It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we have any freedom left in America?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I know as far as I can tell, in a social situation, I'm not able to talk about anything meaningful. I also recognize that making my own goals is no longer that much of an option.

With all of the psychiatric diagnosis, it is pretty much a crime to do anything from hoard, to space out, to have a close relationship, to act distracted, to get too interested in something.

That kind of reflects itself in society, as people judge based on things like that, and the conversations become shallow. Even in the senate hearings and on the news, it seems like it is a crime to actually talk about real issues.

I'm not really sure what we are free to do in this country, other than go to work, come home and watch television, swim or go to the gym.
edit on 5-9-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I mean, I got pulled over tonight, like I do almost every time I go out. This time I was going a bit under the speed limit and the cops thought I was drunk - so they tested me and everything, and asked me where I was going, where I was headed.

Of course, I was able to drive off, like every time, being asked to drive safely.

Sometimes I will be coming back from a friend's house around 2:00 in the morning and I get pulled over and asked the same questions, I have to explain that I was visiting a friend, and they are like "At this time of night?" and I reply "Yes?" and eventually get let off.

My friend Khai, who is a lesbian, was recently refused treatment at a hospital with her fiance because of their relationship.

So is there some kind of totalitarian standard that everyone is following now? Some totally boring one? Where no one is allowed to have any character traits or be unique?

Does anyone on ATS ever experience discrimination because they happen to have some kind of character?

Does anyone on ATS have a counter-example of when they were allowed to be themselves without social or legal repurcussions and had a great time? In the last month, I mean.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
We praise individualism, but only when it fits within our limited worldviews.

Being different has always been frowned upon by the majority of society, but now we have the ability to modify this kind of behavior on a totally different scale. Previously it might actually have been a positive feature in a civil society, as to assure that it isn't easily corrupted by foreign ideas, that have yet to be fully proven as effective.
This exclusive behavior in society has always been criticized for hindering progress, and limiting diversity, but now more than ever it has the ability to create extremely uniform states. Perhaps one day for the good of mankind, but at the moment certainly for the worse.

edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mads1987

That makes sense, and I agree with you though - the social and technological advances seem like they are going to eliminate any individuality - even things as small as conversation topics, or interests, or personality traits.

By individuality, I mean creative thinking, you know, doing something that you want to do instead of being a robot.

The internet doesn't help, because people are a lot of times losing their ability to socialize in person, and also hanging out with people who have the same views as them and are not used to interacting with different types of people.

Extreme liberalism, with its doctrine of no tolerance of different viewpoints definitely did not help. I think it left our country polarized with both sides hating each other and in each side, you aren't even allowed to have different opinions, but must be homogeneous.

I think that liberal movement succeeded in that it made people homogeneous, it seems to have been abandoned recently, leaving in its wake a disaster.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Yes. You're on this forum practicing your freedom of speech (though on a privately owned and moderated forum.)

Apart from the internet, I suppose it depends on where you live. If you're in the middle of nowhere with no one around, that's pretty free.

If you're in a developed urban/city area, then your freedoms are limited to the laws and how strictly they are enforced.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   

edit on 5-9-2013 by 110240 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
The truth is you`ve never had freedom , nobody has , slavery was not abolished it was updated to fit with the times. We`re all wage slaves , if you refuse to work , you die.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Just a couple days ago I was talking to a friend about how our right are quickly changing... We advertised free speech but in reality it seems only the ones that can afford it have it ... I do find it ironic sorta that protesters who exercise their free speech end up labeled a riot most of the time or are dealt with in "legal" ways . As we have seen multiple times police are using more force enforcing ridiculous rule even making some up as they go, I personally haven't had any encounters with any authority figures since I had a rough past dealing with them I stay indoors.. From what it seems that may be a goal they are setting is to keep us following rules they are testing their limits even when it's just a cop giving a ticket it can become a test for you freedom. I always think from different perpectives and sometimes find myself imagining our future and sometimes I can help but feel like we might one day live a controlled life with only memories of being able to do as we wish ... And other times I picture a future much like in the book The Giver (here's a link for those not familiar with this book- en.m.wikipedia.org... )
I hope we can find a way around this oppression before it becomes uncontrollable and hopefully we can do it without upsetting the scales of power as I believe in the nuclear end of humanity but I won't get ahead of myself as I tend to talk progressively but am not too good with making sense to some ..

Just remember we are still entitled to human rights. (But at least half of those were assaulted by our use to be precious America
.. )

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthiestJesus
The truth is you`ve never had freedom , nobody has , slavery was not abolished it was updated to fit with the times. We`re all wage slaves , if you refuse to work , you die.

Never had the freedom to do what?
You have the freedom to die, is you so desire, and hence to freedom to not work. In some areas you don't have the freedom to exist without having a home, since you are not allowed to live on the street, and having a home usually requires a job, so there are indeed some limitations.
But when people argue that freedom is gone, I always wonder what it is that they feel they aren't free to do.

I generally agree with the whole modern slavery metaphor - even though it seems that we (the public) tolerate and encourage it to a point, where I would rather compare it to cult-mentality or brainwash.

new topics

top topics

join