It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISON-The Elephant In The Room

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Well thanks for the positive replies!
& phage as much as I admire your work, what you don't know would fill a stadium!

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

We could agree on most of your past post, apart from stubborness and arrogance being conducive to productive conversations. I can't understand why you would think that's ok, but hey...back on topic.

Of course it's ok to plan for things we haven't experienced yet...good idea really. The Janet thing is maybe being made too much of here, and was really just a point of conversation over what some people took from her address...we might be wrong, and that's fine. The wider point seems to be why is Ison, a *possible* incoming comet, not being discussed more fully, but at the same time we're picking up on *potential* hints and little snippets of information about disaster prepping...which may or may not mean something...we're just trying to put bits together here. I'm curious, that's all. It's a speculative thread.

I'm still hurt that you inferred I was spouting nonsense, by the way.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by CONEDESTROYA

I couldn't agree more.
What would the things you don't know fill?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Comet ISON will just gently fly the Earth. That is all. Nothing more will happen. I saw Comet Hailey(1985?), and whatever comet was flying by in 1997. I was at spring break at the time...

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

The wider point seems to be why is Ison, a *possible* incoming comet, not being discussed more fully,
It is a comet and it is incoming (toward the Sun, that is). What more discussion do you want? What discussion was there about Halley (except the nutty stuff)? What discussion was there about Hale-Bopp (except the nutty stuff)? What discussion was there about Elenin (except the nutty stuff)?

To me the "wider point" would be, why do people keep repeating the same superstitious nonsense that goes back beyond the middle ages?

It's a comet. There have been thousands of comets and there will be thousands more. It's not going to get close to Earth. It is not going to affect Earth. Someday one probably will. But not this one and not one we know about.

I'm still hurt that you inferred I was spouting nonsense, by the way.
I'm sorry (really). I wasn't referring to you. But you did do it after I said that...when you started talking about Napolitano's "exact words". That was nonsense.

edit on 9/4/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Sure.
But not about a comet. Leave superstition behind.

On what grounds do you know this to be superstition,...

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It was a mistake...not nonsense...and I'm fine with mistakes. If I've made them, I'll admit to them. There really is no need at all to be so rude in your choice of words. Otherwise, apology accepted.

On the subject of nutty stuff, as you charmingly call it...sometimes, nutty stuff is where the good stuff starts. Many new ideas are challenged as nutty shortly before being accepted as fact. (and no, I'm not in the mood to summon up some examples for you..
)

This is a speculative thread...if you don't want to speculate, then don't post.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

On the same grounds that I know it is superstition that a black cat crossing my path is bad luck.
On the same grounds that I know it is superstition that breaking a mirror will bring seven years of bad luck.
On the same grounds that I know it is superstition that Friday the thirteenth is an unlucky day.
On the same grounds that I know it is superstition that toads cause warts.

Want more? I can go on.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   

This is a speculative thread...if you don't want to speculate, then don't post.

Well, you got me there... Did it start in Skunk Works?
But you're not going to keep me from posting facts.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   

In addition to Janet Napolitano's remarks, people are quoting these remarks made by Congresswoman Yvette Clarke (D-NY), Senior Member House Homeland Security Committee at the Electronic Infrastructure Security Summit in 2011.

“The likelihood of a
geomagnetic event capable
of crippling our electric
grid is one hundred
percent.”

Congresswoman Yvette Clarke
Senior Member House Homeland Security Committee
Electronic Infrastructure Security Summit
Washington DC
April 11-12, 2011
The Capitol Building, US Congress,
and the Fairmont, Washington D.C

Congresswoman Yvette Clarke opened the second session of the summit, covering a wide range of subjects in her comments. A Co-Chair of the EIS Summit, she began her remarks with a reference to last-year's Congressional Hearings on these threats. As then-chair of the Subcommittee on Emerging Threats, Cyber Security, Science and Technology (Homeland Security Committee), Rep. Clarke recalled that “members of the committee, particularly Mr. Lungren and I, were very alarmed by what the witnesses told us; we as a nation have virtually no protection of our electric grid against electromagnetic threats, and very little against cyber attacks.” “Protecting the electric grid from EMP,” she continued, “will require the best efforts of both government and industry.” “The likelihood of a geomagnetic event capable of crippling our electric grid is one hundred percent,” Congresswoman Clarke explained.

ELECTRIC INFRASTRUCTURE
SECURITY SUMMIT

Washington DC
April 11-12, 2011
The Capitol Building, US Congress,
and the Fairmont, Washington D.C

www.eissummit.com...
page 8

Perhaps her remarks regarding a crippling global geomagnetic event, taken with Napolitano's remarks, have made for some of the speculation we see across the internet.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Can you provide evidence for this? Where are the musuem pieces located?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Yeah, you see..it's remarks like that, that really make me curious about what they know...how can they be 100% certain about geomagnetic anything? What is out here in everyday consciousness if you like, I'm sure is just a tiny part of what is known behind the scenes.

link   
reply to post by Phage

No it is not superstition.. I thought you as a scientist would know better. It is known as the Panspermia theory..

link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

I would agree with her to a certain extent.
There is the possibility of such an event occurring at any time. Next week. Next month. Next year.
There is also the probability that such an event will not occur for a hundred years or more. That's where the "certain extent" of my statement comes in. In two hundred years it isn't likely that we would be incapable of dealing with such an event.

I would disagree that there is a strong likelihood of an terroristic EMP attack having a nationwide affect. To accomplish that a missile deployed device would be required. Not impossible, but improbable.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   

I was referring to the fears of disaster.
I didn't see anything about panspermia in the OP or anywhere else in this thread. Did you?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

A Carrington-like event would do the trick.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
reply to post by Phage

A Carrington-like event would do the trick.

Possibly. But...next week, next month, next year...two hundred years. No way of knowing.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

I was referring to the fears of disaster.
I didn't see anything about panspermia in the OP or anywhere else in this thread. Did you?

Yes I did the OP talks about comets bringing plagues to earth... That is panspermia in nature..

Panspermia (Greek: πανσπερμία from πᾶς/πᾶν (pas/pan) "all" and σπέρμα (sperma) "seed") is the hypothesis that life exists throughout the Universe, distributed by meteoroids, asteroids, comets[1][2] and planetoids.[3]
Panspermia is the proposal that life forms that can survive the effects of space, such as extremophiles, become trapped in debris that is ejected into space after collisions between planets that harbor life and small Solar System bodies (SSSB). Some organisms may travel dormant for an extended amount of time before colliding randomly with other planets or intermingling with protoplanetary disks. If met with ideal conditions on a new planet's surfaces, the organisms become active and the process of evolution begins. Panspermia is not meant to address how life began, just the method that may cause its distribution in the universe.[4][5][6]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Yes I did the OP talks about comets bringing plagues to earth

Oh. Got it.
Except that in this case it destroys life. So I guess the OP was being very subtle.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Phage

Yes I did the OP talks about comets bringing plagues to earth

Oh. Got it.
Except that in this case it destroys life. So I guess the OP was being very subtle.

Most life destroys life.. You're just on the humans side. What about the poor comet bacteria that want to eat you?

I can't count the amount of death I have caused just to keep my body alive.

I would have to look at a more organized OP comparing disease outbreak and disasters to comet arrivals to know what I really think about it.

We will see soon enough. I just hope it's visible without a scope.
edit on 9/4/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join