It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Syria crisis: US intervention 'limited and proportional' - Obama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
US Congress has begun its hearings on the case for intervention in Syria, with President Barack Obama seeking to persuade politicians and American citizens of the need for a military response to the suspected chemical weapons attack on the outskirts of Damascus on 21 August.

The US has put the death toll from the attack at 1,429, including 426 children, though other countries and organisations have given lower figures.

President Obama has been speaking about possible US military action against Syria and said he was confident Congress would approve military strikes when it reconvenes.

He said: "This is a limited, proportional step that will send a clear message."

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by deviant300

Here's the catch if the US troops actually are on Syria they will either defect to Asad's forces, shoot their superiors(Like in Vietnam), and/or go AWOL after seeing that they are helping Al Qaeda Terrorists killing Christians and other innocent people.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Well, I'm glad to hear he is 100% certain that no one on Planet Earth is capable or willing to ever mount a counter-attack or defense worth even giving thought to.

He's so arrogant, he's dangerous to the world peace by that alone. How dare he suggest WE can 100% set the terms and limits of hot, shooting warfare. What a fool!

THIS is what he spoke AGAINST when Bush was doing it. I guess we'll just call him George Obama from now on. It fits just as well.

There isn't a nickle's worth of difference between them....if Obama isn't WORSE. After all, Bush can't be said to have 2 living examples of recent history to show what a failure his next actions were sure to be.
edit on 3-9-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I wonder what limited and proportional means?

Are we going to kill another 1500 odd civilians to make it all better?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Well, the attack on Syria seems to be a foregone conclusion at this point.

Speaker of the House Boehner is on board with Obama. So is Pelosi. So is Majority leader Cantor. All the little ducklings are lined up.

Things that could go wrong:
1) War protests in U.S. since over 90% are against this war.
2) Troop defection/desertion (personally, I doubt this would happen, but???)
3) Syria, Russia, and Iran mount a good defense/offense.
4) The U.S. is actually successful and Al Qaeda takes over Syria.
5) ???

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Gotta wonder about the "elite" new-world-order crowd, and their plans for humanity.

Syria Crisis has Created 2 Million Refugees!

Anyway, there's talk of Syrian refugees being relocated to America, maybe Israel and the Rothschild family can lend a helping hand too. Just a thought.

An aerial view shows the Zaatari refugee camp, near the Jordanian city of Mafraq July 18, 2013 -- roughly 115,000 Syrian refugees spend the summer in Jordan, eight miles away from their homeland.

edit on 3-9-2013 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
As I just said in another thread, Obama's slogan:

Regime Change We Can Believe In!

I'm surprised that so many people in DC are changing their minds. I wonder how much campaign funding is being dangled in front of them?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by seasoul

My God...

They need the planners of Burning Man out there to organize that setup a little better. The circular setup they use is more efficient. They could put medical/food/aid/supplies in the center.

BM usually only gets what, 50-60,000 people? It seems to work very well for them. You can even send/receive mail!

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

Speaker of the House Boehner is on board with Obama. So is Pelosi. So is Majority leader Cantor. All the little ducklings are lined up.

5) ???

AnonymousCitizen, I'd like to add.
Most Americans Don't want to have anything to do with Policing The World Anymore.
But what we want doesn't matter, does it?

I suppose every one has read today where Pelosi told her grandson we're at war.
www.realclearpolitics.com...

And who hasn't read that the reason Obama possibly getting the votes he needs is because of the loyalty of Democrats.
Not because they care about the loss of life of American Service Men and Women,,, But because they don't want to see Obama Embarrassed.

Democratic Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton said Tuesday that at the current time, the only reason she would vote in favor of an attack on Syria was out of loyalty to Barack Obama.

Appearing on radio's Bill Press Show, the non-voting delegate from the District of Columbia also said if the President actually gets the votes he needs, "it’ll be because of loyalty of Democrats. They just don’t want to see him shamed and humiliated on the national stage"

Please people,,,, Vote these Clown OUT!
newsbusters.org...

Our service men and women are being used to save this POTUS from being Embarrassed!!

edit on 3-9-2013 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

i see his "limited and proportional" as being the opening of a war on iran.
the chemicals are a cover for american/isreali agression planed all along.

the chemical attack is but an excuse to attack syria, giving israel a cover for whatever warmonging plans they may have.

watching the republicans having to support obama's war would be entertaining if wasn't for all the inocent civilians and soldiers who will die due to these political scoundrels.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen6511

i see his "limited and proportional" as being the opening of a war on iran.
the chemicals are a cover for american/isreali agression planed all along.

the chemical attack is but an excuse to attack syria, giving israel a cover for whatever warmonging plans they may have.

watching the republicans having to support obama's war would be entertaining if wasn't for all the inocent civilians and soldiers who will die due to these political scoundrels.

You hit the nail on the head.

This is the best summary of why we are where we are at this time.

Iran is but a few weeks away from nuclear weapons, and Israel has 2 High Holy Days comming up in the next 12 days, and they have used those days to attack before several times; in ancient history and modern.

God Bless,

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal

Here's the catch if the US troops actually are on Syria they will either defect to Asad's forces, shoot their superiors(Like in Vietnam), and/or go AWOL after seeing that they are helping Al Qaeda Terrorists killing Christians and other innocent people.

Really? So what does an Al Qaeda terrorist look like? Do they have twin towers campaign patches on their shoulders? Bet most of our troops would be clueless also. True evil is found in everyone. On their lips and in their hearts. When Iraq was bombed to "hell wouldn't have it" did you lament the innocent deaths. How about Libya? The list is very long.

True evil is in the casual judgements of the people without critical thought. And then when they actually discover the truth their apathy and lack of action. Al Qaeda?? Well, that's just a convenient boogeyman.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
This is getting more confusing every moment.

Just before I went to bed the news here reported he’ll NOT be limited in how he strikes, he will keep the option for ‘boots on the ground’ and he will not use a ‘sunset’ approach (?) meaning (I take it) there is no ‘end in site’ from the get go.

Back to the drawing board I see...

peace

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I'm just speechless.

Sorry.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
This is a limited, proportional step that will send a clear message

Well if I was Assad I wouldn't take this as a limited ,proportional step that will send a clear message
I would take this as an Act Of War

I mean if anyone in the world did this to any American bases or the homeland , I am just guessing that Obama would not say well ladies and gentlemen this attack was "a limited proportional step that will send a clear message"

I am pretty sure it would be classed as an Act Of War

Riouz

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

5) ???

Have been waiting for someone to make this list. I would like to add one well known specific of Iran and Israel going at it where we finally get to know just what Iran has (to go under #3). Then for under #4 - they get the weapons and hit American allies (whoever is in range).

I think this is on most people's mind. What are the potential outcomes.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

edit on 4-9-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I don't really see it working.
Tactical? Hardly. Take out a CW round here, a CW round there. Not gonna make a difference.
Teaching a lesson? Maybe. Gaddafi got awfully "peaceful" back in 1986. But I don't think Assad is a dummy. Mean and vicious yes. Dummy, no. He's busily stashing assets.

edit on 9/4/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I'm certain it will make matters worse, more chemical releases regionally, absolutely guaranteed i'ts going to get ugly .

edit on 4-9-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I just got blocked from telling the truth(I can understand why-but my post did not go to far). A "knock" at my door is expected(I DO need a job). ATS is heavily monitored-do not speak too freely.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join