It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you need to survive on Mars? Shelter, food, liquid. Part 1: Shelter

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

That's an interesting point. With the density of the atmosphere being so low its ability to absorb heat is also very low. It would seem that the wind chill factor would be greatly reduced because of this.

edit on 9/5/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Plants do not need shelter.
Liquid what? Methane?
Food. Plants don't eat.

Now you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. I assume you happen to be one of these poeple who has to be right all the time.

Plants need to be in an environment where they dont get eaten too much and where they can survive the local environmental conditions. I purposely did not say water because we dont know what liquid there is on Mars at the moment. Plants do need nutrients from the soil, sunlight, and water that is their food and drink. Food to different species can mean different things as I am sure you know. Did you think I meant physically putting food into a mouth-like structure? With the context of Mars, that unlikely.

Now, back on topic please.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Plants need to be in an environment where they dont get eaten too much and where they can survive the local environmental conditions.
You said shelter and showed us rocks. Presumably those rocks are providing some sort of shelter. I see many plants on Earth that do not grow under rocks. I see many plants that are not sheltered in any manner.

I purposely did not say water because we dont know what liquid there is on Mars at the moment.
So any liquid would do. Liquid methane? Metallic mercury?

Plants do need nutrients from the soil, sunlight, and water that is their food and drink.
Soil is not food. Sunlight is not food. Water is drink but it is not food and it is very, very scarce on Mars.

Now, back on topic please.
I have been very much on topic. But your premise seems to be lacking substance.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   

But your premise seems to be lacking substance.
whatever...

If the initial post was not good enough for you, why are you on this thread except to cause disruption?

There is plenty of photographic evidence to discuss shelters, and all you can go on about is food which is NOT the subject of this first part of the series.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo

But your premise seems to be lacking substance.
whatever...

If the initial post was not good enough for you, why are you on this thread except to cause disruption?

There is plenty of photographic evidence to discuss shelters, and all you can go on about is food which is NOT the subject of this first part of the series.

What are they being sheltered from? How would those shelters shelter them? Why do you think they are shelters when they are clearly rocks?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   

What are they being sheltered from? How would those shelters shelter them? Why do you think they are shelters when they are clearly rocks?
Haha funny guy.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   

3) So, what if it is not a rock? Think outside the box. Just because it is rock-shaped, does not mean it is a rock.

Logic, where art thou?

If it LOOKS like a rock, has the same color, shape...smells like a rock...and looks extremely similar to the other rocks...what could it be? Why WASTE time with pointless-speculations? There is still time where "thinking out of the box" is a good...but those "mars threads" *are* becoming hideous.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Haha funny guy.

Not a joke, they are serious questions. Which you apparently don't want to answer.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

He wants people to parrot his answers, he doesn't want a rational, scientific discussion

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

He wants people to parrot his answers, he doesn't want a rational, scientific discussion

Apparently to hide his lack of knowledge of the Martian environment.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I like your enthusiasm, can't knock you for that, but this is a joke thread, right? You can't be serious, surely?

Rocks and rocks, and ooh, look, another rock.....Ooh, wow........

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

It is a bit silly, unless they have radiation shielding properties.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Yet another thread about mars rocks. Ive lost track on how many different things you have claimed rocks on Mars are by now.

I think you should seek help for your rock habit.

edit on 5-9-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Ah too bad.

From your thread title:

"What do you need to survive on Mars? Shelter, food, liquid. Part 1: Shelter"

I got excited to think it was going to be a thread about what humans would need to colonize Mars (especially since you used the pronoun "you" in your thread title).

Only to find it's another Mars "Rock" thread.

All the shapes do look interesting. No, I do not think they are anything but rocks.

Wish you luck with the thread.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
OP --

To me, these alleged "tents" look like rocks -- but let's go with your take on it for the sake of this discussion...

If these are tent-like shelters, then they are for tiny beings. I say the beings must be tiny because going by the size of the alleged tent-like shelters, the beings that inhabit them would be no more than 8 to 10 inches (20 to 25 cm) tall. With that in mind, how do these beings get around on Mars? The terrain they chose to live in is littered with rocks that (relative to the size of those alleged beings) would be the size of impassable boulders.

That begs the question, why didn't they build their tent-structures in a location on Mars that would be easier to get around? There are place very close to those "boulder" fields (boulders relative to the size of the tent-like shelters/the beings that inhabit them) that do not have these boulders.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
Ah too bad.

From your thread title:

I got excited to think it was going to be a thread about what humans would need to colonize Mars (especially since you used the pronoun "you" in your thread title).

All the shapes do look interesting. No, I do not think they are anything but rocks.

See, thats what I thought as well, I might just start a thread with THAT premise

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

Originally posted by eriktheawful
Ah too bad.

From your thread title:

See, thats what I thought as well, I might just start a thread with THAT premise

That's the thread I was expecting, also.

Maybe you (or someone) should create a thread like that...HOWEVER, the shelter (plus food and water) needed on Mars for a manned mission is only half the battle of the mission. There is also the "shelter" (spacecraft), food, and water that would be required for the trip to Mars and the trip back.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Thread's created. In my thread, it is a one way trip to colonize Mars

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The vaguely triangular shape of the structures strongly indicates that these are New World Order dancehalls for sexy popstar parties.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by qmantoo

Yes, I made them up, so what? This is a conspiracy site not freakin physics.org.

Then you posted in the wrong forum. Space Exploration is a science forum. Perhaps you were looking for Skunk Works?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

They never started a 'Mars rocks that look like rocks, but could be something else forum'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join