It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you need to survive on Mars? Shelter, food, liquid. Part 1: Shelter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I am really excited about this thread, but no doubt someone like Phage will be along soon to deflate my enthusiasm.

It seems we have all the ingredients here to help some folk move further towards a realisation that there is life on Mars.
We have
a) multiple images,
b) clear shots, unfuzzy enlargements,
c) left and right camera shots,
d) multiple cameras used.
e) multiple filters => pseudo colour possible

This is mainly from Sol 75 Spirit Site 22

Anyway, as you can see, this shows a shelter with a very visible overhang - like a tent has. Showing a nice path up to the front door with a little wall on the left hand side.

Original - This one taken on Sol 76

another shot of it from a different angle

left and right pair showing shelter clearly in foreground 1/5th way up, 1/5th way in from right
Original - Left camera image
Original - Right camera image

Some other shots of it further away
Original - left edge 2/3rds way up
Original - different view, same one 2/3rds up 1/5th in from right. (notice two dark rocks, slightly left of them is the shelter.
Original - 1/3rd way down, 1/6th way in on left

Original - Middle distance, centre frame
Original - different view same shelter 1/4 way down right edge,and another shelter 1/4 way down 1/2 way across.
===============================================

Strange what looks like a shop sign inside shelter? (That's a question folks!)
Yellow arrows show main thread shelter and other shelters

Context(red arrow points to location)

closer...

Close-up

Original - This one looks like there is a shop sign inside the shelter - with writing on it too
Original - same view of shop sign shelter, different filter

=================================================
Front view of a different shelter from a different site(not site 22)
context

Close-up

Original - front view 1/5th way in from left, 1/2 way down image.

and a couple more to show these similar tent-shaped structures are all around in almost every rover image we have some more
context

close-up

Original - slightly left of centre image

a double, one inside the other
context

close-up

Original - One within another 2/5th way down on right hand side

Finally, and most importantly, here is an animal looking out of its burrow or shelter.
context

close-up

Original - situated left edge half way down

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Thank you for the read.

Have a great day.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
You do realise they are small rocks?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
That rock to the left of the other rock looks very similar to that Iraqi truck carrying WMD's
I say bomb the crap out of it first and then see if there is any life

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
First. Who came up with your criteria of Shelter, food, and liquid?
Second. What are these rocks sheltering life from on Mars?
Third. How would a rock possibly shelter life on Mars?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
If "Phage " doesn't comment, you haven't been peer reviewed.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Here's essentially what you're looking at:

edit on 4-9-2013 by roughycannon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I couldn't see the shop sign you mentioned. Can you provide a better pic of it?

I do like your premise though. An animal on Mars could find adequate shelter, assuming it could breathe in/survive the atmosphere radiation etc.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

1) Obviously I did since it is a thread I started.
2) What would your tent shelter you from here on earth? The environment.
3) So, what if it is not a rock? Think outside the box. Just because it is rock-shaped, does not mean it is a rock. The RAT has examined rocks, but not any of these "rocks".

Who said anything about how large these things are? Dont be so blinkered, a being living in a different environment can be any size, dependant on the environment it lives within. Who cares what size it is and who determines what the size needs to be for intelligence?

I dont really think it is a shop sign, just that it looks rectangular in the pic I was showing. There also appears to be something on the white rectangular 'sign' so I assumed it may be writing as we would have. Obviously, if it is not a sign, then the 'writing' is not writing either. :-) The thing itself is quite far away and to make it any larger would distort it even further. I have given the location and original image URL.
edit on 4 Sep 2013 by qmantoo because: shop sign

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo

1) Obviously I did since it is a thread I started.
2) What would your tent shelter you from here on earth? The environment.
3) So, what if it is not a rock? Think outside the box. Just because it is rock-shaped, does not mean it is a rock. The RAT has examined rocks, but not any of these "rocks".

Who said anything about how large these things are? Dont be so blinkered, a being living in a different environment can be any size, dependant on the environment it lives within. Who cares what size it is and who determines what the size needs to be for intelligence?

I dont really think it is a shop sign, just that it looks rectangular in the pic I was showing. There also appears to be something on the white rectangular 'sign' so I assumed it may be writing as we would have. Obviously, if it is not a sign, then the 'writing' is not writing either. :-) The thing itself is quite far away and to make it any larger would distort it even further. I have given the location and original image URL.
edit on 4 Sep 2013 by qmantoo because: shop sign

So there's no real basis for these 3 criteria, you just made them up. The environment, exactly, so what is the environment of Mars like? How could these rocks (or tents even) shelter anything from the environments of Mars?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

How could these rocks (or tents even) shelter anything from the environments of Mars?

Well you could stay in the shade because we know how hot it gets on Mars.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

You would need a really good imagination.
Seeing that you have that already,
Bon Voyage!

P.S. Have you eaten Lichen before?

Because...

Thanks for cheering me up!

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

So there's no real basis for these 3 criteria, you just made them up. The environment, exactly, so what is the environment of Mars like?
Yes, I made them up, so what? This is a conspiracy site not freakin physics.org.

How could these rocks (or tents even) shelter anything from the environments of Mars?
The same way tents or houses give shelter on Earth.

Besides, what is wrong with you discussing the content posted - which is SHELTERS on Mars? Or Phage for that matter. It is like you have nothing better to say and probably like the sound of your own voice. Why have a go at me. If you dont like it, let it go and the thread will die.

I just think these are some interesting features. If they do not show what I am suggesting, then suggest something else that they might show? Oh.. you can't? Well, maybe I have got it right then?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Yes, I made them up, so what? This is a conspiracy site not freakin physics.org.

Then you posted in the wrong forum. Space Exploration is a science forum. Perhaps you were looking for Skunk Works?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 9/5/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   

So there's no real basis for these 3 criteria, you just made them up. The environment, exactly, so what is the environment of Mars like?

The same way tents or houses give shelter on Earth.

Besides, what is wrong with you discussing the content posted - which is SHELTERS on Mars? Or Phage for that matter. It is like you have nothing better to say and probably like the sound of your own voice. Why have a go at me. If you dont like it, let it go and the thread will die.

I just think these are some interesting features. If they do not show what I am suggesting, then suggest something else that they might show? Oh.. you can't? Well, maybe I have got it right then?

Trust me, I am not being difficult on purpose, there is a point to the questions I ask. The point I would hope you would get is that Mars is not Earth. The environment of Mars is not the same as Earth. It's the equivalent of thinking a simple tent would protect someone in the heart of Antarctica, or that a person could be protected by a tent in the deepest trenches of the ocean. I was hoping you would look into the environment of Mars and think wow, it seemed like a good idea, but now that I know more about Mars not so good.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I dont think these are tents either. So what else? Basically, I see these structures all over the place and they appear to have 'something' in them. They are not what we know as standard rocks and this is why I look at them wherever they appear and see some kind of shelter. They may not be a shelter, but that is the only thing I can assume - given that there is something inside many of them. So, if you all have any other suggestions, that is what discussion is for. I dont know what these things are. Thats why I asked a question and why I am proposing these are shelter structures.

Yes, phage it is a science forum. Which of the 3 things I suggested is not a necessity for survival on any planet. Answer me that one. Your comment was unnecessary.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It also gets very cold at night on Mars...the wind can be bone chilling at times.

These shelters would also make for good windbreaks.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Shelter.
Liquid.
Food.

Plants do not need shelter.
Liquid what? Methane?
Food. Plants don't eat.

Your comment was unnecessary.
You're the one who said you made it up.
edit on 9/5/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

I dont think these are tents either. So what else? Basically, I see these structures all over the place and they appear to have 'something' in them. They are not what we know as standard rocks and this is why I look at them wherever they appear and see some kind of shelter. They may not be a shelter, but that is the only thing I can assume - given that there is something inside many of them. So, if you all have any other suggestions, that is what discussion is for. I dont know what these things are. Thats why I asked a question and why I am proposing these are shelter structures.

Yes, phage it is a science forum. Which of the 3 things I suggested is not a necessity for survival on any planet. Answer me that one. Your comment was unnecessary.

Shelter is not necessary. It may be helpful at times, but not necessary.

Also, I see nothing inside any of them, not sure how you make that claim.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join