It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Damn Shoelaces! Grrrr

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
That's right, I'm ranting about my shoelaces.

I walk often, whether it be from point A to point B, down the hallway in the little Technical School I attend, or even while shopping in the grocery store, and my shoelaces never fail to piss me off.

It's inevitable, if I'm going to be taking more than say, 20 steps, the damned things always come undone. Like they have a mind of their own or some invisible entity has secretly sprayed some slippery stuff onto them that wears off once they come undone. But of course, I give in, get down and retie them... again and again.

I've tried many different strategies with my tying methods. So far, I've made no progress. Tying a double-knot works to an extent. Then my sneakers become loose to the point where I need to untie them to retie them so that I don't lose a shoe. New shoestrings don't work either. I'm at a loss.

I had to rant about this today because I had just come back from a walk to the dollar store, about four blocks, or five minutes away and I needed to retie my damn sneakers three times.

Does anybody else have this happen to them? How do you cope?
I'm half tempted to help Velcro make a comeback. For real.
edit on 4-9-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
lace anchors, get them.

Bought a pair and was skeptical, now all my shoes are slip ons and work well.

lace anchors

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Maybe you're tying them wrong. Watch this.....

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
lace anchors, get them.

Bought a pair and was skeptical, now all my shoes are slip ons and work well.

lace anchors

O.O
Thank you, soo much. I'm getting those puppies.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
most people apparently tie them wrong

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I feel your pain. I spend a lot of time in the bush, and it USED to be a problem for me -- having my bootlaces unravel.

Okay. Much of the commercial shoelaces are made of polyester. The don't clinch in the way that shoelaces of the past did. Back in the day, leather laces were the tough and often-used choices of hikers and boot-wearers, but lately, leather laces are crap; they are cut from parts-is-parts of cow hides, and not from the end-grain, and thus they are weak. I used to spend a fair amount of time oiling my boots and laces with Huberd's shoe grease.

My solution is to find nylon laces. Nylon is tough and it will clinch, if you put force on it. Boot laces, I use nylon, tie them, loop the tie, clinch it and fold my socks over the knot. I recognize that this is the pinnacle of 'dorky boot fashion', but it works. I work (and play!) around vines, several densities of vines and thick bush. I can't be fiddling with my laces.

For boots -- 72" nylon. 1/2 top hiking shoes -- 54".

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I cannot believe that there are youtube tutorials on tying your shoe laces

but on a serious note - replace laces with bungee cord - this doesn't work on all types of footware - trainers and other shoes with a low ankle and large tonge work best

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Hey Kimish...

I feel for you but i have a simple solution.

Pull out those shoelaces, you dont need them.

Just add a couple of squirts of superglue into each shoe and put them back on again...

And Hey presto...

No more shoes falling off or getting loose!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

ps. this is humour by the way

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Thanks Rodinus, hahaha. I had thought about super gluing them to my feet. Duct tape even crossed my mind O.o

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by Rodinus

Thanks Rodinus, hahaha. I had thought about super gluing them to my feet. Duct tape even crossed my mind O.o

Only Superglue...

Ducttape should be kept for the gerbils... (Ask Cody)... Bwahahahahahahahaha

Kindest respects

Rodinus

new topics

top topics

join