It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WooHoo... the FireHose is Back!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

I'm glad it's not just me who misses that, but the same content is under NEW items in the new interface, as far as I could compare? I miss it in this format on the desktop. Much easier from the firehose to see at a glance..

Yes you are correct sir. Differences are thus:

1) it's one column instead of 3
2) it shows Flags, post count, and last post time.. (not creation time)

Last post time has confused many members into thinking the threads are "out of order."
It works the same as Firehose always worked every new topic is at the top..

When you get to the "bottom" new posts appear but it doesn't lag like other websites that behave that way, and it stops at 24 hours.

I never liked how firehose looked after they changed how the columns worked. I liked it working like newspaper columns, but they changed it to read left to right and then down...

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

It's simply an over the top plus one or 10 to the 99th power a duotrigintillion, the child in me wishes they would change the name googol (10 to the 100th power) to a gazillion.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigbrotherdarkness

It's simply an over the top plus one or 10 to the 99th power a duotrigintillion, the child in me wishes they would change the name googol (10 to the 100th power) to a gazillion.

It really should be a gazillion. That sounds way better, and I have said it a gazillion times..

I want my new interface back. Feels like I went from windows XP to windows NT. My computer sucks and the new version actually works a lot faster for me. It's like a gazillion times better like literally like ya know?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by new_here

Originally posted by gotya

What's the firehose?

It's like the coolest thing ever, on any website ever, in the history of mankind. Constantly updated list of newly created threads, in three convenient columns, for one low price (j/k: no charge of course)

Here's a Linky-Dink...

New Topic Firehose

I'm glad it's not just me who misses that, but the same content is under NEW items in the new interface, as far as I could compare? I miss it in this format on the desktop. Much easier from the firehose to see at a glance..

True. On all counts. I mean I tried to like "NEW" --I really did. I just missed the FireHose- ever so much. Like you say, much better for 'at a glance' viewing. And frankly, how else am I going to open 22 different tabs on various amazing subjects in such a short amount of time, for to eat my day away exploring countless rabbit holes?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Me tooooo!!!!! I did the same thing....LOOK....the laughing smiley hehe

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dustytoad

Perhaps you should try Linux as an OS... it's not resource heavy at all, blazing fast even on older comps that feel like you're a cave person banging rocks together... the latest release of Mint called Olivia is really good. If you need windows for specific programs, then you can install Oracles VM or virtual box program, it's like a dual boot without the dual boot, you can install and run any windows version inside of Linux and clone it as much as you like, using snapshots.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by dustytoad

reply to post by Dustytoad

It's been at least a week for me.. I've been on the beta the whole time.

Bless your heart. I'd have blocked it all out too. Right there in my padded room.

umm ok, but I blocked out the old version not the new version..

I know, I know... that grief was just too much to bear. Easier on your psyche to pretend the old version never existed, and just fall in love anew with complete abandon... (yeah, you had me there, I admit it-- but my twisted logic here is a nice effort, wouldn't you say?! Excuse me while I un-pretzel my brain...)

Monday can't come soon enough. Then I'll have the last laugh because I laugh in the face of danger ha ha ha ha...
Do WHAT???

*Dons Xena garb, mounts trusty stallion, brandishes torch, and releases the hounds, etc., etc...*

'Dems fightin words, boy!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by dustytoad

I want my new interface back. Feels like I went from windows XP to windows NT. My computer sucks and the new version actually works a lot faster for me. It's like a gazillion times better like literally like ya know?
NO, Be Quiet!!! (j/k: All opinions are welcome in this thread... even outlandish ones like yours-- MuHahaha!)

Is this a good time to mention I thought the proper term WAS gazillion, and googol looks like mispelled google?

edit on 9/6/2013 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

...the child in me wishes they would change the name googol (10 to the 100th power) to a gazillion.

The adult in me has made posters and signs ready to Occupy Googol to effect change on this travesty! Just say the word...

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat

Me tooooo!!!!! I did the same thing....LOOK....the laughing smiley hehe

I knowwwww!!! Use 'em while they last,folks!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Perhaps you should try Linux as an OS... it's not resource heavy at all, blazing fast even on older comps that feel like you're a cave person banging rocks together... the latest release of Mint called Olivia is really good. If you need windows for specific programs, then you can install Oracles VM or virtual box program, it's like a dual boot without the dual boot, you can install and run any windows version inside of Linux and clone it as much as you like, using snapshots.
Sooo, it's really THAT simple then, isn't it?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

...the child in me wishes they would change the name googol (10 to the 100th power) to a gazillion.

The adult in me has made posters and signs ready to Occupy Googol to effect change on this travesty! Just say the word...

I totally agree that's why you got plus 10 to the power of 99 instead :p

Indeed it is... no viruses no spy ware or any of that junk, the kernel is protected. Unlike windows that allows anyone with a certificate inside access, and apple's os has always had gaping holes in security, most people used windows so that's where hackers focused most of their efforts creating all of that junk to steal info and spy and jack things up. Watch some videos on YT you might like what you see... not to mention the 1000's of free programs, with a built in repository to search and download them.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Indeed it is... no viruses no spy ware or any of that junk, the kernel is protected. Unlike windows that allows anyone with a certificate inside access, and apple's os has always had gaping holes in security, most people used windows so that's where hackers focused most of their efforts creating all of that junk to steal info and spy and jack things up. Watch some videos on YT you might like what you see... not to mention the 1000's of free programs, with a built in repository to search and download them.

Oh honey, I believe you, really I do. That was just my way of smiling and nodding like I do when my son techno-speaks over my head.

(You two would get along famously, btw.)
edit on 9/6/2013 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Firehose page is 404'ed at the time of this post. I put a suggestion in a U2U message to Skeptic Overlord about somehow incorporating the firehose page into the new format, so I hope they take into account how many of us used it as an ATS "central hub" of sorts. You couldn't beat the efficiency of having so many threads visible on one page. I tend to dislike the "endless scroll" in the new format. I really hope they retain the firehose page and it's format. *crosses fingers*

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

It will eventually be changed permanently to the new ATS layout.

When it does, you will see the 'New' button (leaf picture) in the recent post lists. That gives you a list of the newly posted threads in the format of the recent post page.

I love that MUCH better than the topic firehose we have now. That page has always been confusing to me. lol

Just wanted to give you a heads up when things change over, you will still have the option to look at new threads in order.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by nucleardoom
Firehose page is 404'ed at the time of this post. I put a suggestion in a U2U message to Skeptic Overlord about somehow incorporating the firehose page into the new format, so I hope they take into account how many of us used it as an ATS "central hub" of sorts. You couldn't beat the efficiency of having so many threads visible on one page. I tend to dislike the "endless scroll" in the new format. I really hope they retain the firehose page and it's format. *crosses fingers*

Couldn't agree more here... and yay on you for messaging S.O.!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Just wanted to give you a heads up when things change over, you will still have the option to look at new threads in order.

Thank you... yeah, been there done that. I'm just not lovin it. wah wah

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ProspectPhilosopher

I've never used an emoticon in my life but I do have to look at them and I agree the new ones bite. I'll get used to the new look(pretty sure I don't have a choice in the matter) but seeing those 'cons that I can make neither heads or tails out of makes reading the forum difficult.

Never liked the firehose, so I don't use it. That's one feature I don't care if it's there or gone.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I thought I would mention this for the other Hosers... some of you may have figured this out already, but if you haven't...

See that little circle with the down arrow to the right of logout? Clicky on the far right! It's the HOSE!
edit on 11-9-2013 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

BigBrotherDarkness
I thought I would mention this for the other Hosers... some of you may have figured this out already, but if you haven't...

See that little circle with the down arrow to the right of logout? Clicky on the far right! It's the HOSE!
edit on 11-9-2013 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

Oh hay-- didn't see you come in! I found the hose-- a baby hose, like a toy hose sort of, haha. But I do like that it is a pop-up and doesn't cause you to leave the current page whilst you just look at it!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join