It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain Playing Video Poker During Senate Hearings on Syria

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
Obama... Kerry... McCain...

I'm seeing stupidity on both sides ... both republicans and democrats.
It's frightening ...

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riouz
Where does it state in the Senators Handbook that you have to listen ??
Or Since when do Senators Listen if its against their own agenda ???
John McCain made his statement and no matter what anybody in that room said he will give his vote to the president.

So why not play a bit of Texas Hold Em

Riouz

I think our nation went a couple hundred years with senators not playing some game on an iPhone. College students get their phones taken away if they are using them during class where, really, the most damage is to themselves. Senators are supposed to debate and weigh opinions when in session. Not be bull headed tools messing around with a bit of tech with the self control of a teeny bopper.

Try reading the Federalist Papers sometime.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Hmmmm out of the 85 articles in the The Federalist Papers I see no mention of

Not listening to other members of the senate

Or playing Poker on an electronic device maybe these The Federalist Papers need updating ??

Riouz

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Riouz

It is a misfortune incident to republican government, though in a less degree than to other governments, that those who administer it may forget their obligations to their constituents, and prove unfaithful to their important trust. Federalist #62

The necessity of a senate is not less indicated by the propensity of all single and numerous assemblies to yield to the impulse of sudden and violent passions, and to be seduced by factious leaders into intemperate and pernicious resolutions. Federalist #62

Federalist #62: www.thefederalistpapers.org...

What has not America lost by her want of character with foreign nations; and how many errors and follies would she not have avoided, if the justice and propriety of her measures had, in every instance, been previously tried by the light in which they would probably appear to the unbiased part of mankind? Federalist #63

Federalist #63: www.thefederalistpapers.org...

And from your "Senator's handbook":

Madison clearly recognized the need for a smaller, more deliberative body in the legislative branch to cool the passions and control the urges of democratic masses.

www.senate.gov...

Senators are intended to be deliberative, listening to all points of view, including that of foreign nations. You didn't look hard enough.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Laughable that people are trying to defend McCain.

He's clearly already made his mind up and couldn't give a toss about the hearings. For him to just brush it off with a joke is even more infuriating.

Here's one for you McCain you old b*****d

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Not 1 of those three articles say

You must LISTEN to other members in a Hearing of the senate. [ unless I cannot read and understand English]

Again not one of those articles you quote say no use of electronic poker games whilst in a hearing of the senate ,,

Unless you are reading something else into those articles you have posted ..

Riouz

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Riouz

Don't be daft. You're engaging in a fallacy when you say that the Federalist Papers say nothing about video poker. Your argument fails in the fact that the technology did not exist at the time to have had any mention within the papers, themselves.

Definition of deliberate verb: to think or talk seriously and carefully about something:
dictionary.cambridge.org...

If one is at an important meeting at work and it is discovered that they are playing videopoker or even checking facebook during the course of the meeting, the general rule is reprimand and/or termination if the practice continues because one isn't 100% "there" during the course of that meeting. If it is a rule in the workplace where decisions don't necessarily equate to the loss of life and limb, then it's absolutely true when discussing the possibility of a military strike in a foreign country that could bring us to war.

I'm done with your fallacies.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice
reply to post by Riouz

Don't be daft. You're engaging in a fallacy when you say that the Federalist Papers say nothing about video poker. Your argument fails in the fact that the technology did not exist at the time to have had any mention within the papers, themselves.

Definition of deliberate verb: to think or talk seriously and carefully about something:
dictionary.cambridge.org...

If one is at an important meeting at work and it is discovered that they are playing videopoker or even checking facebook during the course of the meeting, the general rule is reprimand and/or termination if the practice continues because one isn't 100% "there" during the course of that meeting. If it is a rule in the workplace where decisions don't necessarily equate to the loss of life and limb, then it's absolutely true when discussing the possibility of a military strike in a foreign country that could bring us to war.

I'm done with your fallacies.

Ok to Address your first Point Yes I know there is nothing in there to address Poker games it was said in jest , but lets be Realistic here .

This was a Hearing where each member had to make a Statement and ask a few Questions to Mr Kerry and the panel, not an open discussion amongst Senators.
He already has made his mind up that he will vote for military action on Syria and supports the POTUS.
Now if he has 2 hrs to sit until the end of the session ,what is really wrong with playing with his phone ,is he been disrespectful to the other members, I suggest you ask them ,now I bet this gos on a lot in hearing meetings where all you are required to do is wait your turn to make a statement.
However I seriously doubt if it was a serious meeting ,that you would be able to take mobile phones into it

Now please understand that this was a hearing nothing more nothing less

No fallacies here just the plain truth of the matter

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Riouz

hear·ing
[heer-ing] Show IPA
noun
1. the faculty or sense by which sound is perceived.
2. the act of perceiving sound.
3, opportunity to be heard: to grant a hearing.
4. an instance or a session in which testimony and arguments are presented, especially before an official, as a judge in a lawsuit.
5. a preliminary examination of the basic evidence and charges by a magistrate to determine whether criminal procedures, a trial, etc., are justified.

#4 and #5 would apply here as a hearing is generally a presentation of evidence, arguments for and against, an evaluation of that evidence including rebuttals, and then a decision being made. So no, it wasn't just state one's piece and then play video poker. The committee was to vote on the matter after deliberation of the information provided by all parties within the hearing. Again, the Senate is supposed to be objective and deliberative. Saw very little of that in any of them yesterday but at least most had the dignity of not playing video poker during the proceedings.

Thanks for knocking off the b.s. This time, you had a better argument.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join