It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taser used on 80 year old woman in Mississauga

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Now I don't normally post in these forums and join the cop bashing that generally occurs after such sensational headlines.

However a recent occurrence in Ontario, whereby an 80 year old woman was tazed by police and subsequently suffered a broken hip, has hit a little close to home.

ca.news.yahoo.com... 8.html

I used to think this was more of an American problem (I am Canadian), but with the recent streetcar shooting of 18yo Sammy Yatim in Toronto, and this recent tazing of an old lady, has gotten me somewhat worried.

You see, police in my province have very recently just been approved the use of tasers, and I worry we'll see out of control use like this in my parts one day. I shudder to think of anyone's grandmother/mother getting tased while walking down the street.

The article doesn't really explain why police tased the 80yo, but really!?!

What police officer needs to taze an 80yo woman?? Was she too much to handle for the fragile cop??

Ugh..

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Goldcurrent

Animals.

Nothing else to say.

For the establishment apologists, theres no excuse for this.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I guess we can be happy they didn't shoot her.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I get the feeling that this is the way things are going to go with the police ever more violent.

The British Bobby was well loved and respected and an important part of our community. But this has changed steadily as they now look like an army. I had a friend who was a prison officer when I was near Bristol and she had to do some extra training in riot control and said that those who had had thaat training could be called in at anytime to work alongside the police.

With resources getting shorter due to more and more or us and tighter control being exerted against the public I suspect the police are being trained as an army to keep us all in order, so the odd tasing and beatings are an act to instil fear, especially when they get clean away with their acts so often.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goldcurrent
reply to post by gladtobehere

I guess we can be happy they didn't shoot her.

9 times. (sorry, finishing your sentence there, lol...)

This is getting out of hand....I'm afraid it's going to get worse.

jacygirl

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
They probably mistook a bottle of calcium pills for a handgun . . .

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I read about this. I am on the east coast in a sleepy town, but I worry about the new stance they seem to be taking. Almost as if a new executive order has come from headquarters to ramp up the control and presence factor on the public. Not
boss!! Some police forces could really use a purging.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
There's no such thing as a cop anymore, just thugs and murderers.

When someone tasers an 80 year old they show the world they are a coward.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I find it highly unlikely that the use of a Tazer was warranted considering we're talking about an 80 year old woman, but considering we have no idea why she was tazed perhaps we should cool our jets a little.

I think tazers are a great tool for LE, but they are becoming a crutch and it seems sometimes common sense just flies out the window.

I'm reminded of a few other incidents when a suicidal person was tazed along the side of the road for fear they would jump into traffic. Obviously blocking traffic would be a better approach, but time is a luxury.

For all I know this woman was about to jump off a bridge and the cop couldn't get to her in time or something a long those lines.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I should also mention that Ontario had approved the use of tasers by police just a day earlier.

The next day, it seems the police couldn't contain themselves. I mean tasers just get approved and they go out an taze 80yo an woman.

Yikes.
edit on 4-9-2013 by Goldcurrent because: (no reason given)

ETA: this article expands a bit on the tazing..It seems there were three officers present. 3 officers and an 80yo woman gets tazed. People....just let this sink in for common sense' sake.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

edit on 4-9-2013 by Goldcurrent because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Goldcurrent

That's a little troubling. I hope they were at least trained prior to the approval. That does sound a little too much like an itchy trigger finger.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
The yahoo story has gone ?? anywhere else that has info ?

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I don't know, both articles I linked to seem to work fine for me.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
same area a guy was shot 9 times then tasered, That idiot cop got charged, this moron cop should be charged also.

new topics

top topics

join