It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is TIME?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Time is measured relative to a position of reference. If that reference point happens to be me or maybe you, then time is relative to that position. If you stand and watch a train go past at 100 miles per hour you will say that it was going very fast. Yet the persons inside will see things slower as all the mass is traveling at the same rate. Even you, when they look out the window will watch as you fade into the distance. But you will see hundreds of windows zip by at incredible speed.

Time is mathematical and it's rate of change can therefore be measured precisely. It is also rhythm and therefore somewhat mysterious. But all that being said, time is continual change, and we experience change all the time due to the continual expansion of the universe. And we are the fixed position by which that change is measured. Time for each of us is different.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Time is a mental construct that man uses to make sense of his environment.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
A program in our minds clocked on our star. And, in addition, a clip of the infinite roll of film, so an activity that is forever captured and exists forever at one "time" or another.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Time is a form of communication
Consciousness transcends any state
the can be perceived as matter

Matter communicates it's existence
through consciousness through time

Man is infinite
God is more than
infinite.

Any thoughts?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Time is to oversee past present and future.
The thread we spin will lead to an inevitable outcome.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Time is a social convention that basically measures the rhythm and motions of life. In the same way inches and meters are conventions to measure distance. Or money the social convention to measure wealth.

The clock, the ruler and money are all abstracts. They dont really mean anything in the world of nature, but are useful social conventions.
edit on 6-9-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

Time is a mental construct that man uses to make sense of his environment.

What would you call the fact your body ages?

Or the earth rotates and revolves?

Or an atom decays?

Or your parents had to have been born before you? What does that word before insinuate?

If there was no 'time', nothing would ever happen ever. Energy would not change, it would be a solid brick of unchanging, un moving, stuff. Because energy moves, and turns into different things, a word that was created to describe that activity, is 'time'. Its more then a man made mental construct.

Now, the second, and milli second, and minute etc. are man made concepts. These are the mathematically consistent nodes of measurement, which are placed over realities changes to fit different events into their different modes and rates of change.

Just as a foot, and inch, and centimeter arent actual absolute things in existence, would you then say distance doesnt exist, distance is a man made concept? No. Distance exists, we needed to exist consistent intervals to measure distance. Same as time.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Gday

6.22 am
Sydney

Have a good day

Riouz

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

Time is the school in which we learn that time is the fire in which we burn.

I love this poem.

On a more serious note: I think time may be a field. A gauge-bosonic field. If you look closely, you can see that anything which takes more time has more mass than those which cover less time. As if something is interacting with the particle's property. I think Einstein's E=MC2 could help solving the mystery... maybe time can be the result of other forces.

edit on 6-9-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Time is our way of understanding the rules of the galaxy. Its the thing that makes the now now and the past unchangeable and the future barely predictable. Its the realization that actions cant be undone because nature has its own laws and we just have to live and learn to adapt to them.

I love and truly believe in time its a fundamental that makes life and the world interesting.

Philosophically speaking Time is like the record everything and Time is movement of energy

No one can manipulate time, it can only be viewed differently but still only viewed.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by swanne

Time is not its own thing... it is not an entity unto itself. If we use your theory that time is a field, an actual something apart form energy/matter. It would follow that if we hypothetically took away all energy and matter from the universe, there would be an essence of pure time leftover... Just timing away. This is wrong in my very strong and most likely accurate opinion. Time is a quality of energy as a whole, and as parts interacting with other parts, as a whole. Time is; cause and effect.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
and to continue I think time is a living concept, possibly when Im feeling enlightened and believing in higher powers I think possibly this is the reason life might have come into existence, to observe such things that might not have occurred otherwise. What would a God understand of time without life to define it?

Other times I think time made life inevitable, when we see that basic organism are basically just a chemical reaction possible with the galaxies elements. Again then why is the galaxy limited to such elements and such physical laws, possibly the power of the big bang determined this from the outset. Possibly pre-ordained.

Not a great pub conversation but possibly an afterparty winner

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Not bad! Thanks for the suggestion

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

Time is another word for movement.
The appearance moves always presently.

Look at a watch with seconds on it and watch it change and move. Notice that the present remains.

Time is a concept that arises always presently.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint its more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... stuff. -The Doctor

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
The real time is always now but it seems as if one can project outside of now which produces the idea of 'another time'.
It then appears as if there might be something separate from you - there isn't.
edit on 7-9-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by swanne

Time is another word for movement.
The appearance moves always presently.

Exactly. Just take a look at any kinetic energy equation: if "time" was not presently, the energy of the velocity would go in the past or future... but it is clear that the energy is real-time.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
In all recipes for progressive development, Time is the one essential ingredient.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Euphony

Both you and Fromabove have got it right , in my view.

Another way of looking at it is to say Time is merely Movement in Space just as Space is Movement in Time.

What this means is simply that neither time nor space could exist without their common factor which is Movement (or Change, if you like)
edit on 27-9-2013 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Biigs
Time is an infinite number of instances in 3 dimensions of reality, stacked on each other, stretching into past history.

It is nothing more than another simple dimension, whose form is obfuscated by our narrow perception.

Funny how things present themselves...I have, for the past several days, been mulling over this very same topic.

I would disagree the form of time is obfuscated in any sense of the word.

Someone in the past was quite clearly able to distinguish night from day and extrapolate from this cycle the precise breakdown of seconds, minutes, hours, days, months, and years.

Further reading.

<< 1    3 >>

join