r you gonna get when they already have an "easy life" as you put it, why would they work when they could sit around and get fat?, I dont understand what your talking about movies? Please embelish, if u could.

top topics

join