It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First close up pictures of the T-50 (PAK-FA)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
At the recent MAKS airshow, for the first time, journalists were allowed fairly close access to the T-50 while it was on the ground. The aircraft was on the ground in the Zhukovsky flight test facility hangar. The aircraft is equipped with all aspect AESA, and L band radars.

age.lenta.ru...

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
smart looking plane. Thanks for the pics (as always)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Is that a forward-facing flap? I see it in the down position in your image. Other images it looks like it was moved straight, then at a slight downward angle.

Although a forward-facing flap would add significant maneuverability to the aircraft, I see the potential of it being ripped off at high speeds.

edit on 3-9-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Looks like 2nd generation stealth... does this have thrust vectoring?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

It is dropped because there is no hydraulic pressure to the aircraft. We used to see that a lot with leading edge slats, where as soon as the hydraulic pressure drops off there's nothing to hold them up and they fall. This is almost similar to when the Tomcats had the extendable portions on the intakes for when the wings were swept back. In all the pictures with power applied, they are retracted.

ETA: They're articulated LEX/control surfaces.
edit on 9/3/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by abe froman

It does. So far it's having a fairly successful test program with no real problems that I've heard of.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Beautiful bird. Is it just me or is the HUD rather large? Takes up the whole windscreen!

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

That's kind of the way things have been going lately. Either a helmet mounted display, which leads to issues of its own, or a really big HUD. The one on the Typhoon is pretty impressive too.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
Takes up the whole windscreen!

Pft. Who needs to look out the windscreen? That's what IFR is for.

**ETA**: In another generation or so, you won't even have windscreens. It will be all IFR and external, flush-mount cameras displayed on screens inside the cockpit. Some auto makers are doing away with external mirrors and using side-mounted cameras instead.

edit on 3-9-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
A beaut. I still think it needs more tail, TVC or no.

The pitch authority in some of the videos is impressive. Coming through the Cobra maneuver very rapidly. I'd guess the levcon is at least partially responsible for that.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Things

The PAK-FA isn't meant to go into service until 2016, so I don't see how it would relate to a Syrian war?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Good looking...avionics any good? I'm real curious about that sector of us or them....

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Beautiful bird...

The Russians do have a knack of designing some pretty good looking aeroplanes, I'll say that for them

(although they've made their fair share of mutts too!)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

CGI must be getting pretty good lately because I can't tell reality from CGI anymore, I know it's probably not CGI but my mind still screams "that's CGI!!!"

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I was looking at it to, she's a beauty. Very sci-fi, does the US have something similar to 5th generation stealth?
Something factual ( not talking Black budget ).

Also it looks a bit like the 5th generation stealth fighter from China.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

What is the purpose of that rather long bayonet on the nose?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
What does it do differently to all other types of pointy aircraft..

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The nose looks pretty similar to the F-35 imo... I'm excited about the leading edge flaps, it's good to see something a bit different on planes, it'll be interesting to see if it makes a big difference to the performance

reply to post by Thunderheart

I believe that the rod coming out of the nose is the pitot tube, used to measure the pressure difference & then calculate the velocity. They stick them there because that's where the airflow is least disrupted. I think. Don't quote me on this

<<   2 >>

join