It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

puncuation junkies,time to let people post without fear of ridicule

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

Why is it I just seem to spend all day learning? One of these days I'm gonna know something!

Cheers

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse

Why is it I just seem to spend all day learning? One of these days I'm gonna know something!

Cheers

...because, education benefits all...and a teacher learns as much as the student in the exchange...once you think you know everything, you might as well disappear up your own fundament.

So...let's all learn from each other, teaching what we know...

Å99

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Too bad we can't instill that idea to the Taliban in Afghanistan and give the ladies a chance.

Last off topic post for me or I'll be getting the big sign

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I think most little errors are easy to ignore. I have to go back and correct spelling goofs often because I do type fast, and sometimes I just hit the wrong key and it's actually a real word. Those who are speaking English as a second language I truly applaud because of their effort.

I am more of a paragraph Nazi. I greatly appreciate separating large paragraphs because it is hard to read and I will just skip it. I even break up paragraphs that I shouldn't just to make it easier to read. People really need to lighten up. If I can understand the point, then I don't care about the errors.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

Reading crappy written things on the net has deteriorated my grammar skills. Oddly enough when I used to just read books, the opposite would occur.

Maybe if we actually cared about such things we could all improve together instead of collectively becoming worse.

just a thought.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Lots of good comments here.

My main attitude (being a bit of a grammar and spelling nazi myself) is that I've found poor spelling and grammar skills coincide with poor or rudimentary thinking skills. I will scan the text first and if there's more than minimalist mistakes, I'm not going to bother trying to decode it. My time is more important than yours if you're that lazy and I probably learned what you're awkwardly attempting to say a long time ago. Perhaps the other point that needs to be made is that *I* don't spend any time at all on a math-centric website, just because that's neither my interest nor skill set. Why are you here in an English-language, writing centered forum trying to post when you're obviously not up to the task? Just read and learn...

This in no way applies to people who are posting in other than their native language and more power to you; it's all I've been able to accomplish to master English.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
Did you make your paragraphs this bad on purpose??? I don't know if this is sarcasm or if you're being real now

Nope, this is natural for him. Check out his other threads in his profile.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Well I have to say I have a huge problem with punctuation and spelling correctly, but I don't feel the need to correct others...it is my own anal retentive obnoxious bi-polar obsessive compulsive disorder that makes me go crazy trying to make sure I spell and punctuate anything I write properly. For instance me and my one finger typing inevitably will go just a little to fast sometimes, but unlike many that do reply or create threads I have this incredible urge to correct myself.

What cracks me up the most though is the twits in yahoo game rooms that jump on typos like they are the worst possible infraction on the planet. Unfortunately there is no way to edit in a game room once you click enter, at least here you get those little squiggly red lines to give you a heads up.

And through it all I just am not smart enough to write properly, man I suck.

For the record, while writing this I had 4 typing errors and corrected them, I also, tried to use proper spacing and for the love of god, did my best to remember what my 6th grade English teacher taught me, of course at my age that itself is quite difficult.

edit on 5-9-2013 by soulpowertothendegree because: See had to fix something

edit on 5-9-2013 by soulpowertothendegree because: something else had to be fixed OCD

edit on 5-9-2013 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I don`t pay any attention to the grammar police. We aren`t typing historical documents that will be framed and hung on a wall in the nations capital for future generations to ooo and aahhh over,we are just posting short comments in an internet forum that will only be read by a couple dozen people,so there`s no need to put on your sunday going to church clothes just to sit on the porch drinking some beer on a friday night.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I have a question for everyone who takes punctuation , grammar and spelling way to seriously - why ?

ATS is not a eng lang class - so get over it the only place where technical writing flaws should be an issue is the creative writings section

it [ bad grammar ] does not "weaken " a persons argument when addressing factual matters - if you posit that it does would you REALLY believe a beautifully written essay opining that ` the earth is flat and at the centre of the solar system ` over a rebuttal that explains correctly the physics of the earth being an oblate sphere in a heliocentric solar system and the evidence for this - that is riddled with grammatical errors

well would you ????

if you would ............................. [ the T&C prohibits my first second and 3rd choice of response ]

if not - then it doesn't matter does it ?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I personally don't ever call out people's use of grammar or punctuation. We all have small errors slip in from time to time, and as this is not a doctoral thesis, who cares.

I mainly judge content in a post, not grammar and punctuation.

Still when someone writes like this and never finishes a sentence and it seems that they just talked into a phone to get this statement out and have never read a book or they would have realized that in written form periods commas and sentence structure is important to the organization of thought I get annoyed because what the hell maybe if it was done artistically one could say they are breaking down barriers but that's not even true because they write like a ten year old after downing a two liter of mountain due.

and...

edit on 5-9-2013 by AudioOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I feel you completely. Some on here are completely anal retentive.

And to the person that posted about spelling and punctuation being taught in elementary:
While I am self conscious about it, including how awful my actual handwriting is, there is a good reason for my issues.
How much does a child absorb, when they move 13 times, in 5 years? Not all of us had the best elementary education, so at least try to be polite if your going to attack someone for it.

Yeah, I'm a bit defensive about it, can you tell?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sparky31
why?seriously why do people feel the need to be punctuation junkies?20 odd years ago i didn,t have the education that i wanted and yeah back then is not something i want to disclose but just cause i don,t punctuate right does that mean i can,t post here?

really i may not able to put down things in writing but doesn,t make me an idiot,i try put it down for people to understand and 99% of people don,t have a problem with it.That 1% want to bring the person down and i don,t get it.

you know what,i bet most people who can,t punctuate may actually be more intelligent than the person slagging them off so my advice is ignore them and keep posting,just don,t do what i just did and lower yourself to getting deleted for manners decorum.

Capital W for why, Sparky.

Punctuation makes it easier to read, spelling makes it easier to understand.

It is manners, plus it shows that though you may be uneducated, education denies ignorance.

Their, as in, it is their balloon.
There, as in, there is a balloon.
They're, as in, they're the owners of said balloon.

Not that hard

Next week we will look at were, where and we're (probably take me a week to educate meself).

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

What the hell did you say? I can't understand you. That's why people like punctuation...if you wan't to talk like a idiot go ahead, we don't care. It's not like it's making us look bad.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Language...Linguistics...

These are important to me. These are important to all of us, because these concepts, Language and Linguistics, are the way in which we not only express our thoughts outwards, but also we internalize our thoughts linguistically.
If you say "Thank you" in your head, to yourself, you have the ability, if you say it with enough intention, to feel grateful. A simple sentence, "Thank you" can make you FEEL "Thank you". It doesn't matter how you say it. It doesn't matter if in your head you said "tahanak yuou" or "thx u", you will FEEL "Thank you" (grammatically correct and all!). Language and Linguistics can go a lot further than that. Internally, we can use it to mnemonically induce practically any state of being and mind that we desire. Externally, we can turn our internal dialogue into an intricate (or, should I say, extricate) flow of words which can accurately (at least to the person writing) describe what we are experiencing, which exists outside of words, language and linguistics.

Using these concepts can enrich our life. It may also have absolutely no effect on our life what-so-ever. However, it will not decrease your quality of life. The only thing we would do well to remember is that, if we cannot convey our thoughts expressively in a way others can understand it, are you sure you can convey your thoughts to yourself in a way that your subconscious mind can understand you? What I mean here, has taken me a long time to try and understand. Our subconscious mind, from what I understand, can only understand very direct and very concise and clear 'directions'. If you say "I don't want to not feel happy" your subconscious will not pick all of that up. It will understand "I want to feel happy".

Here is a personal anecdote of how I came about portions of this knowledge. I was at a loss trying to figure out how I could successfully induce Lucid Dreams consistently. I then learned of a method which was called "MILD" which stood for Mnemonic Induction of Lucid Dreams. Basically, before bed, I would repeat in my head, putting as much weight in every single word, really meaning what I said "When I dream, I will remember I am dreaming and control my dream." First night, no results, second night, no results... I couldn't figure out what I had been doing wrong. And then, it dawned on me, my instructions were muddled! Though to my conscious they seemed perfectly clear, after all, I could understand it perfectly... I changed the wording "I will remember I am dreaming and control my dream." I achieved results that night. Why? My subconscious had picked up "When I" dream as a signal to 'wait' for the dream to come. Well, of course, the dream would come, but my subconscious would still be waiting for the 'when'!

It's simple things like that. Language and Linguistics is very important to me. That is why I take care to be grammatically correct, to have correct spelling and make my writing easy to understand for myself and others.

Cheers,
/_\.G.R.E

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Sorry, Im no grammar/punctuation Nazi.

But using a comma in place of an apostrophe is just taking ignorance to the extreme.
I never had a good education either, but you know what, I looked and learned for myself.
If you dont have the basic observation skills to notice something as basic as the difference between a comma and an apostrophe, then what do you expect people to think? You really expect people to take anything you say seriously?

You will notice that for words like dont, or thats, I leave out the apostrophe altogether. I suggest that, instead of making yourself look dumber than a primary school child. You arent doing yourself any favours.

We are never too old to learn, in fact most days I learn something new. Life is more rewarding that way.
DONT imprison your mind, the more knowledge you have, the more complete, balanced and well thought out your ideas will be in your own head, before you even begin to express those thoughts and ideas to others.

Language has rules for a reason, its to maximise understanding of the ideas being expressed by the reader.

Its a hard enough task to express ourselves with the limits of language already without making yourself even harder to understand or comprehend.

When I was a teenager I would be made fun of by my friends, "Nuff brains, no common sense" thats what they said, it hurt, but it was true. I soon fixed the problem of not having common sense. It did me the world of good.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I would post more but I have to get my wake up punctuation fix ...

Lighter, spoon, semi colon... ahhhh

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
I have a question for everyone who takes punctuation , grammar and spelling way too seriously - why ?

Common and obvious mistakes are normal. Blatant disregard for punctuation and sentence structure can cause meanings to be lost or misunderstood.

The original post, for example, was understandable - but not nice to look at. Like reading a captcha image. It can be done, but nobody enjoys doing it.

Using a comma in place of an apostrophe (and period).
Failing to end a sentence with a period or begin a sentence with a capital letter.
Failing to begin a new sentence with a space to separate it from the previous sentence.
Replacing one word with another that sounds similar but has a completely different meaning.

Each of these things by itself makes a writing look awkward - all together, tell something about the author.

If the author can't be bothered to care about the presentation of his/her ideas, why should I be bothered to read them?
edit on 5-9-2013 by stutteringp0et because: corrected quote

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparky31
you know what,i bet most people who can,t punctuate may actually be more intelligent than the person slagging them off so my advice is ignore them and keep posting,just don,t do what i just did and lower yourself to getting deleted for manners decorum.

Pennies to pounds (dimes to dollars, I guess would be the American expression),
I'll take that bet!

I dont agree with people that belittle others for their spelling or grammar mistakes. After all, there are plenty of reasons why someones language skills may not be up to scratch, such as dyslexia, or some other form of learning difficulty.

I do however agree with those in this thread that are making the point regarding the use of a comma in place of an apostrophe. I mean, the spelling in your post is not bad, so why is it so difficult to use the correct key on the keyboard? Im assuming the key is functional of course, as I would have thought if it wasn't, you would have mentioned this by now.

1 last thing, and I don't think it's been mentioned, but possibly demonstrated in this very thread. Im sure some of these so-called "Grammar Nazis" have nothing but the best intentions at heart. Obviously not the people that would ridicule the offending poster, but certainly some are more than likely just trying to be helpful, much like Tinkerbell did a few posts back.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

(Take solace in the fact that when you see them in real life they generally look humorous to say the least.)
Usually they offer very little to the thread other ad hominem ridicule. It's really about ego for them.
It tells you a lot about them.
Limbo

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join