It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Sending 'Fat Letters' To Parents About Overweight Children

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
There are a lot more overweight and obese kids today than there were before video games became popular with the kids. Video games have caused a lot of kids to become couch potatos. Before video games came on the scene, kids couldn't wait to get home from school and change into their play clothes and head out to the nearest park to play. Picking up basketball games, baseball games and riding bikes was the norm.

I can't say the obesity rate is caused by fast food, because we had fast food during the baby boomer generation and the obesity rate for kids was no where near that of today. As kids, we burned off an excessive amount of calories in a day. I can remember coming home around 9 at night drenched in sweat from playing basketball all evening. I really believe Technology has made kids lazier. I still can't understand how kids can enjoy texting on their cell phones 24/7.

I think schools are just trying to sound the alarm to parents. It should be a wake-up call for parents to start getting their kids active in sports or some other physical activity. Kids don't like being overweight, and many kids are bullied because of it. The best thing for parents to do today is to get their children involved at an early age in some kind of physical activity. Keep them involved all the way into their high school years!

Parents should be concerned about their kids overall health.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

I believe parents are mostly aware of their kids weight and health issues. It is not the job of a school to inform parents of their children's weight as if the parent doesn't already know it. It is between parents and the children's md, not the school. This is part of the Nanny State. They always try to make it sound like it's all for our own good, but believe me, this is about State control, not caring about the kids. I think it is prelude to more intrusion via Obamacare, and it is definitely connected to Agenda 21. The new Common Core Standards involves extensive data tracking of everything about the children, including their health and behavior, family income, religion, and much more. They will be tracking the children on a massive basis and storing this information. This is just tandem to the deeper Nanny Statism and control which will become standard as Obamacare kicks in.
Why are you on board with this? Because you think parents are just stupid and don't care about their own children?

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Hollie, honestly, never before the 70's did we have so many processed foods laden with fat, aspartame, refined sugars, corn syrup, and GMO. Some honest education would be in order and that could be done through educational classes but this is about State control, and data tracking, not about genuine concerns for the welfare of the child. The Nanny State doesn't want to deal with some of the deeper problems which is a societal fascination with processed foods. Surprisingly, the Dept of Education isn't concerned at all with GMO in our foods, but they do feel they must indoctrination the children in the non-science of Global Warming. Schools have become indoctrination camps for an unwitting population. AN FDA which allows aspartame is also to blame. So many Progressives cry out about deregulation in the banking industry, but where is the outrage at the FDA on aspartame?

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Why are you on board with this? Because you think parents are just stupid and don't care about their own children?

For one thing, not all parents are fit to be parents. It would be silly to say all parents are stupid, but there are parents out there who neglect the welfare of their children. Some parents are in denial about their children's weight problem, where others feel just because they themselves are overweight, they don't see anything wrong with their children being overweight.

I just don't see any difference with a school nurse sending a notice to the parent about their son or daughter being overweight or obese, as compared to a doctor notifying a parent of the same thing. It's a simple alarm bell to parents that their child's weight problem can lead into more serious health problems. The obesity epidemic is staggering and diseases like type 2 diabetes is rising at an alarming rate. Some teenagers are having heart problems at their age!

I personally can't understand how toddlers can become excessively overweight. Parents are in control of what kids eat at that age. For a parent not to be concerned about an obese toddler, is to me simple neglect. If a parent continues to allow their children to consume too much junk food and sodas at an early age, their just setting a pattern for that child to grow up to consume high calorie foods and a life of battling a weight problem. I think getting uptight about a note informing parents of their child's unhealthy weight is just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by WeRpeons

I believe parents are mostly aware of their kids weight and health issues.

Well to those who are aware, they can disregard the letter.

To those who aren't aware, here's a letter with information in it from a registered dietician. For free. (Oh, the horror).

It is not the job of a school to inform parents of their children's weight as if the parent doesn't already know it.

It is now, so I guess this statement is fallacious.

It's not like BMI tests are a new thing in schools anyways. They've been doing it for a long time. This "commie, nanny state" process of taking children and seeing where they sit in terms of their height and weight.

Man you might as well just let Stalin come and take the whole country over, though. Sending home letters to parents about their children's health; horrible!

Next thing you know, bestiaility, pedophilia, and then BOOM. America is a banana republic. Banana in reference to "the gays" of course -- those commie bastards. If we keep letting schools send us letters, soon we'll have to let them send us napkins. And after napkin's they'll be allowed to send us napalm. And after napalm they'll be sending us atom bombs.

I can't be the only one who sees these slippery, slippery slopes!

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

burntheships

Originally posted by grainofsand
The single school provided meal five days per week is not making kids fat.

Oh, any knowledable person, doctor, dietician would argue with you, and prove you wrong.
Heck even Michelle Obama would argue with you.

Just noticed your reply and I'll add the part of my text which you conveniently missed out:

The single school provided meal five days per week is not making kids fat, [rest of text...] it's the crisps/chips pop/soda sweets/candy and other crap on top each day off the parents which causes the problem. I agree absolutely, it is the parents fault regarding kids, and mostly the individuals fault regarding adults.

Your opinion appears ridiculous when you consider that any diet which provides less energy than used by a child will result in weight loss, every time, it's basic biology.
I repeat, the single school meal alone is not making kids fat, it's the overall diet of excess energy than a kid uses in a day.
My goodness, are you really that desperate to blame schools for a single daily meal instead of accepting the fault lies with choices made by crap parents?!

top topics

<< 16  17  18   >>

join