It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria, from the inside ...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
My prayers for safety for your friend's mother and her family.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing. As has been stated over and over again, we are going into a mess and will potentially see thousands more killed to avenge the thousands who have already been killed. I fear this: Assad fights back, Iran gets involved - thousands more gassed, shot, slaughtered because the USA needed to send a message. Or: sent the message - now 'fill in the blank'. has control and is killing civilians. This is the best the top minds of our nation can come up with.

Feel sorry for the average citizen there - always but especially now.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The people are about to finally find out the truth behind all this insanity going on in the world right now and I am not sure if that is necessarily a good thing....At least not in the short term....Let's hope all these military activities are just some kind of drills and nothing more,otherwise the whole world will be in a deep trouble....Syria is a very sensitive issue for all parties involved,so this is in no way comparable to Libya or Iraq,etc.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
MOD NOTE:

Do NOT attack fellow posters. This thread is currently undergoing clean up.

Post bans will follow if this continues.

Debate the issue- not fellow members.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

I'm a little disappointed to find out that this is coming from someone living in Damascus who is most likely an Alawite, which would put her in the minority, but also the most protected in Syria.

It would be nice to know how Assad is treating the rest of Syria and the non-Alawites.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This is what happened in Lybia aswell. A lot of citizens have support their leader, but the west wanted to get rid of them.

To the guy that posted the picture on the first page, how do you know, that these dead people have been shot by the regime? Why not the rebels?

All this people that are brainwashed just to believe one side of the story.
I have good friends in Teheran for example, they like Iran. They are Christians and Jews and Muslims. They are not persecuted. They have a good life and like their country.
I bet a lot of people still think that Teheran looks like a city from a 3rd world country.

So please check your source before believing something that is broadcasted in the media. I am not saying at is not true, but you always have to check both sides.
If his friends family tells him, that they support Assad then let them be. Why do you think the rebels are superior?
Would Assad give the people AKs when he is afraid, that they would turn against him?
What about the rebels that have commited warcrimes? Do they not count?

Somewhere I read that NATO studies showed that 70% of the Syrians support Assad, I dont know if that is true, but if so then the rebels are the bad guys and not the good ones.

And please keep it on a level where you do not insult each others
edit on 5-9-2013 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Deetermined

I'm a little disappointed to find out that this is coming from someone living in Damascus who is most likely an Alawite, which would put her in the minority, but also the most protected in Syria.

It would be nice to know how Assad is treating the rest of Syria and the non-Alawites.

She is Christian.

Thank you though, for your input.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

It looks like that places her as more of a minority than the Alawites then.

Christians in Syria make up about 10% of the population.

In May 2011, International Christian Concern indicated that Christians in Syria were more afraid of the anti-government protesters than of the government itself, because under the Syrian Assad government there has been tolerance towards religious minorities.

en.wikipedia.org...

I'd really like to know if it's true that Assad's military is holding thousands of his own Sunni soldiers prisoners to keep them from defecting and joining the opposition.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The fact that she sent her son away to live in Australia speaks volumes against the safety and security and general comfy coziness this tall tail is trying to portray.

Just examining a few facts....

Most of Assad's officers have defected, they are men with families in Syria also.
The sect in Damascus that Assad is from is a minority and enjoys better living conditions then the rest of the population. In no way could the mother from this story claim to represent the majority of Syrians.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Did your neighbor mention syria has been under martial law for, what is it, 40+ years? Dictators may die, but it's so mysterious how it happens isn't it?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP
The fact that she sent her son away to live in Australia speaks volumes against the safety and security and general comfy coziness this tall tail is trying to portray.

He came here as a 29 year old to pursue a career in I.T.

Also, his sister was already here, employed as a doctor.

Australia is the land of opportunity.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattsawaufo
Did your neighbor mention syria has been under martial law for, what is it, 40+ years? Dictators may die, but it's so mysterious how it happens isn't it?

From the stories he has told me, along with the photos to back them up, his childhood seemed about the same as mine. He had a house, a bike, a television, a computer, shopping centres and sporting arenas.

It's only when bad men come and start hurting people that things become 'different.'

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

Just examining a few facts....

The fact that she wouldn't want her son in a country that was full of merciless non-native Al Qaeda killers and about to be bombed by the most powerful & deadly military war-machine on earth?

Makes perfect sense to me.

edit on 6-9-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Some of you may know me as the muslim lady who makes sense on here. Well, i try to. And i was one of the first people who have posted about the Syrian conflict when it first started. I too, just like the OP, have friends in Syria, and like me, my friend happens to be Sunni. He is however married to an alawite lady, theyve a daughter, and are still currently living in Homs. His wifes uncle is a minister in the government and thus they are safe.

From the first days of the conflict he has told us that the rebels that started the conflict, having taken inspiration from all of the other Arab Spring countries, were completely and utterly at odds with each other. That they have killed, raped, tortured, snipered people on the opposite faction whenever they could. That the only reason he supported Assad was because they were a lot more merciful than the rebels fighting each other.

This means that there was a civil war, long before the media admitted to it.

No body is innocent in my opinion. And neither is Assad. Because even though he tried to quell the fighting between the sunnis and alawites, (who already kinda disliked each other from before but didnt bother gunning over), he did go out of bounds.

My question at this point is, if he wasnt responsible for the chemical attack in Damascus, and I personally dont think he was, why hasnt he owned up to the fact that it happened under his nose, that it was probably sourced through HIS weaponry (he didnt deny he had chemical weapons, only that he used them)? As a president who cares about his people, he should have owned up to the complete catastrophe that was, and resigned. Because, I for one, cannot fathom anybody sittingin his seat, smug and in denial of something so large, unless he had a knack for being cold blooded like his father was.

And if youre not familiar with Hafiz Al Asads crimes against his own citizens then let me remind you:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I was lucky to go to Syria (as part of a middle east tour) in 2008 for a few days. Went to Aleppo, Damascus and a few other places including krak des chevaliers which was awesome.

Of course, the image of Syria being some sort of major boogeyman stronghold was completely false. I met a lot of very friendly people there and felt completely safe the entire time I was there.

First and foremost, the loss of life that has already happened and may still come is completely horrible but i'd also like to point out that places like Syria have countless ancient treasures that are going to either be destroyed or conveniently "lost". There are some amazing ancient structures there...

I just hope that somehow this can all be stopped in time!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

I had been on the fence about the US getting involved until this photo appeared on the front page of The New York Times:

Now I'm thinking we should stay out of Syria. Apparently a video was made of the executions this past spring.
I just have no words, just a feeling that the rebels are wagging the dog.
Source:
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

The Assad government armed its people.

The American government is trying to disarm its people.

And the Assad government is the evil one?

But we really shouldnt be surprised. The same government which is backing the Al-CIAeda rebels in Syria is turning the US into a militarized police state and dismantling the Constitution.

GTBH

edit on 6-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nusnus

According to Webster Tarpley, who was touring and speaking from Syria in this 2011 video, said there was no civil war at all. It was propaganda by the West in order to justify some type of invasion.

That the people were asking for the government's help due to Western/trained snipers terrorizing people in the streets hoping to destabilize and start a civil war.

edit on 6-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nusnus

This is the kind of report i'd want to read. Not one-sided and not full of biases as what some people here do who constantly labels anyone who differs as a troll or a sheeple.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

Tell your neighbor that "WE" the REAL American people are sorry for what is about to happen! We have been calling, emailing, etc our government officials and telling them NOT to attack!!

This will fall on deaf ears and we apologize for what our corrupted, diseased system is about to jump into!!

But to answer your questions, NO this does not sound like a government who does not care about it's people! Sounds familiar to the US citizens that have seen this garbage happen before also!!

Would it be enough for you if someone killed your children and all they did to stop it was make a phone call or send an e-mail? Would you accept "sorry but I tried to raise awareness on my facebook account"?

Syria is not only an atrocity. It is a breeding ground for extremism.

Trillions in banker bailouts. Trillions in wars. Millions of lives. Isn't it about time you put yourself in someone elses shoes?

Hang your local millionaire government mouthpiece today.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join