It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wizard of Oz - timeline shift?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The Wizard of Oz is such an incredible\bizarre\eerie movie. I had a friend in college who was getting into cinematography, and he was heavily into that movie. He had a VHS tape of the Wizard of OZ which he recorded in the early 80s. He showed me a scene where I swear someone ran and hid behind a tree. It looked like it was probably a crew person that was trying to get out of the way of the filming. We watched it like 20 times. I have the movie on VHS and DVD, and that person can't be seen at all. It's so strange.What the hell?
Oddly enough, the 'running person' scene is just about 10-12 seconds before the 'giant bird' scene, where they're setting off into the forest.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Timeline shift like you're now in an alternate version of reality in which, at least, the movie is slightly different?

To be fair, if that was the case everyone here would say it's always been like that, since the way you remember it would be a different reality than we are from...we're natives to his crazy, mixed up reality in which the guy hangs himself in a different part of the movie

edit on 4-9-2013 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I remember Several midgets hanging themselves in the background in various scenes in that movie I've noted some movies have also changed commonly the sixth sense movies, the omen, the cell, black and white movies that I've seen before are now different, most horror movies have changed some books too! even some other things like the number of princess dianna's sons where I originally come from she had three (3) sons! Harry, William and Phillipe! named after his uncle prince Phillip weird
now she only has two!

ATS has gone weird again!
is cool
is puz:
edit on 5/9/13 by fr33kSh0w2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bybyots
Hmmm, pretty creepy.

this is a hoax video imo. Yes the rumor of the munchkin hanging himself was nothing but as loose pheasant or goose, which can be seen clearly on other videos, if you search you-tube long enough. There's a video that debunked this, because the person who made this didn't edit the bird out completely. But I'm too tired and really don't care enough to look for it. But that's how I remeber figuring out this video was fake when I did research it a couple years ago.

Anyway for the OP'er. I've been watching the Wizard of Oz since the late 70's early 80's, and I've watched it entirely probably 25 times. First saw it on Beta Max, and this is the scene I always remember it being in. But it was always just unclear as to what it was going on, as it only lasted for a couple seconds.

edit on 5-9-2013 by Nola213 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
(face-palm)

It's show biz. There's editing, various cuts, promotional releases, re-releases...

at any point prior to a release there would have been more editing and post production. There have been several re-releases over the decades for various reasons.

If an image of a hanging corpse was left in the movie it was probably intentionally placed there. Artists do it all the time; hiding one image within another, creating an image from other imagery, subtle use of strong imagery, etc. They also love to manipulate the viewer's perception, or psyche as the case may be... especially in creepy-ass Hollywood.

There was a children's version released, which probably would have been edited to remove anything resembling dead little folk swinging from a noose, real or not.

The only mystery here is how this movie remains so popular...

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlackOps
(face-palm)

It's show biz. There's editing, various cuts, promotional releases, re-releases...

at any point prior to a release there would have been more editing and post production. There have been several re-releases over the decades for various reasons.

If an image of a hanging corpse was left in the movie it was probably intentionally placed there. Artists do it all the time; hiding one image within another, creating an image from other imagery, subtle use of strong imagery, etc. They also love to manipulate the viewer's perception, or psyche as the case may be... especially in creepy-ass Hollywood.

There was a children's version released, which probably would have been edited to remove anything resembling dead little folk swinging from a noose, real or not.

The only mystery here is how this movie remains so popular...

Because no other movie/book is a better allegory for the Populist Movement in the early 1900's as well as the gold and silver standard vs fiat currency monetary system.

economics.rutgers.edu...

In the book, it originally wasn't the yellow brick road-it was the golden brick road. The movie changed it to yellow.

Dorothy represented America. Innocent young and naive.
Scare Crow represented American farmers. They were thought of as ignorant, no brains, but had a kind heart.
Tin Man represented industry. But the industrial movement was considered unemotional and inconsiderate of the workers, hence no heart.
Cowardly Lion represented Grover Cleveland.
The Wizard represented the Central Bank, or what we now call the Federal Reserve.
The Munchkins represented what today we refer to as the useful idiots.

I would have thought everyone on ATS would have known this about TWOZ. Maybe it needs its own thread, I thought it was common knowledge people learned in 8th grade; I was shocked to read through the thread and not see it brought up.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I don't think the Hanging Munchkin video that has been popularized and "debunked" on the internet is the original hanging munchkin.

Not the best quality, but near the top left, just above and to the right of the chariot driver wearing the black top hat, you can see the dangling munchkin swinging back and forth.
edit on 5-9-2013 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I too remember reading about the "hanged man" when I was younger and I do remember it being around the scene of the trees throwing apples. Seen it on youtube a few times in the past.

From what I read, the person hanging themself done so during production and they never saw it on film until editing. By then it was to late and much to expensive to re-shoot the scene, so it was left in there.

I'll have to see if what you said is true about it not being in the apple throwing scene, because that's where I remember seeing it.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GenerationGap
Because no other movie/book is a better allegory for the Populist Movement in the early 1900's as well as the gold and silver standard vs fiat currency monetary system.

economics.rutgers.edu...

In the book, it originally wasn't the yellow brick road-it was the golden brick road. The movie changed it to yellow.

Dorothy represented America. Innocent young and naive.
Scare Crow represented American farmers. They were thought of as ignorant, no brains, but had a kind heart.
Tin Man represented industry. But the industrial movement was considered unemotional and inconsiderate of the workers, hence no heart.
Cowardly Lion represented Grover Cleveland.
The Wizard represented the Central Bank, or what we now call the Federal Reserve.
The Munchkins represented what today we refer to as the useful idiots.

I would have thought everyone on ATS would have known this about TWOZ. Maybe it needs its own thread, I thought it was common knowledge people learned in 8th grade; I was shocked to read through the thread and not see it brought up.

Very interesting, especially the gold/silver angle...you know in the book the 'magical' slippers were silver! They changed them to ruby for the movie, so they would show up better in technicolor...

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Tanzabonanza

Hi,

This is fairly much known as an urban myth, there's actually nothing that I'm aware of to show it was actually acknowledged at all anywhere until an anniversary release decades after the film was first shown. The link below gives some further background, but there is plenty more to be found via google.

www.snopes.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I remember a big bird.
Oh .. I"m looking for that crucifix but can't see it.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Oddly enough I researched this as a kid when some weird list of 20 movie mysteries came out. I remember dorthy and tin man together but most of all I remember it looked like a large bird of some kind raising his head and not someone hanging themselves. To me it seemed obvious it was that but I havent watched in so long..but yes I thought it was only dorthy and tin man too.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Slightly crazy well I think I am in the same line somewhere, Possibly you have slipped into an alternate self and your alternate self is thinking exactly the same think but in reverse sequence.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Bybyots
Hmmm, pretty creepy.

Very creepy indeed.. yikes, and off they go skipping merrily along..

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
The poppies and snow is an obvious heroin/coke reference... I'm wondering if you watched the movie so many times did you ever bother reading the book? You didn't mention it and I just found that odd for someone who claims to be such a huge fan.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilverStarGazer
The poppies and snow is an obvious heroin/coke reference... I'm wondering if you watched the movie so many times did you ever bother reading the book? You didn't mention it and I just found that odd for someone who claims to be such a huge fan.

You can be HUGE fan of the movie and never once pick up the book! They are very different and although I love both forms of media I have a special fondness for the movie myself.

Every year on or around my birthday growing up it would be on the air. I used to think it was a special treat!

Anyway I was given the books as a kid, which I love dearly as well. But because of the Birthday connection it is bit more significant to me.

OP: I have seen it probably not as many times as you but at least once a year for 30+ years
I remember the huge cranes and seeing them hiding all around. I wonder if what you see or think you see is more significant? Glass half empty or half full?

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I remember a big bird.
Oh .. I"m looking for that crucifix but can't see it.

This film was of a period in time wherein (unbeknownst to the actors) all things could be manipulated and put forth subliminally. Walt Disney understood this and with his cartoon feature films did the best he could to countermand it (Freemason). There exists a book called "Trance-formation of America" (the true story of a CIA Slave) by Cathy O'Brien/Mark Phillips wherein The Wizard of OZ was indoctrinated over and over again as a child, also Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland...The point? as an adult, she could be cued just by being shown an hourglass turned upsidedown (her story is an ugly one of pediphelia perpetrated by some of our nations finest) Beyond that, these movies are paradigm changers. I can name a few more--"Jason and the Argonauts", "Seven Faces of Dr. Lao", "Bambi", "BenHur", "Ulysees". These are blatent attempts to reformat human thought and awareness through subliminal messaging. It does not surprise me the newer versions of the Wizard of Oz may change to suit the newer generations. If you were to look at the symbiology of that movie scene by scene and instead of seeing (percieving a storyline) a script it will become clear to you the underlying intent beyond its popcorn/movie ticket value. It is truely one of the most EVIL movies of all time; and it was no accidental MGM "hey we may have a blockbuster here" moment.
edit on 7-9-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by GenerationGap

Great insight, but there is so much more to know about this film and intentions; still to this day has impact, its not the innocence you percieve its what you are not seeing. THIS IS ONE OF THE GREATEST FEAR movies EVER made, diabolical in that it references children (geared toward). One other (my #2) "The Exorcist" is right up there; made for the adult to make chaos of its belief systems.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilverStarGazer

Actually its an Opium reference, this was the drug of choice amongst the elite in that time period USA, the 30s and interestingly can NOW be referenced (in this time period to coke and heroin). This movie just keeps on giving.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GenerationGap

I understand the metaphor.

Yeah, it's a great story.

The movie is just so damn... campy.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join