It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Non-Smokers Discriminate?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
My friend who has smoked for almost 15 years finally quit. He hasn�t smoked in about a month and he was saying the most amazing thing about becoming a non-smoker is realizing how much non-smokers discriminate against smokers. He said it was like joining a secret club that he never knew even existed before. Apparently, non-smokers talk down to smokers, give lesser service in bars and restaurants, they get worse seating in restaurants and other venues, etc. and they get some REALLY nasty looks from people. I was amazed to hear this but after thinking about it, I must confess I sometimes find myself favoring people who don�t smoke over smokers. Personally, I couldn�t say why, though.

I read once that smokers tend to have deep down inside them a subconscious self-hatred. Maybe that�s the reason.

My friend simply says people hate them cuz people in general despise addicts.

I, for one, wonder about their sense of self-preservation.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
they get worse seating in restaurants and other venues

I think it is called the smoking section.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I cant speak for everyone but for me smokers just stink. I am not saying this to be mean I used to smoke myself. Sitting next to one is like sitting next to a pile of burning trash and that is if they DONT smoke, if they light up its worse.

Nothing personal, like I said I smoked for over 20 years.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Yeah, well I have nothing against them as people apart from the fact I find it hard to breathe when around smokers, that and them increasing my risk of lung cancer, other diseases I'd rather avoid if given the choice and the awful lingering smell.

Very few people I know now smoke, which is quite refreshing, at least those that do have the decency to do it out in the open where it won't harm me as much.

Though I still think smoking a cigar looks mighty cool... (no really
)

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I hate to say this, but I think smokers should be "discriminated" against in certain establishments. If someone wants to smoke then it is completely their right to do so, but when they affect others by their smoking then there is a problem. Smokers choose to smoke...non-smokers do not choose to have a smoker sit at the table next to them and puff those cancerous rings into their lungs.

Lets look at it this way...

Smoking is an addiction. Should we be forced to cater to people with a deadly addiction? No. An example would be: Should there be a "Sex addiction" section of restaurants just the same as a "smoking section"...we dont cater to those people that are addicted to sex or drugs, but somehow smokers at least get a "section" to sit in.

As far as I am concerned smoking should be banned from all buildings for a number of reasons...second hand smoke to unwilling people, fire hazards, etc.

I get the slight feeling reading the first post that we are comparing discrimination of, say, smokers to African Americans, etc. If this is the case there is no comparison that can be made as smokers "choose" to smoke, and African Americans, Homosexuals, etc. do not "choose" their skin color or sexuality. There is no discrimination torward smokers...they choose to do what they do and must accept some limitations because of it.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   

the most amazing thing about becoming a non-smoker is realizing how much non-smokers discriminate against smokers.
I've got a friend who started smoking around a year ago and she was very surprised about how people/strangers acted and treated her. I'm not surprised. Most smokers don't show any consideration to those around them that may not want to be around it. She hardly considers her non smoking friends until someone mentions it....it's hard to deal with.

give lesser service in bars and restaurants, they get worse seating in restaurants and other venues, etc. and
Most of that is smoking sections and most restaurants have policies where the more attractive and well dressed people get seated where they'll be seen, up front in view...since smoking isn't so much a socially acceptable thing they got moved to the back.

they get some REALLY nasty looks from people.
Honestly, smokers stink....literally....that smell is just horrible.

I couldn�t say why, though.
Look above

Cameron

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

Originally posted by jupiter869
they get worse seating in restaurants and other venues

I think it is called the smoking section.

It used to be called the non-smoking section.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Nonsense, I'm a non-smoker & I don't treat smokers any different than non-smokers. Yes, I avoid sitting by them because I don't want to breathe their smoke & I don't want to smell like smoke when I get home.

What really bothers me is all the stupid laws they are making against smokers, I think it should be the establishment owners who decide whether or not to allow smoking & not some government entity. There's even places making smoking outdoors in parks illegal now - little police states poppoing up everywhere.

I tend to avoid restaurants & bars that cater to smokers, because I know if I have more than one drink there I'll have to shower when I get home & place my clothes in the laundry immediately as it would stink up my house, but I think it would really suck if those kind of places didn't exists.

[edit on 12-11-2004 by outsider]

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Smokers don't show any consideration? ...We are giving you a higher chance of lung cancer?...

Who says when one of us lights a cigarette, you have to stand right beside us when it obviously disturbs you...are your feet stuck to the ground? lol

I live in canada and smokers are discriminated against like crazy, we are not aloud to smoke within 10 metres of any public building, we have a smoking section, painted on the sidewalk usually in yellow paint. Its like a box...weird.. lol ... so why are you non-smokers standing in MY BOX?!

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Lol, quite an argument for a terrorist: "What? So I released a little sarin gas nearby... People didn't HAVE to walk nearby if they didn't want to be affected, tsch!"

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Another smoker here.
I think all cars should be banned because we are all breathing the poison gasses expelled by them. Yeah, it's going to make your commute a lot longer but it's better for everyone in the long run...

Get it yet?

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BLiND_
Who says when one of us lights a cigarette, you have to stand right beside us when it obviously disturbs you...are your feet stuck to the ground? lol

I agree, but...

What right do smokers have to come and stand near us non-smokers? Even if a smoker stands 10 feet away from me I still get a good whiff of the smoke because smoke "travels". Smokers are not being discriminated against, in fact, I would go so far as to say that us non-smokers are doing all we can to give into your addiction...this is why you still have even the slightest area of a restaurant left. Discrimination against non-smokers does not exist...its your "choice" plain and simple...just because you want to pollute your body does not give you the right to do so to others.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fry2
Another smoker here.
I think all cars should be banned because we are all breathing the poison gasses expelled by them. Yeah, it's going to make your commute a lot longer but it's better for everyone in the long run...

Get it yet?

I agree with your statement. I think it would be lovely to ban all cars and pollution. However, until you or someone else makes an affordable alternative we are "stuck" with polluting ourselves with Carbon Monoxide. Some could argue that cars and transportation are a benefit to society...so how would smoking be a benefit to society? In other words...we give up some of our own lifespan to breath bad fumes of vehicles for the benefit of faster travel. What would smoking have to offer society in such a manner?

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman

Smoking is an addiction. Should we be forced to cater to people with a deadly addiction? No. An example would be: Should there be a "Sex addiction" section of restaurants just the same as a "smoking section"...

I like this Idea

I dont smoke but dont think you should force stores and bars, etc to ban smokers.

It should be up to the restaurant to do as it wishes.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
My idea of freedom is this- You should be able to do whatever you want, as long as it doesnt negatively effect other people. Smoking, however, does negatively effect other people.
I dont believe in a ban on smoking since I believe people have the right to put whatever they want into their bodies. I do, however, support a ban on smoking in enclosed spaces other than one's car and home. I also think it should be illegal to smoke inside your home if you have children living there. In other words, you should be able to smoke only in places where it wont affect other people.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I don't remember smoking ever being a form of transport...

I personally never drive anywhere and avoid walking along roads, bring on the electric/Hydrogen/etc public transport. Bus fumes make me feel sick

Oh, and yes I move away from smokers rather than glare at them, I've occationally asked people to blow their smoke in other directions, as long as you're polite they never have a problem with it (Well, except one or two people. But that's A**holes for you, rather than smokers in general), glaring at people and being anti-social is never a good way to get along.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   

...we are not aloud to smoke within 10 metres of any public building, we have a smoking section, painted on the sidewalk usually in yellow paint. Its like a box...weird..

I've got to ask you... isn't that degrading to be confined to a yellow box? Why do you put up with that kind of humiliation? Have you no self-respect? Why not quit?

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I agree for the most part with you Amuk. I would go so far as to say that it should be left up to the owners of the establishments to decide what is best...in most cases. Some instances where I think intervention may be needed is, for example:

1. Owner allows smoking in a family establishment, with the potential risk to young children who are not old enough to "decide"

2. Where the overwhelming majority of patrons are non-smokers who do not want to be affected by smokers

3. etc...you get my point.

For all intent and purpose smoking is just as much of a choice as not smoking. If a someone wants to partake in the act then I have no right to stop them even if I disagree with it, and on that note...I never would stop them unless they influence others. Same goes for drinking as well, or any other "controllable" action.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Sometimes having a smoke can defuse a potentially violent situation
?

Seriously, I consider myself a courtious smoker. I NEVER light a cigarette in a non-smokers house or car. I never used to smoke in bars or eating establishments (can't now by law
) when with non-smokers. I don't throw by "butts" out of the car window or on the ground EVER!
I don't expect everyone to smoke, let alone want to be close to it.
I also don't expect the government to tell my favorite local pub that every single patron has to go outside in the snow and rain to have a smoke with a drink.
Amuk has once again put it in the best terms.
The owner of the establishment should have control over his/her property.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Some instances where I think intervention may be needed is, for example:

1. Owner allows smoking in a family establishment, with the potential risk to young children who are not old enough to "decide"

YOU can decide though.

If it were shown to increase profits they would CHASE smokers out

I dont have a probelm with a "smoking" restaurant I usually just avoid them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join