It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all bakers! Need ideas on what to do with these ingredients.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I am not into baking. I don't find it as challenging and you tend to have to follow the recipe or steps to a T or you could seriously mess it up. Well I don't like to measure or follow steps lol and with baking i can't eat an entire pie or batch of cookies unless they are PB then I just don't care. I am more into making meals and side dishes but I'm trying to expand my cooking skills and learn some baking.

Now I have boxes and I mean boxes of Cheerios, Corn Chex, Kix and Special K. I don't eat as much cereal like I did while pregnant so I don't know what to do with these boxes. I know there has got to be something I could make with them. Maybe a breakfast bar of sorts or chex mix?

So any ideas on what to do with all this cereal? I do have baking ingredients like chocolate chips, nuts and crisco plus many other ingredients.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

“Bits and Bites”
•1 med. box Cheerios (4 c.)
• 1 med. box Shreddies or Wheat Chex (5 c.)
• 1 med. box Rice Chex (4 c.)
• 1 large pkg. small Salted Pretzels (2 c.)
• 1 small Box cheese stix (1 c.)
• 1 lb. Margarine (1/2 lb.)
• 6-7 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce (3Tbs + 1 tsp.)
• 1 1/2 Tbs. Garlic Powder (2 tsp.)
• 1 1/2 Tbs. Onion Powder (2 tsp.)
• 1/2 Tbs. Celery Salt (1 tsp.)
• 2 Tbs. Seasoning Salt (3 tsp.)

Preheat oven to 250F.
Mix the cereals, pretzels and cheese stix together in a very large bowl or pot.
Melt the margarine in a pot on fairly low heat.
Add in the Worcestershire and seasonings and mix well. Put about 1/2 the cereal mix in a large roasting pan and spread with half the sauce. Cover with the rest of the cereal mixture and then spread the rest of the sauce over. Mix well!
Put uncovered in the oven. STIR EVERY 15 MINUTES! Bake for at least 1 hour. Should be done but test for taste and crispiness. Will crispen even more when cold (if it hasn’t been eaten by then!).

Hi,
Homemade Bits & Bites was the first thing that came to mind, lol.
You can also use Special K to make Rice Crispy treats (google for recipes)
Hope that helps!
jacygirl

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I don't know the exact ratio of ingredients but... I always shoot from the hip anyways.

Special K
Marshmallows or marshmallow fluff
butter
wax paper

Mix all ingredients together on the stove top under low heat, stirring and folding constantly for a few minutes until you've received the desired consistency.
Once you think you've got it to where you want it, glop big spoonfuls down on the wax paper to cool off.

My cousins wife makes these at Christmas time but she adds green food coloring to one batch and red food coloring to the next batch.

@Jacy, that sounds sooo good. mmmmm
edit on 4-9-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Oh this sounds perfect and yummy!!

Thanks a lot! The only thing I need are the cheese sticks.

By shreddies are you talking about shredded wheat like frosted mini wheats?

I didn't even think of making Special K rice crispy treats. I'm not a fan of the traditional ones but with Special K I would be. I love Special K!

Thanks for your recipe!!

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Perfect! I love marshmallow fluff!!

I am adding these to my list of items to try.

I'll have to make them for Christmas and use the food coloring idea. My mom bakes every year for the holiday's. She starts in October and makes all kinds of cookies and scones and anything that would be sold in a bakery. lol Now that I am back in the area I will probably be cooking with her this year which will help with my baking. She makes food baskets or tins for people as gifts for the holidays. I get one every year and now this year I can make them for friends and family. I will add this to her list of recipes. I'm sure she will like it as well since she too likes Special K.

Thanks for your recipe!!

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Hey, you are so welcome! My pleasure.
The above link shows you a pic of the Shreddies that we get here in Canada. In Bits & Bites, or Nuts & Bolts snacks they are seasoned and added to the mix. You don't have to make it exact...that's the beauty.
You can add nuts...pretzels...or leave things out that you don't have. My family used to love the home-made ones (cuz they were different every time, lol).
There are also a whole ton of different recipes based on the original Rice Crispy squares, so you can get creative there too!
Happy baking!
jacygirl

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Ah ok. They kind of look like Rice Chex or Corn Chex. I can order these on Amazon possibly. Oh how I love Amazon for things like this. I can usually find food that isn't sold here in the US on there. I will check and see if they carry them and if not I have a few other sites I can check or my friend in Canada can send me some.

Do you bake a lot?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Sadly I don't bake much since the kids grew up and left home. When they were younger I used to do home daycare, and was baking all the time.
The most fun was Christmas time....a bunch of us stay-at-home moms would do a 'cookie exchange' every year. If there were 8 of us involved, each of us would bake 8 dozen of one kind of cookie or square...then we would all get together and trade....so each of us left with 8 dozen different kinds of treats.
Then, when company came over....we could put out plates with multiple goodies, but we only had to buy ingredients to make our one particular cookie/square.
Sounds so old fashioned now, but I really miss those days.
jacygirl

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
All the above recipes sound delicious by the way!!

I pulverize my extra cereal and even crackers and use it as breading for chicken. Sometimes even as "extender" for meatloaf, meatballs etc.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

You have the perfect makings for homemade granola. Rather than adding sugar, try honey.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

drwill

You have the perfect makings for homemade granola. Rather than adding sugar, try honey.

I love granola. How would I make it? I don't bake and have never made granola.

What kind of honey? I went to buy honey once and there were sooo many choices i Didnt' know what to get so I passed on it. lol

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   

this is a good breakfast, i am learning baking now.

edit on Aug 5th 2019 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
add coconut to the marshmallow one for extra yummy taste

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Use the cereal as slop for a pig then you will have a nice suckling pig to butcher out and then you can use it to cook the things you like to cook instead of making dessert's.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

ballymoney50
add coconut to the marshmallow one for extra yummy taste

Ohhh I love coconut!!

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

shells4u

Use the cereal as slop for a pig then you will have a nice suckling pig to butcher out and then you can use it to cook the things you like to cook instead of making dessert's.

LOL Ok.....

But I don't like pork unless it's bacon

Also desserts....mmmmmmmmm

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

jacygirl

“Bits and Bites”
•1 med. box Cheerios (4 c.)
• 1 med. box Shreddies or Wheat Chex (5 c.)
• 1 med. box Rice Chex (4 c.)
• 1 large pkg. small Salted Pretzels (2 c.)
• 1 small Box cheese stix (1 c.)
• 1 lb. Margarine (1/2 lb.)
• 6-7 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce (3Tbs + 1 tsp.)
• 1 1/2 Tbs. Garlic Powder (2 tsp.)
• 1 1/2 Tbs. Onion Powder (2 tsp.)
• 1/2 Tbs. Celery Salt (1 tsp.)
• 2 Tbs. Seasoning Salt (3 tsp.)

Preheat oven to 250F.
Mix the cereals, pretzels and cheese stix together in a very large bowl or pot.
Melt the margarine in a pot on fairly low heat.
Add in the Worcestershire and seasonings and mix well. Put about 1/2 the cereal mix in a large roasting pan and spread with half the sauce. Cover with the rest of the cereal mixture and then spread the rest of the sauce over. Mix well!
Put uncovered in the oven. STIR EVERY 15 MINUTES! Bake for at least 1 hour. Should be done but test for taste and crispiness. Will crispen even more when cold (if it hasn’t been eaten by then!).

Hi,
Homemade Bits & Bites was the first thing that came to mind, lol.
You can also use Special K to make Rice Crispy treats (google for recipes)
Hope that helps!
jacygirl

Sounds AMAZING! And very close to something like my mom would make during the holidays.

top topics

join