It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My old friend,died on me......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Well,my trusty old desktop computer finally broke down the other day. I switched it on and it had more beeps than a morse code operator going at full speed and wouldn't boot up at all.
I tried checking everything I could think of but to no avail.
I really just used it for the printer and not much else or checking the external hard drives that were fitted but it would cost more than it was worth to fix.
I use my laptop and iPad most of the time, but it was,bought and used before I had then so seems like an old friend that has died on me.
I have removed the sata hard drive plus memory and will make sure it is no use to anyone when it goes in the trash can in the sky.
Printer is now connected to my laptop and will,buy an external enclosure for the hard drive so can still use them I suppose.
Worked perfect last time I used it,but not everything lasts forever these days.
I remember the old days in dial up with the screeching sound we used to have and nodding off waiting for small files to load but that was a different PC I had then, how times have changed.
Anyone else had same,experience as myself in getting rid of what I call an old friend?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

I was gutted when my old desktop tower went boom. It first got me onto this internet thing. But it was online gaming what i could not believe. What? You can play golf with people from the other side of the world!!. And playing Call Of Duty was great haha. I feel your pain scotsdavy1. Rest in piece old friend

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

just buy a frame and put the mother board in it and put it on the wall with the years of it's life. That way people will think you're really crazy when they come visit

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Blummin heck Scots, you got me all sentimental and sad... i thought that the sheepdog on your avatar had popped his clogs!!!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
There is a big empty space where it used to be all those years. At one time I would have rushed to the repair shop but these days, it isn't worth the hassle or expense and unfortunately it has ended up in the bin. Rest in piece my old friend, you did me proud all these years......

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I have still my windows 95 computer. It has nostalgic value. I can even do dial up still on it. Webpages don't load properly. and its got 100 MB of hard drive and original version of Duke nukem.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Remember the old monitors that were huge and took up a lot of space? I have a 22inch flat screen monitor that I don't know what I can use for other than selling it. Any suggestions?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Use it for memories.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It might be the heat sink needs to be lubed up again.

I got a small packet of heat sink lube and reinstalled the CPU. I found it was overheating.

I used that machine another 4 years after that

JG

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

if the hard drive was any decent size, (storage wise I mean) then you can get a case on it and use it as an external hard drive, could be useful for bits n pieces, as you can format it, and use it for backups or keep whats on it already if you didnt save stuff from it, its not gone.... still I know how you feel I think most of us do when our first computer finally sends out a puff of smoke to signal, it just got its last belly ache... sad day

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by flipflop

It used to have a 1tb hard drive last year but I used that for back ups and replaced it with a 500 gig one. I was able to format it and put it in an external enclosure so at least it works ok. It's in the skip ready for uplift tomorrow minus all the important things like memory that I bought from Crucial a while go and also the 2 DVD drives that work ok.
Maybe one day I will get another but will not hold my breath as they are too bulky. Might have to sell the 22inch flat screen monitor which is a pity as it was really good and crisp images. At least I can still used the printer which is an all in one and works perfect with my laptop. Tried the hard drive with it and it works ok as well.
Still, these things happen but not a lot I can so bout it now.
Strangely enough, my micro wave broke down the day before as well! No luck lol

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1

It used to have a 1tb hard drive last year but I used that for back ups and replaced it with a 500 gig one. I was able to format it and put it in an external enclosure so at least it works ok. It's in the skip ready for uplift tomorrow minus all the important things like memory that I bought from Crucial a while go and also the 2 DVD drives that work ok.
Maybe one day I will get another but will not hold my breath as they are too bulky. Might have to sell the 22inch flat screen monitor which is a pity as it was really good and crisp images. At least I can still used the printer which is an all in one and works perfect with my laptop. Tried the hard drive with it and it works ok as well.
Still, these things happen but not a lot I can so bout it now.
Strangely enough, my micro wave broke down the day before as well! No luck lol

things tend to do that, I had similar, breakdowns, also microwave, washing machine, and dish washer, all in 8 days,,, life sometimes? relating to your monitor, you can connect it to laptop and use both screens, as in you can spread your image on laptop monitor so it takes up two screens,,, not that you may want that, but if you were looking at large image or floor plans or something like that,,,, anyway you seem all fixed up with drives etc ... good luck....

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Good idea with the monitor,never thought of that. Will give it a try tomorrow if the wife doesn't complain about more wires he he

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Good idea with the monitor,never thought of that. Will give it a try tomorrow if the wife doesn't complain about more wires he he

well you know what to do if your wife does complain... you best listen to her, or you'll get no dinner

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

She who must be obeyed and all that.....or so she thinks

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

She who must be obeyed and all that.....or so she thinks

I hope you got her permisson to write that

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

She is too busy yapping to her cronies on Facebook to see what I'm to pmsl
I found an old receipt for my very first PC and it was an eye opener with the really small hard drive and everything else that was on it. It was for windows 98 and was my pride and joy then. Crashed every other day but I loved it at the time. I read the instructions 3 days later on how to set it up but by that time it was working! First guy I,talked to was a police man in Alaska and I couldn't,believe it! Weird or what?
Now we talk to,everyone around the world and don't think anything of it, how times have changed....
I accidently got into the the FBI website and was politely told to go or serious consequences would happen to me so I vanished quickly lol
edit on 4-9-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join