It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Syria resolution would limit Obama to 90 days

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Oh crap! I was hoping Obama wouldn't get the approval he was seeking but by the looks of it he just may!

www.usatoday.com...

WASHINGTON--A new use-of-force resolution proposed in the Senate would set a 60-day deadline for military action in Syria, with one 30-day extension possible, according to a draft of the resolution.

.The proposal, drafted by Sens. Robert Menendez and Bob Corker, the chairman and ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, will also bar the involvement of U.S. ground forces in Syria, according to the draft resolution.

"Together we have pursued a course of action that gives the President the authority he needs to deploy force in response to the Assad regime's criminal use of chemical weapons against the Syrian people, while assuring that the authorization is narrow and focused, limited in time, and assures that the Armed Forces of the United States will not be deployed for combat operations in Syria," Menendez said in a statement.

The resolution could be voted on by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee as early as Wednesday.

Meanwhile, in the House, Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., and Gerald Connolly, D-Va., introduced a draft resolution that would limit the duration of President Obama's authority to 60 days.

It also specifically prohibits any American forces on the ground in Syria and restricts the president from repeating the use of force beyond the initial punitive strikes unless Obama certifies to Congress that the Syrian forces have repeated their use of chemical weapons;

I'm disappointed but not at all surprised that the US will intervene in Syria. Prohibit the use of boots on the ground? Maybe all those photos of service members not wanting to support Al Qaeda struck a chord? So that leaves what, air strikes? Does anyone really believe it will only last 90 days?

edit on 3-9-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Yeah , I Believe after 90 Days China will Cut our Credit Line Off, then we will have to settle this Fight with Rocks......

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Maybe all those photos of service members not wanting to support Al Qaeda struck a chord?

That was a proven propaganda hoax carried out by Syrias electronic army or some such thing.

www.theverge.com...

I thought we all knew that?
edit on 3-9-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

Proven by the American MSM? I'm aware the Marine website was hacked but that doesn't prove those photos were hoaxed, right?

If it was proven a hoax how come ATS hasn't moved this thread to the Hoax Bin? www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3-9-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
90 days?... with a 30 day extension?

I'm pretty sure we'd have leveled the place after 10 days if we felt like it.

90 days to push the world to the brink! sounds very Arch Duke ish to me.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Basically it means he can do what he wants, increase the scope of the operations if needed even introduce ground forces without appearing before congress again.
edit on 3-9-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I doubt that Americans serving in the army would contribute to anti-American propaganda.

-I understand your concern regarding the situation though.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

It wasn't only the Army, but all branches. If I was still in the USN I would probably do the same thing. Did you see my edit? If it's proven hoax then why hasn't ATS moved the thread to the Hoax Bin?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

If it's proven hoax then why hasn't ATS moved the thread to the Hoax Bin?

Good question

edit on 3-9-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

It took less than that to destroy Afghanistan and Iraq and kill thousands of citizens including children and even today the left over of the radiation if shown on the side effects of born babies.

But everything is peachy in Iraq and Afghanistan right? it will take generations for those countries to even be a resemblance of their former selves.

When other countries kill their citizens due to funding terrorism by nations with interest is call "criminal acts and crimes against humanity", but when the US kill the citizens of other countries is call a "Moral obligation".

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Please review existing law, the President has 60 days of executive control of the military, after that Congress must approve of either the budget to fund the action or declare war. This is not 'new', it is re-selling us something that we already owned. The entire thing is distracting us from something else, and that is what I'm anxious about.....they need a war, and none of the rhetoric is showing that this has any chance of being dealt with through any other means than force.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Maybe we should look at the bigger picture....

This sets a precedence. It would actually allow for military action, on a time table, to involve ourselves in anything we want.

Let me ask this question....... If the killing of innocent civilians is something we must militarily protect other nation's population from, why are we not all over the Congo? India? Darfur? China? North Korea?

The justification for military action does not hold water when you look at what is going on in other places that we have turned a blind eye to.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Agit8dChop
90 days?... with a 30 day extension?

I'm pretty sure we'd have leveled the place after 10 days if we felt like it.

90 days to push the world to the brink! sounds very Arch Duke ish to me.

After those 90 days the world will never be the same again.

Anybody else notice that the "Ask me anything" thread is getting all the attention right now? Distraction? The timing of a Area 51 thread at this time in comparison to what is happening on the world stage (including Japan.) Just thinking out loud.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Very good point...Why indeed!

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
So if they say "no boots on the ground" this means when Obama sees these chemical weapons are in the hands of hezbolla we do what?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
reply to post by Swills

I doubt that Americans serving in the army would contribute to anti-American propaganda.

-I understand your concern regarding the situation though.

Posting a pic with a note saying I didn't join to fight for Al Qaeda in a civil war in Syria is not anti American propaganda. It's pro American propaganda because it's reminding people that our military is supposed to be for national defense only. Not fighting in some foreign land against a military that never attacked America. It's time we told those nations over there to handle their own problems and leave America alone.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent008

I'd say that it's pretty stunning to see that the NSA stuff has been effectively drowned out by Syria but with good reason--how could it not? Kind of humorous, too, that the evidence being used to validate attacking Syria would most likely have been obtained from those very NSA programs. Well, humorous in a kind of sick to my stomach way...wonder if people will simply forget.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

"no boots on the ground in "Syria"!!! No ground forces in "Syria"!!! I hope they won't be anywhere else either!!

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
'Only' 90 days is 90 days too many. And we all know that throwing bombs for 'just' 90 days
won't end there. It'll be Obama going and saying the job isn't complete and we need more
time and more firepower.

This is freak'n stupid!!

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Lol did anyone hear how Kerry went berserk over the remark about Benghazi? LOL

new topics

<<   2 >>

join