It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

21st Century Christian ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
CHRISTMAS SHOPPING GIFT IDEAS

So you know I love Christmas, it is a wonderful time to bring out our humanity as we remember Jesus and what he stood for with our hearts. Even for those who choose to celebrate without any religious attachments, at least we can celebrate this season as a time that we can extend our good will towards others who we love, as well as others we do not even know but would appreciate even the most modest gesture!

I would like to start with some gifting ideas under ten dollars that I have enjoyed to share upon the homeless. Its winter, they are hungry and cold, and the biggest blessings can arrive in small packages.
My goal for years has been to spend $100 to help ten different homeless people. Have not really made it past fifty for many years, but I will continue to make an effort. This leaves me about ten dollars per person.

• Package of white T-shirts - can usually be purchased in qty's. of 3-5 for $6-$12, and who does not like a fresh white T?
  • Package of socks - anyone who is on their feet for a full work shift (retail, food service) knows how it feels to take off their socks at the end of the day/night. The homeless don't often to get to start fresh, they will really appreciate clean socks. Can usually be found during holiday times in qty's. up to 15 for $7-$10.
  • Package of tank tops - Many weeks and months of wearing the same tops on the streets can end up torn and tattered quickly. Can be found in packs up to 10 for $8-$15
  • Hand warmers - I like to hand out a few of these with every pack of the above. a two or four pack can typically be found for under $2
  • Food gift cards - Someone who is honest to God hungry is less concerned with carb counts and saturated fats and is more concerned with calories for the dollar. I usually buy 3-5 cards from places like McDonalds, Burger King, taco Bell, Carl's Jr etc.. with $3 each
  • 1 pair of shoes - you can always find a pair under $20 and as low as $12 at outlet stores like Ross, TJ Max, Bells as well as dollar stores and of course Wal-mart

What I typically do is throw a mix mash into my shopping cart, like a couple packs of socks, shirts, tank tops, and a dozen or so and warmers and an equal number of $3 food cards from when I am out and about. I tape an equal number of warmers to each package, throw them in my backpack, hop on my bike and ride to where I remember seeing some less fortunate individuals. I'll offer them a choice of one package of their picking, and also let them choose one of the food cards. I am getting another quarterly bonus in excess of $300 from Wal-Mart as an hourly worker, So I will be taking $50 from this bonus and putting it into my charity budget. I'll do like ten dollars a check until the black Friday sales and then go shopping for this merchandise when the deals are best.

Imagine if everyone simply pitched in $50-100 a season which can go towards helping up to ten people less fortunate. A lot of the homeless would actually have hope as long as we speak with them positively and do good gestures like this as individuals.

Ill do another list later on how to incorporate gift cards and actual products for each family and friend as well. I just feel that other people can take note of this tradition I have enjoyed since I was around 20 and maybe get inspired to share their own holiday traditions they like to do as individuals or with their church for others in need.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I'm throwing this in here...perhaps inappropriate...but this too can be a gift for the Christians celebrating, and it's something...a 21st century christian should really try.

Just imagine...you and wifey...you got tired of each other somewhat...after years of doing missionary positions...you start to feel as if...something is missing.

aaaaand presto magico...voila !!!!

Christian swingers

Let'em rip...

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

Pfffhahaha!

holy crap dude...

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
CHRISTMAS ALREADY???

Sheesh... i have not even stopped using my Summer BBQ yet... you have got me all depressed now!

luckily Mario came out with a half decent proposition!
but sadly this does not concern me as i am a sinner....

Warmest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
honestly I only wrote the title the way I did to draw people in since its an off topic discussion and kind of involves religion and faith. I am just throwing it out there now so people have some ideas come Christmas time. I not exactly a Christian as my beliefs are of a more mystic/pagan nature, but I sure do love the idea of Christian swingers.

I can almost guarantee that websites primary client base are the very vocal evangelical right wingers themselves who preach eternal hellfire and damnation by day, and trade partners by night

I don't want to lose sight of the nice things we can do for strangers in need though, as I do these things every year and it has nothing to do with a since of purpose with or for Jesus I just do it because I can and its the right thing to do for your community.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes

• Food gift cards - Someone who is honest to God hungry is less concerned with carb counts and saturated fats and is more concerned with calories for the dollar. I usually buy 3-5 cards from places like McDonalds, Burger King, taco Bell, Carl's Jr etc.. with $3 each

• While I really like the list you have constructed here. I do have to ask, even if the hungry isnt concerned with carbs and saturated fats shouldn't u be? I get the thought and the sentiment but giving these types of food isnt going to really help them and will end up costing the rest of us in medical costs in the long run. Not trying to be mean here just pointing out it may be a better idea to just donate to a soup kitchen or your local pantry where it has a bigger positive impact albeit a less direct one.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:25 AM
    link   
    ask the man or woman your giving money to go buy food with. Better yet, tell them exactly what you told me, and see if they will turn it down. Not all them are anywhere near a facility they can get to. It is not good enough to pay other people and hope they can help them, we must bring ourselves directly into contact with these individuals and hear their stories. They still have a life of experience behind their years, and maybe hearing it will build a little sympathy.

So the food cards stand Bloomberg! The homeless are still people who feel hunger. Giving the choice of walking 1 block to a mcdonalds for a hot meal, or finding money for the bus or a taxi and getting downtown for a hot meal, anybody would pick the quick walk across the street, myself included.

Try not to be disconnected from people in need because you can afford to eat the perfect diet.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 03:28 AM
    link   
    Oh this sounds fun!

I found an app, I think using it can help me follow this type of list.

www.wish.com...=55b343dbdc7fbc4080989147 found 10 pairs of socks for $5 . Anything solar is good for them too.

Amazon vs. WM vs Wish

I dont know what else for now.

new topics

top topics

join