It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you need to survive on Mars? Shelter, food, liquid. Part 1: Shelter

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Maybe we would find long-lived bacteria or fungi underneath large rocks or inside crevices or caves. I tend to be pretty sceptical on the issue though, as given the geological age and surmised history of where we have been searching up to now, it seems unlikely that given our current technology we can either drill or dig deep enough or in the right place.

Likewise, we cannot currently investigate the regions that may be more geologically interesting, given the inherent safety risks to the rover. This will change at some stage I am certain. The rovers we have cannot currently lift-up or turn-over large rocks or boulders to see what lies beneath. That would be hugely interesting.

As Curiosity approaches its target area we may see some chances at discovery, but the chances to me seem slim. Fingers crossed though!

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Blister

Blister -

Maybe we would find long-lived bacteria or fungi underneath large rocks or inside crevices or caves. I tend to be pretty sceptical on the issue though, as given the geological age and surmised history of where we have been searching up to now, it seems unlikely that given our current technology we can either drill or dig deep enough or in the right place.
What makes you think that there may be any evidence under rocks or underground? Because you dont see it on the surface perhaps? Caves? Where are these caves? Surely if there were there we would have seen some and I would be excited to find one, yet larger caves are often made by wind or water and there has been none of that for millions of years apparently. There are smaller caves around but none that anyone is interested in. What do you call these 'holes' in rocks we see. I call them shelters, but maybe you call them caves because if so, NASA are not moving the rover up to them and peering inside, are they?
====================================

Ok, well I think this thread can just about die.

Since this is ATS, I hoped that someone would come forward and make a counter argument to what I posted and the image evidence I presented.
Show us where and how these shelters are rocks. It seems no-one wants to outline the individual rocks which make up these images and no-one wants to step up to the challenge so I can only guess that they are unable or unwillling to do that. I have presented the evidence and there is no credible counter argument - other than the guys shouting rocks. If they are just rocks, then why bother to come on and say so? It all seems pointless to me, shouting rock at every opportunity.

Thanks you to the ones who have made an effort to shout encouragement and shame on those who shout rock.

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join