It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authorization Required?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Every now and then I am coming across this:

A username and password are being requested by www.abovetopsecret.com.... The site says: "EnterPassword"

I am already logged in?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Maybe you're clicking on a link that has the 53. prefix instead of the regular www. prefix taking you to the test site where you need to be logged in.

Funny thing; this thread has the 53. prefix even though I closed out all the beta testing windows on my browser once I noticed the regular site had changed over.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Yes, please remove the 53 portion.

ATS has launched the new design so you don't require that anymroe.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

FortAnthem
reply to post by MidnightTide

Maybe you're clicking on a link that has the 53. prefix instead of the regular www. prefix taking you to the test site where you need to be logged in.

Funny thing; this thread has the 53. prefix even though I closed out all the beta testing windows on my browser once I noticed the regular site had changed over.

It happened to me, and I wasn't in the members message link. I clicked on the cross and it took me back to the old system. Now its changed back to the new system, and I must be logged in cos im replying. It probably just hiccups. Btw the password its asking for is in the 53 message everyone was sent, in case you ever need it.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'm getting that "authorization" and "password" pop up every time I click on the next page number in a thread.

ie: I'm on page 1 and scroll down reading posts, and then click on page 2 to navigate to the next page, and that's when the pop up shows asking me for login name and password.

So I hit the back button and I end up (instead of back on page 1) with that blank "authorization required" screen.

The only way I can navigate to another page is if I click on the "end arrow"... which of course takes me to the last page in the thread instead of the next page.

Is anyone else having this problem ?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Yes. I am as well.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Are you still using 53 links? Or do you have the www?

The site is now live for everybody, which means no more www.abovetopsecret.com, it should just be, for this thread for example:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 9/5/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Okay, I just tried something out....

The next page number works at the top of the thread page.
But it doesn't work at the bottom of the thread page, that's when you get that pop up window asking for login and password, and then the "authorization required" page.

So it's the bottom page number navigation that's not working.

The top one works fine.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

No, I'm actually on the live www site.

I only beta tested the 53 page site 4-5 days ago for a couple of hours to learn how to navigate around.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I was having exactly the same issue....so thank you for the head's up on the solution!

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I was on www.abovetopsecret.com... scrolled down to the bottom and clicked page 3 and got the auth box for 53. This is a brand new account too.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
When logged out, I keep getting asked to login when trying to access the live.php page. Where has it gone?!

I loved the layout of that page being able to see a snapshot of new and hot topics on the same screen. Is it just hidden somewhere or did it not make the cut for the upgrade?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

I guess we'll have to hit the "home" key to go back to the top of the page in order to go to the next page until they get a few of these wrinkles ironed out.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
reply to post by FortAnthem

Yes, please remove the 53 portion.

ATS has launched the new design so you don't require that anymroe.

New site still has bugs...

This blows. My login doesn't work. I'm having the same problems as many others.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It was doing it for me too, but seems fixed now. I tried to go to uploads and the same thing is happening?

I don't like where logout is placed, it should be to the far right after the down arrow and the i and choice of colours, i don't want to hit it by mistake. Seems like it would be easy to do, i have caught myself a few times.
edit on 9/5/2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

Oh well. Im disgusted already. If I can't login for whatever reason tomorrow then it was nice knowing you all!

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

seabag
reply to post by whatnext21

Oh well. Im disgusted already. If I can't login for whatever reason tomorrow then it was nice knowing you all!

Chill. ATS mods and devs are awesome. They'll get it worked out.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

well I for one certainly hope not, I enjoy reading your posts.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
did it again, i was just landed on a page and it went to www.abovetopsecret by itself???

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Folks, we've been tossing out sneak-peaks for months, have been opening this up to members for about a couple months, and have had an open member beta test for almost a full week.

Everyone got a U2U urging them to test the new site and provide commentary in this thread:
Open Member Testing: ATS.5/3 Final Release Candidate
If you didn't participate in an unprecedented open test and request for feedback, why are you doing so after launch?

Please stop starting new threads and use this one thread for your comments.

And for the purpose of communicating, yet again, the rationale behind the redesign, here is what was posted in the open test thread...

By now everyone should have received a private message with the username/password that enables access to the Final Release Candidate version of the new ATS.5/3.

This is the fourth round of user testing (first being staff-only, second being invited beta-testers, and third being an open-beta test to all members) and is intended to accomplish the following:

1) final testing of the site UX (user experience) on a wider variety of user scenarios

2) final refinement of of the color scheme of the two UI (user interface) options

3) establish an understanding of the new interface/structure for a less jarring cut-over

4) begin the offered opportunity for a member collaboration on new smilies

This open test is not intended as an opportunity to offer significant alterations to the UI/UX in any way. Months of work, preceded by months of research, and that preceded by months of analysis of existing "upgrades" to so-called discussion board frameworks (XenForo being the best of a lackluster bunch).

The Primary Goal

What you are testing is not "change for the sake of change." Two massively important factors have been the driving force behind such a significant re-think of what a discussion board platform should be.

1) While the number of in-bound new users (roughly 85% of all daily traffic) has remained relatively flat, the user-engagement (content/thread pages viewed) has been falling off for months.

2) Across the Internet, nearly all discussion boards are experiencing a very similar phenomena. The decline in engagement is seen everywhere, even in large long-established video game forums.

The reason, is relatively simple: the audience has changed. The percentage of people comfortable with the rigid/tight discussion board format is decreasing, while the percentage of people accustomed to the more open sensibilities of contemporary flat design is increasing. It's a clearly quantified (and has been) fact of life for online operators.

Our mandate at AboveTopSecret.com, for more than ten years, has been to create and maintain a venue that showcases the quality content created by our members. A big part of that mandate has been consistent attention to search engine optimization. Another big part has been the delicate balance of advertising to provide the revenue needed to support big traffic, our own advertising, and growth. But the biggest part of that balance has always been finding ways to push the boundaries of a discussion board platform so that new users have the best possible chance to discover your content.

Right now, discovery is falling. Action is needed.

So every decision from font-size to color to mobile responsiveness has been from the vantage point of "what best highlights the content." The content is first. The content is second. And the content is third.

I'm not saying your input isn't important

That's why this is the third time we've opened the development site up to members. But if we didn't place a high priority on ensuring your content is both discovered and lingered-over, all we'd be doing is talking amongst ourselves and no one would have encountered the long-list of content that you created, that became important on thousands of other websites and hundreds of news sources.

This IS for you.

this thread is closed.

new topics

top topics

join