It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Classic Westerns. Suggestions please.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The war wagon.

For a minute there I thought you were going to draw on me.

For a minute there, I was.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Pale Rider perhaps?

Dances with Wolves if you wanted the native slant.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Haven't seen it listed so ....

The Wild Bunch..
www.imdb.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Lonesome Dove (the best) and its sequels/prequels.

And you should also watch Into the West. EPIC TV miniseries. Not as good as Lonesome Dove, but close.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Little Big Man
Young Guns (1 and 2)
Will Penny
The Naked Spur
The Professionals
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Open Range
Ulzana’s Raid
A Man Called Horse
Ride the High Country
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Geronimo

edit on 4-9-2013 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Going South with Jack Nicholson.

The Missouri Breaks with Marlon Brando, Randy Quaid and Jack Nicholson.

Cat Ballou

All three have a comedic air to them. Good stuff.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

A few days ago I watched The Shootist, where John Wayne stars against Lauren Bacall. She was still looking good for someone her age, and I thought back to earlier movies I'd seen her in, and suddenly realised:
The old guy who says "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" in her first movie, To Have And Have Not, is the same actor who played the part of the limping deputy in Rio Bravo, and the chuck wagon guy in Red River.
And then I realised:
The movies I just mentioned were all directed by Howard Hawks.

So... "what else has Howard Hawks done?", I asked myself, and a quick search came up with The Big Sleep, that I'd already seen.

That Humphrey Bogart guy is a good actor, I said to myself, and resolved to watch another of his movies. I chose The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

So yes, I saw that about 3 days ago. I'd seen it before, but its well worth watching a second time. Years from now, I'll probably watch it again.

Today, I watched Once Upon a Time in the West. And now I'll go watch The Magnificent Seven. Speaking of Yul Brynner, I heard on the radio yesterday that director JJ Abrahms and HBO are going to remake Westworld into a TV series!!

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
A few people mentioned Lonesome Dove, and it gets good reviews elsewhere, so over the last day or two I sat though it.

Mostly, I was bored to death.

Not enough actually happens. Way too much of it is people travelling from A to B, or just sitting around talking crap. At the end of the 3rd (out of 4) episodes, what little story there was had finished, and the whole last hour and a half was simply taking the body back to Lonesome Dove.

Sorry guys, this TV series just didnt work for me.

Having said that, I fully understand this:

Won Golden Globe Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for TV
Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for TV
Robert Duvall

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I think we missed Highplains Drifter.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Check out Duel in the sun, Yellow sky, One eyed jacks, and Open Range. I love old westerns, and have recently been watching the old series High chaparral, which you can find on youtube.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by darkwingduck

You may also like the HBO series Deadwood. One of my favorites, although I am still pissed they didn't finish it...

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Joe Kidd Movie Trailer

In John Sturges' Americanized version of Sergio Leone's Man-With-No-Name films, Clint Eastwood is Joe Kidd, a cryptic stranger who arrives in the New Mexican town of Sinola, where Mexican bandito/revolutionary Luis Chama (John Saxon) has organized a peasant revolt against the local landowners, who are throwing the poor off land that rightfully belongs to them. When a posse -- financed by wealthy landowner Frank Harlan (Robert Duvall) -- is formed to capture Luis, Kidd is invited to join but prefers to remain neutral. Harlan keeps badgering Kidd to join up, and Kidd finally relents when he finds that Luis's band has raided his own ranch and one of his ranch hands has been injured. The bloodthirsty posse rounds up five Mexicans hostages and threaten to kill them unless Luis surrenders to them. One of the hostages is the attractive Stella Garcia (Helen Sanchez), and Kidd falls in love with her. Harlan notices this and throws Kidd in jail to prevent him from helping Stella and the Mexicans. Kidd decides the position himself as the voice of reason in this nest of disorder. He escapes and saves the Mexican hostages, determined to capture Luis himself and see that he gets a fair trial. But when Kidd captures Luis and delivers him to Sheriff Mitchell (Gregory Walcott), Harlan is in town waiting for him.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Some people may not know that Lonesome Dove is based on real life cattle ranchers Charles Goodnight and Oliver Loving. Many of the situations in the movie happened to the real men, who blazed the famous Goodnight-Loving Trail.

The Goodnight Loving Trail began at Fort Belknap (Texas), along part of the former route of the Butterfield Overland Mail, traveling through central Texas across the Staked Plains to Horsehead Crossing, north along the Pecos River and across Pope's Crossing, into New Mexico to Fort Sumner. The trail then continued north into Colorado up to Denver and was extended on into Wyoming.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Anything with John Wayne in it. I'm glad someone mentioned "The War Wagon".

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Hey alfa1,

I forgot to put one up. It's weird: I thought of it when I first posted, but just could not quite make it to linking it for some reason. I don't know if anyone has suggested it yet, but this is my favorite western movie. My Dad took me to see it when I was way too young to probably be seeing it, and it scared the crap out of me. Not just the buffalo, but the movie's portrayal of the "Wild West" scared the # out of me at that age and really left an impression. The thing I like about it as an adult is the way that the director has the dialogue spiced with vernacular from the time that is fairly accurate, the setting is weird and unusual, the costumes are pretty damned good and it has Charlie Bronson in it...

The White Buffalo

Wild Bill Hickok is haunted by his dreams of a giant white buffalo. So much that he travels the West to find the beast. Along the way, Hickok meets Crazy Horse, who is also searching the plains for the giant white buffalo, who has killed Crazy Horse's daughter. Hickok and Crazy Horse team up to kill the elusive buffalo.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
One of my favorites....

One Eyed Jacks

www.youtube.com...

and not a classic by any stretch....but I had a bit part in this movie.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 15-9-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

blush... perhaps you think i m simple
but i enjoyed the old winnetou movies very much - with lex barker

yes i know they re the pregenitor of spaghetti westerns
...but they have some Honesty and cleanness i enjoy

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I was an extra in this one when I was a young man. A classic...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
That's cool that you had parts in those movies, olaru12.

If anyone wants to check out some non fiction about the American West, I highly recommend Ken Burns' The West. It is very entertaining documentary, as are all his films.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

TheComte
That's cool that you had parts in those movies, olaru12.

If anyone wants to check out some non fiction about the American West, I highly recommend Ken Burns' The West. It is very entertaining documentary, as are all his films.

Thanks...

Two contemporary westerns that are classics imo...

The Misfits....
www.youtube.com...

and

www.youtube.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join