It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solitary confinement for students will continue: Oregon schools easily avoid ban on "isolation boot

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Solitary confinement for students will continue: Oregon schools easily avoid ban on "isolation booths" by building permanent isolation rooms

www.policestateusa.com

“You have two adults dragging you into a room and locking the door behind you and you’re just a little kid and you don’t know what’s going on,” Harrison told lawmakers. “You’re not going to be calm. And I know no one else in the room was calm. They were all freaking out because their friend’s being locked in a room. It didn’t help the situation at all. It made it worse – much worse than it would’ve been if I had just sat in a timeout chair for five minutes.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Submit. Obey. Learn it from day one.

My God! Terrorizing little children by locking them in padded cells.

I didn’t think the USA could get much worse. It has.

Parents. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?!

Obviously leaving the situation up to lawmakers isn’t cutting it. Laws are made - the schools comply - then go right ahead and build more rooms of the same kind - only this time more ‘permanent’ - instead of the ‘freestanding’ which were outlawed.

Jared Harrison’s mother is right; isolation rooms belong in prisons, not schools. But the parallels of between schools and prison go well beyond throwing children into solitary confinement for misbehavior. The whole education system is modeled to achieve conformity and obedience. Institutions are lined with live-feed cameras. Students are subjected to warrantless searches and often forced to give urine. Police presence in schools is becoming more pervasive and lockers and backpacks can be sniffed with dogs. Attendance is compulsory. Students are having to carry RFID badges or give biometric identification. Even the parking lots are subject to warrantless searches. And that’s without even touching on the curriculum, which is very pro-statism.

peace

www.policestateusa.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-9-2013 by silo13 because: color add

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
School district aims to ease concerns over 'isolation booth'

None of the parents who gave the district permission to place their kids in the booth has complained, Catt said. But because of the many complaints from other parents, the district is reviewing how the booth is used.

So, you do this at home you're children are removed from your house by force by CPS. Give your permission to do the same at school? Nooooo problem?

And without permission? Still happens.

Candace Dawson, who now lives in Marysville, Wash., has a son who used to go to Mint Valley Elementary three years ago. She said the school put her child in the booth without her permission.

"He said that's the naughty room," Dawson told KATU News Wednesday. "That's what he called it. He said when kids are naughty they get put in there."

She said she had no idea the school had the isolation room until she went online and saw her son's old school was in the news. She asked her son about it. She said he got very uncomfortable and told her not only did he recognize the pictures of it online but his teacher forced him to spend time there.

peace

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
What do you do with an animal but lock it in a cage? If parents would discipline their children others wouldn't have to deal with the fallout.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I bet the people making these command decisions are all degreed professionals too.

It seems the teachers and administrators have become the animals.

I know one thing for sure, every financial crisis and educational boondoggle has been caused by 'educated' people.

Especially the ones who always claimed to know more than anybody else.

I guess commies don't serf.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I think the answer starts with any school board this isn't elected positions now, becoming that way. Then term limits and perhaps even restrictions on previous political time in other elected office as a dis-qualifier. Most importantly though, everyone serving on the school board should have kids IN school and anticipated to BE in school, inside that district, for at least half of their elected term.

I think insuring someone they care about is living the decisions they make would go a long way toward keeping them honest on how those decisions get made. It's the local tyrants who truly cast the most power on quality of life as we see it, I think. Far more so than any President outside of perhaps Lincoln. I suppose it was impossible to miss that one. lol...

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Interesting. If this was taking place in a middle eastern country the western powers would be using it as an excuse to bomb / invade / take over the country, don't you think, especially if it had oil or gas reserves?

Very abusive!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
When I was at school, there were quite a few kids who should have been confined away from the general population, kids so dangerous to the health and well being of other students, and teachers for that matter, that they should not have been being educated alongside the rest of us at all.

This room should only be used for kids who have exhibited signs of criminal insanity, taking pleasure from the pain of others, destroying things just for the sheer hell of it with no regard for others safety, physical violence, massive rage. If we are talking about removing a child to that room for backchatting a teacher, or for anything other than an offense which would see them arrested and given jail time later in life, then thats just totally out of order, and the people who came up with this strategy in the first place ought to be shot in the legs and then forced to walk to the hospital.

And lets face it, if a school board feels that it NEEDS a solution like this, then I have to say, that no child should be going to that school at all. The reason I say this, is that if that board hasnt got the balls and the power to prevent young psychopaths from entering, or remaining in its school, then no parent should be prepared to send thier child there, especially if they know what sort of thing is happening there. Any child who displays the sort of behavior that I would consider worth time in a box like this, shouldnt be allowed out on his or her own, allowed to contact other persons of thier age group, be allowed near the kitchen, the workshop, the saftey scissors, pencils (they can make them dissapear dont you know?) or indeed furniture which isnt bolted to the ground, because a kid worthy of time in that box is going to be some sort of horrible Charles Manson/BTK hybrid, with all the compassion and love for his or her fellow man you would expect from a bullet to the head.

Since kids like that shouldnt be in society at all, this box should be utterly without use, and any school system which advocates solitary confinement of kids who are NOT within the "no questions asked, this kid is a serial killer in the making" bracket, ought to be disbanded and rebuilt from the ground up without delay or arguement.

So, in summary:

Keeping psychopathic, sociopathic, and dangerous kids in the same school as children who arent murderous bastards is wrong, it has always been wrong, it will continue to be wrong until the end of the species. Yes, dangerous savage children deserve a chance at life, but not at the expense of kids who havent a bad bone in thier bodies.

School boards should not have the power to confine students to a small box. Any student worthy of that, should not be in mainstream education.

Any organisation which would wish to have the power to confine children in this manner should not be allowed power over anything more important than chewing gum, let alone the environment in which a child spends thier formative years, and recieves an education.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

In the UK disruption is normal in the best schools and chatting while the teacher teaches just happens without any challenge.
The purpose of this?
isolation is not a punishment as with the unfortunate padded cell that is applied in the US.

However, mixing the bad with the good is like mixing mouldy apples with fresh, good apples..........you're just going to contaminate the lot............and perhaps that's the purpose of it all.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

There is a very big difference between disruptive behavior, and destructive, violent behavior. A class run by an engaging, entertaining, and intelligent teacher, does not stop for anything other than someone pulling a knife in my expirience. Oh so one of the people in the class likes to yell, or be silly constantly. Boo hoo. Violence and insanity, carnage however? Thats worthy of a response, and the response should be full time psychiatric ward placement. Everything else is just so much "whatever" in my opinion. It doesnt matter that some people are loud. Its not remotely capable of stopping a good lesson.

Its the future serial murders, rapists, gang thugs and people who will be known as adults as "That TOTAL bastard" that need the dealing with. Chatty folk however? People who are advancing thier communication skills? No, they arent a problem, and if they were being correctly engaged by the teachers and the environment they are being asked to learn in, then that wouldnt be happening anyway. All such failiures are the part of the education system, no matter which nation it happens to be in.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
LOL, lock my kid in a booth. All that'll do it put me in jail an dyou in the hospital.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Crazy kids should not be in school.

One of mine was still in school last year .............. apparantly an outstanding school.
In lessons she had to fight off people trying to write on her face, be pushed off her chair, have her books and pencil case constantly thrown on the floor, try to concentrate while people talked over the teacher, threw balls around the class and try to write while avoid being hit by the ball, not be distracted by stand upfights in the class, concentrate while people swung on the blinds, concentrate while the teacher ran up and down the stairs shouting at people to get back who were running amok and this is NORMAL behaviour.

Now she did quite like this school as despite the chaos it was not bad compared to the school she had been in previously where sexual assault was considered 'naughty', violent fights ignored, bullying blamed on the victim and the teachers claimined anyone who said anything of complaint was a LIAR!!!!!

We're not even talking about serious violence or assaults that also take place and go unpunished in schools.

A booth is not the answer for any bad behaviour in school.

The answer is the police for criminal behaviour, the headmaster's office and expulsion for continued bad behaviour. The padded cell has no place in a school.

Solitary confinement is the wrong way to go!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

Expulsion is not the right answer. They are kids. Expulsion says 1 of 2 things, depending on the kids outlook:

- "You can act really bad and not have to come to school"

- "We are turning our backs on you"

TrueBrit is dead on right. Especially with what he says about teachers engaging students. Humans, when engaged, become superhuman. As adults engaged employees are the manna that the Great Gods Of Business spoke about.

Engagement. It isn't a word used often enough to describe the goal. But that is the goal. And failure will result in children drawing on each others faces during lessons.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I'm sorry, but as a child I was put in a so called "Isolation room". All it was, was an empty room with a chair. A friend and I were playing around during quiet time, we were told several times to stop. We didn't. Since I was the instigator, I was placed in the "booth".

I knew very well what I was doing, and I knew the consequence. The worse part of the experience is the pure boredom, absolutely nothing to do for fifteen whole minutes. I was so happy to get out of there!

I came out relatively normal. (Heuheuheu) I don't see a problem with these rooms. If a kid can't adhere to the classroom rules time and time again, a time out is in order.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

"Your agonizer please, little Jimmy"

-evil Spock

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I hated the school system when I was a kid, don't remember 99% pf what I learned besides how crap the food in cafeterias was, and if I ever have kids in the future, no way in hell will they go to public schools.

Home schooling is the wave of the future

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

My youngest is in the 6th grade and in an accelerated class. Yesterday, I was told all about what surprises the teacher had for the class today when they came in the room. Three dolls/puppets hung by nooses near his desks (bad children that didn't listen), dental tools on his desk (to cause the kids concern), a hammer (to knock the misbehaving on the head), and duct tape for those that fall asleep. When a couple girls talked in class, he picked up a long pair of tweezers and snipped them in the air at them. When a couple kids dozed off, he loosely taped them to the chair with the duct tape. Now, the kids hesitantly laughed at all of this because it was clearly a joke but it still bothers the crap out of me that this particular teacher basically was using psychological warfare on children who were supposed to be super bright. In a way, it's kind of humorous but in a really, very uncomfortable and disconcerting way. Some curious tactics being used in the schools for sure...

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Auricom
I knew very well what I was doing, and I knew the consequence. The worse part of the experience is the pure boredom, absolutely nothing to do for fifteen whole minutes. I was so happy to get out of there!
I have to say that compared to the giant paddle my school used on me that made my bottom so sore I couldn't sit down for a few hours, the booth sounds like the preferable alternative.

I didn't fare much better when I was naughty at home, so with that kind of punishment I was motivated to not be naughty very much.

But if you home school you can decide whatever punishment you want when your child misbehaves.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice
reply to post by silo13

My youngest is in the 6th grade and in an accelerated class. Yesterday, I was told all about what surprises the teacher had for the class today when they came in the room. Three dolls/puppets hung by nooses near his desks (bad children that didn't listen), dental tools on his desk (to cause the kids concern), a hammer (to knock the misbehaving on the head), and duct tape for those that fall asleep. When a couple girls talked in class, he picked up a long pair of tweezers and snipped them in the air at them. When a couple kids dozed off, he loosely taped them to the chair with the duct tape. Now, the kids hesitantly laughed at all of this because it was clearly a joke but it still bothers the crap out of me that this particular teacher basically was using psychological warfare on children who were supposed to be super bright. In a way, it's kind of humorous but in a really, very uncomfortable and disconcerting way. Some curious tactics being used in the schools for sure...

If you don't like it, then do something about it! If your a female, have your husband go kick the teachers arse. Or do it yourself. at least give him a taste of his own medicine!

-sometimes violence does Solve problems. IMHO

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
If you don't like it, then do something about it! If your a female, have your husband go kick the teachers arse. Or do it yourself. at least give him a taste of his own medicine!

-sometimes violence does Solve problems. IMHO

No worries. I'm not the kind of parent who sits idly by and my child is reporting in on this particular teacher's activities to me on a daily basis. If she hadn't been mildly humored with it all, I would've nailed the guy to the wall. Only reason why I haven't yet is because, based on her being humored, I'm guessing some things were possibly lost in the retelling. I'm watching it like a hawk though. If the stuff continues, I'm taking the teacher down.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join