It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

puncuation junkies,time to let people post without fear of ridicule

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
why?seriously why do people feel the need to be punctuation junkies?20 odd years ago i didn,t have the education that i wanted and yeah back then is not something i want to disclose but just cause i don,t punctuate right does that mean i can,t post here?

really i may not able to put down things in writing but doesn,t make me an idiot,i try put it down for people to understand and 99% of people don,t have a problem with it.That 1% want to bring the person down and i don,t get it.

you know what,i bet most people who can,t punctuate may actually be more intelligent than the person slagging them off so my advice is ignore them and keep posting,just don,t do what i just did and lower yourself to getting deleted for manners decorum.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Did you make your paragraphs this bad on purpose??? I don't know if this is sarcasm or if you're being real now

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Ya, sometimes we mistype, sometimes we are tired, sometimes we just drink too much kool-aid.
The grammar police go overboard at times.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I notice puctuation, but I don't comment on it.

I assume the people who misuse grammar, punctuation, and spelling are doing it out of ignorance of correct usage. "Deny Ignorance."

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I think you make a fair point, if a little dramatic in style.

The ones I hate the most are the superiority clowns that dump on someone who clearly doesn't speak, let alone type English as a first language. That isn't even skill or ability. That's just the best they can do and may sound as intelligent as Einstein in their native tongue.......but still get taken for fools by some.

I edit obsessively because, frankly, I never learned to type the proper way. I learned by two finger pecking. then eventually, all finger pecking...and today? Heck.. I type conversationally at over 50 Wpm, before you count test anxiety for the score not being higher. Just don't ask.....really...don't ask..about accuracy rate. (whistles a nameless tune while fascinated by something on the ceiling).

To the Grammar, Punctuation, Capitalization and form Nazi's Well...? A big stiff arm salute to ya all and do us all a big favor will ya? Ask that big, dumb, oaf, Stephen Hawking, how his punctuation and spelling are doing these days? Poor guy is just dumb as a box of rocks, huh?

edit on 4-9-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

I hear ya. I like people that write as they speak. If I can understand you, mission completed. If not, then punctuation isnt going to help.

Also I am a horrid speller. I mean its pretty bad. If it wasnt for the plethora of spell checks in programs I use, browsers, and other such services I would look like a third grader tying at his parents computer.

Some people just focussed their education on memorizing the facts as given, the procedures, the etiquette ect..

Others (myself included) were busy trying to learn to learn. We usually are at odds with formal academia and tend to lack formal educations. We dont memorize exact dates, names, and other trivial information. We look at the story, the global truth to a situation, and the purpose of it all. We prefer depth of thought and range of function over poignant intellectuallism aimed at design and flow.

It really breaks down to how your brain is wired. People who focus on the trivial details usually lack an ability to "see" history, "feel" math, or assimilate ideologies into their core being "as one".

Its all song and dance with no soul for them.

I pity the fools.

hold it down.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
Did you make your paragraphs this bad on purpose??? I don't know if this is sarcasm or if you're being real now
seriously this is what i,m talking about,i can,t write things down like people want me to and i,m trying to break it up for people to understand but first msg is are u having a laugh,no theres no sarcasm

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

The same as you mate, I got a crap education, didnt even have a teacher for the last two years

But you know what? I'm glad, because my head isn't quite as full of sh.t as those punctuation nazi's seem to be.

Great op

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparky31

seriously this is what i,m talking about,i can,t write things down like people want me to and i,m trying to break it up for people to understand but first msg is are u having a laugh,no theres no sarcasm

I just don't understand how you can see people write the same exact words as you and still not be able to do one simple thing. I don't care if you don't know how to spell, mix up words or make run on sentences.

When you see someone post and they say don't, then you go on to type don,t, that's where I see the problem. It would take all of 5 seconds to learn from your mistake and correct it, if your keyboard is broke that's a different story. If you can't fix something that simple after you've seen it, then that's ignorance on your part, no one elses.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Ridicule? No. Comprehensible responsibility? Absolutely. English is not every member's main language. For one reason or another, English is hard enough on folks from some countries to learn to speak and read it....and then see it slaughtered and confusing.

It does portray an urgency to post without regard to being comprehensible by everyone. Ive usually got 3-4 re-edits myself from grammar mistakes I find before and even after...I'm posting replies.

I do understand too being lenient with the flow, but I dont understand some who dont use periods, and the posting is non-stop in a single line without breaks. That is called rambling....

And rambling I feel, does not add credibility and attention to detail when someone posts or responds. I kind of just move on because I figure I dont need to read what someone feels if they dont care how to make their writing(s) understandable to me. It makes me disregard their points if they cannot make them legible for everyone.

*That includes ALL CAPS (shouting), single lines that are really 3-4 paragraphs, a bunch of exclamation points!(!!!!!!!!!!!), Breaking!, Proven! At last! Finally!, and the last "Here we go!!

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by tadaman

I hear ya. I like people that write as they speak. If I can understand you, mission completed. If not, then punctuation isnt going to help.

Also I am a horrid speller. I mean its pretty bad. If it wasnt for the plethora of spell checks in programs I use, browsers, and other such services I would look like a third grader tying at his parents computer.

Some people just focussed their education on memorizing the facts as given, the procedures, the etiquette ect..

Others (myself included) were busy trying to learn to learn. We usually are at odds with formal academia and tend to lack formal educations. We dont memorize exact dates, names, and other trivial information. We look at the story, the global truth to a situation, and the purpose of it all. We prefer depth of thought and range of function over poignant intellectuallism aimed at design and flow.

It really breaks down to how your brain is wired. People who focus on the trivial details usually lack an ability to "see" history, "feel" math, or assimilate ideologies into their core being "as one".

Its all song and dance with no soul for them.

I pity the fools.

hold it down.

see thats the way i see it,if i can understand it i don,t care and even if i have to read it twice then so what.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Well, grammar is taught from an early age in school. So is spelling.

I notice that the biggest grammar junkies (worst grammar) tend to be the ones freshest out of school, which is a shame really because it shows, to me anyways, that they didn't take their education seriously. To be that fresh out of school and to misspell easy words? Hell, there's even a spell checker when you're typing a reply.

choose
chose
their
there
they're
accept
except

Those are all common, and I understand that they are hard to remember when to use which (witch) one.

I guess, to me, the people that knowingly do it out of ignorance are just that, ignorant. It gets to me because I'm 14 years removed from school and I know the difference. Not only that but to the people who's first language isn't English, it's harder for them to understand with misspelled grammar.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Ok, you are using a comma ( , ) instead of an apostrophe ( ' ) They are different keys on the keyboard. Does this help?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Here's why punctuation and grammar are important... if you want people to read your threads/posts and take them seriously, then make it easier for them to read by writing it correctly. Proper punctuation and grammar also go a long way to show your prospective audience that you actually care about what you are writing and that you pay attention to detail. You could have the best theory, or a very strong hypothesis, etc.. but your point will be lost in between the bad grammar and missing and/or out of context punctuation.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
"...puncuation junkies,time to let people post without fear of ridicule"

One more thing in regards to the title: is it time for the punctuation "junkies" to disregard posts for being in-comprehensible? Thats what's happening here....

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

The same as you mate, I got a crap education, didnt even have a teacher for the last two years

But you know what? I'm glad, because my head isn't quite as full of sh.t as those punctuation nazi's seem to be.

Great op
thank you,maybe they are just scared we ask more intelligent questions but we just don,t know how to write it out.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I wouldn't call myself a punctuation junkie.

As someone pointed out, there are words such as there, their, etc...(see above) that are commonly misused, but that doesn't really bother me much. I'm reading someones comments or thoughts, not a scientific report. I understand some people don't know the difference for various reasons and I still understand their point so it's really not too big an issue for me.

What does bother me is the use of U (you) NO (know) etc...I realize it's shorthand but if you can't take the time to properly spell such words to convey your thoughts and opinions, I probably don't care much what you have to say.
I find people who use these types of spelling to be either on the young side or the stupid side.

About the only thing writing related I ever comment on is when someone writes a huge block of text and they fail to press ENTER once, completely oblivious to the concept of a paragraph. I don't care if it's used properly or not, I just care that it's difficult to read and I usually just skip those posts entirely.

Bottom line for me is that you spell and format your thoughts in a good enough way that I understand what you're trying to convey. Other than that, I know we aren't all writers and we don't all speak English as a first language.

Many good points of view from all sides above.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917

Ok, you are using a comma ( , ) instead of an apostrophe ( ' ) They are different keys on the keyboard. Does this help?

Ok, further advice, the comma key ( , ) is located just to the right of the M key, and the apostrophe key ( ' ) is located just to the left of the ENTER key on the keyboard ( for writing can't won't I'm and so on).

edit on 4-9-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

Sorry, I'm trying to help, but now I'm sounding like one of them

edit on 4-9-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

Some of my favorite reads on ats have been where a punctuation nazi has written a huge op moaning and cussing about the state of peoples spelling/grammar, and then someone rips their op to pieces showing us all the mistakes they've made
I love those.

I'm like you, I hate the wall of text, thats just not on.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
At the end of the day it really doesn't matter as much as some people make out but for me it confuses the message that's being presented. If it's written poorly and I don't have the time to read something several times to get what's being said I'll just skip over it. When I was a teen, way before posting on the internet was around, I would get thrashed by everyone I wrote to for spelling and grammar. I finally decided I'd had enough and began to pay attention to my mistakes, learning as I went until the thrashing went away. Language, like math, if used correctly can make concepts easy to understand. I'm not without error I know but I didn't get this far by yelling out to the world "Get over it!" I made an effort to get it right. English as a second language is excusable without question...I know how badly I'd suck posting on a Spanish forum. The misuse of "then" and "than" drives me a bit crazy but if you try to point it out you're a Nazi! They are two different words! So I feel a bit strange having to spend my time deciphering a post because you couldn't be bothered to take time to learn so it's up to me to "get over it". As I said, at the end of the day, it's not a HUGE deal but If I fail to understand what your message is...Get over it!

edit on 4-9-2013 by minkmouse because: Missing "s"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join