It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

432 Abercorn Street, Savannah, GA - Haunted but what really happened there?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
So...the wife and I had a weekend getaway for Labor Day. We decided to drive down to Savannah and take in some sights. One of the tours we went on was a ghost tour and one of the houses visited was 432 Abercorn Street. We were given a lot of accounts of history of the house and some terrible storied of what had/may have occurred there.

I am a HUGE skeptic of ghosts and hauntings but my wife believes in them whole heartedly. The tour guide showed us pictures of what appeared to be human like figures in the windows from tours years past. Apparently the house has been vacant for a long time as well. The odd thing about the house being vacant is that it is located right on one of the squares which are HIGHLY sought after to live on and most houses sell for $1million+ on these squares.

Now, I decided to do something not so smart later in the evening and went back with another couple, after some libations. My thought was to PROVE it was not haunted. I had heard stories all night from different people about how there were tools still left in the house from workers and what not, but on the tour you are not allowed to go up the steps as it is considered trespassing so nobody could actually look into the second or third floor windows to see.

Now the not so smart part is that when I went back I decided to climb the balcony on the right side of the house. It took me about 30 seconds to get to the second floor balcony. I quickly walked down the balcony and looked in each window and indeed the house appeared abandoned and there were some tools in the house. Once at the other end of the balcony I climbed to the third floor balcony. All of this took maybe 2 minutes. By the time I got onto the third floor balcony the first police officer showed up so I laid down flat.

The officer was a female and saw my wife and the other couple standing there in front of the house and said there had been a call about a breaking and entering on the property. My wife and the other couple assured the officer that they were only looking, meanwhile I am laying on the third floor listening to the conversation.

The officer tells them that it is not a safe house to be at, which seemed odd since it was very nice looking just nobody lived there and there were stories about it.

About that time, 3 more officers show up and they all park on the side of the square directly in front of the house. This puts me in the predicament of being able to get down. So I slowly turn my body around, still laying flat and inch my way down to the other end of the balcony, still looking in windows and still seeing tools and whatnot.

Now the odd part is at the second window I pick up movement out of the corner of my eye and look in and the movement appears to be a shadow, but it stops. The shadow looks like that of a full grown adult but I don't see anyone in there and the shadow, while still there, is not moving.

I don't really stop for too long as I want to get down so I don't get arrested. I crawl past the last window and again see movement, this time the shadow stops but is now in the room I am crawling past, which is a different room from the one I crawled past in the second window and divided by a wall.

I looked over to my right to see if there was an officer that was on the street, thinking they could be casting a shadow but there was nobody there. I confirmed this by finally standing up climbing back down the back side of the balcony floors and climbing over the brick wall, finally dropping down to the sidewalk beside the house. There was nobody there and when I walked back around front to meet up with the other 3, the officers were all patrolling the park/square in front of the house.

My question is really this.....has anyone on here ever heard of this house and does anyone know what stories about it are and are not true for a fact?

Anywho...that's my not so smart moment from my weekend travels! Hope you enjoyed.
edit on 9/3/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
There is alot of stories about this particular house. There are stories that range from the owner killed his daughter during a botched punishment, all the way to 4 girls left alone in the house were murdered except one of them laid out in triangle formation with their organs removed. The reputable ghost tours though wont tell you those stories as they have no basis in truth, instead they will just show previous photos from people touring of ghostly figures in the windows and on the property. Also its suspected that the house may be built over old burial grounds, paranormal researchers dont know exactly what the story is with this house, but most agree based on its location, time of construction, and other factors, that it meets the criteria needed to be deemed haunted.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I haven't heard of this house, unfortunately, so cannot chime in on it. However, I had to say that your little tale of your misadventures were very humorous. Was looking at the house via Trulia, which features a Google map of the residence. What I found interesting is that there are two trash cans on the side of it. Also, found this video on youtube taken by some intrepid interlopers and they found a room with a lamp on in it: youtu.be...

goo.gl...

My thought is...garbage cans for the residence plus lit lamp on the floor may possibly indicate that the house may have a caretaker within it at night. A lot of times houses and buildings that are purported to be haunted have a lot of curious people making their way to them at night or sometimes kids with a penchant for vandalizing. If the current owner had plans to someday improve the house, then having people entering in, leaving bottles, spray paint and worse in their wake would prompt me to hire a caretaker to watch over the house at night. Just an alternate possibility.

edit on 3/9/13 by WhiteAlice because: forgot the google map link

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
So the owner could sell the house for a one time cash flow of a million dollars... or they could drum up the haunting stories and make millions giving tours. Seems like a simple choice to me. Police protecting it from break-ins / ghost hunters doesn't seem strange.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I had comical images when reading of your adventure. Funny and interesting. Thanks for sharing. I myself have never heard of this place before.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I did a bit of research on the house just now, as I had never heard of it or the stories. The consensus is that the Father murdering his daughter, and the death of the four children is all fiction. However, there seems to be plenty of witnesses to similar experiences as what you had.

If your wife likes a good haunt, take her to Myrtles Plantation, and make sure to book the Judge Clarke suite. The grounds at Myrtles is absolutely enchanting, as was the staff. It is the only haunt worth getting to.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Wow how much do they charge for tour these days? $500? Seems unlikely you could make millions.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008

I did a bit of research on the house just now, as I had never heard of it or the stories. The consensus is that the Father murdering his daughter, and the death of the four children is all fiction. However, there seems to be plenty of witnesses to similar experiences as what you had.

If your wife likes a good haunt, take her to Myrtles Plantation, and make sure to book the Judge Clarke suite. The grounds at Myrtles is absolutely enchanting, as was the staff. It is the only haunt worth getting to.

I have researched it a bit myself and have found no solid evidence that anything sinister happened there but have also found nothing to disprove the stories either.

I will have to take a look at Myrtles and see if the wife would like to go there.

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I have never heard of this particular house but sounds like a bunk ghost tour to me. They should at least let you go through the house as well as give you some factual stuff on it. Especially if you are paying for it. your escapades the night after were the best part of the story

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

I felt the same. Only went along with the tour because the wife wanted to. I am more of an explorer....I like to really get into the meat and bones of it and figure it out myself as it were.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

I've been reading a lot about the "haunted" house at Villisca Iowa lately,for the last five days,i can't get enough of it for some reason. The true story behind the haunting is chilling and makes me pleasantly scared,i would love to visit there but as i live in England i can't see that happening just yet. Do you think that it is a legitimate haunt or just imagination because of the murders which occurred there?
Also at $500 a night (and apparently booked up months ahead) it is bringing in much more than the usual rent for a property of that size.
The owner Darwin Linn has recently died but his wife continues to let it out nightly and i believe they have two daughters who can reap the rewards which show no sign of abating.

edit on 12/9/13 by transubstantiation because: spelling

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by transubstantiation

Will have to look into this one as well....my wife is really into these things and I would like to plan a trip to stay somewhere that could really give her a fright.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by transubstantiation

I know the story well, really very tragic history. I suppose if one simply wants to obtain EVP's and other evidence it would be the place to go. The place has a sinister feel to me. The folks that I have spoken with that have spent the money to stay just the night were disappointed in the type of evidence along with the fact that there are absolutely no amenities such as plumbing to make your stay anywhere near comfortable. It's been a couple of years since I have heard anything about the place, and given the price now days maybe the owners installed plumbing.

Of all of the places that I have done my ghost hunting Myrtles is worth the price. The Judge Clarke suite will give you the most amount of room, privacy and evidence. I captured a great deal of voices, laughter, thumping on the steps just outside of the room and one very large ball of light hovering on the stair well.

The grounds of Myrtles are very private and most enchanting. It was well worth the money spent.

new topics

top topics

join