It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "N" Word on Trial

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Proof that they instruct teachers to use the n word....

edit on 3-9-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I work in a secondary school in the UK, i was speaking about this during a history lesson and asked the kids why they think its acceptable for rap stars and certain level of film stars to use that word and i was told this (and a stupid answer if i may say so myself)

Sir, if i am you're friend you say WHATS UP MY N--GA but if I am your slave you say N--GER.

yep thats what i was told. when i asked the kids and this boy was black if that's important why he felt it was right that way around he said because he saw Jamie Foxx say it on a tv interview. i explained to them the meaning behind the word and where it came from and he shrugged saying

Yeah sir but that's the old days. now people say all kinds of S***.

When rappers learn not to use this word in any form even when saying lines such as MESSING WITH NO BROKE N**GER then i will consider it to be a really hated word and yes i am white so maybe some of you might think that i dont understand why its offensive and to that i say this STOP USING IT AS A WORD IN SONG LYRICS.

But it is a word i dont like, as are many that are used by all people no matter their race or creed such as C*NT i cannot that word, but like i said stop cramming it into your songs to try and look cool and i think the word will go the way of the Dodo.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I work in a secondary school in the UK, i was speaking about this during a history lesson and asked the kids why they think its acceptable for rap stars and certain level of film stars to use that word and i was told this (and a stupid answer if i may say so myself)

Sir, if i am you're friend you say WHATS UP MY N--GA but if I am your slave you say N--GER.

yep thats what i was told. when i asked the kids and this boy was black if that's important why he felt it was right that way around he said because he saw Jamie Foxx say it on a tv interview. i explained to them the meaning behind the word and where it came from and he shrugged saying

Yeah sir but that's the old days. now people say all kinds of S***.

When rappers learn not to use this word in any form even when saying lines such as MESSING WITH NO BROKE N**GER then i will consider it to be a really hated word and yes i am white so maybe some of you might think that i dont understand why its offensive and to that i say this STOP USING IT AS A WORD IN SONG LYRICS.

But it is a word i dont like, as are many that are used by all people no matter their race or creed such as C*NT i cannot that word, but like i said stop cramming it into your songs to try and look cool and i think the word will go the way of the Dodo.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I find cracker offensive is well. This isn't at all about white guilt nor racial preference. It's about calling something what it is, hate, and educating people until it goes away.

I read Don Miguel Ruiz's book "The Four Agreements" and one of them was to never take anything personally. I've been yelled at by members of other races and called some nasty things.

I simply shrug them off, remembering that they don't know me personally. We only get offended when we accept and allow the hate that is spewed from someone else to infect us.

I've never experienced "real racism" (so I've been told by other people). Where I live it's predominately white, and most people here don't care about race. It's to cold and dark to not get along -- we're all in this icebox together!

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I compare it to the word bitch somewhat women black or white call each other bitch but if a man does it its offensive just like white or Mexican or etc calling each other "nigga" but if its use cross racially its an issue

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PharaohSmiff

It might be a valid comparison....but really, it shows a lack of respect for the other person...and yourself.
Such derogatory words just have no place in polite society...and I would wonder if a friend of mine used such words.
Surely we have better words oO

Perhaps that is the real problem:
lack of respect...for each other, nor ourselves, for life.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
If Black folks did away with the word colored and Negro in most cases then they can do away with 'n-word'

Identity Purpose Direction

Do you have them
of your own
or
imposed by someone else?

Who you are
Where you come from
What you're supposed to be about

Are these biologically determined
Are these media determined
Are these self-determined

The answer could class you as
a pet
a slave
a free human being

In the west many many many
African descendents allow the
media to classify them and
they behave themselves
accordingly.

edit on 4-9-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sharingan
reply to post by Hefficide

This is so stupid, if they want to call each other "niga" who cares?
One of my sons very best friends is black, hes literally over here 2-3 nights every week.
They stay up late and play League of Legends and about every few minutes ill hear one or the other say, "niga" this or "niga" that.. its only a big deal because a handful of people make it a big deal.. Lighten up FFS
On a side note, I watched Pulp Fiction for the first time in 20 years the other day and Samuel Jacksons character says the word "niger" at least 20 times during the 2 hours movie lol.

Sounds like apathy to me. Are you saying "Who cares" because you truly have an absolutely liberal mind set that feels no words can hurt... or are you saying "who cares" because it happens to be a word that doesn't happen to insult the race that you personally belong to?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

Love the slippery slope argument... Only problem is that I did not suggest people be penalized for their ignorance - only that I feel using the word is an act of ignorance and one that has no place in a civil society.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Words dont hurt me maybe because I am white but they apparently dont hurt my sons friend either, who, as I pointed out, happens to be black.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
What's with the "C" word too? Why is THAT one offensive? I've never understood that. The "N" word I can understand, due to it's history...

But the "C" word is more offensive than the "B" word? What?! I can tell my girlfriend stop being a "B", but if I use the "C" word I get slapped or screamed at.

What gives? Ladies?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I work as a teacher and I have a number of African students, primarily Sudanese. They use the 'N' word regularly, and most of the time I interrupt them and ask that they not use that word, particularly in the classroom or schoolyard. For them, it's not an offensive term (if it comes from the mouth of another African student, but if it came out of the mouth of a non-African, there would probably be a fight), and I tried to get them to see that this itself could be construed as racist.

Interestingly, my Ethiopean female students hate this term and I encourage them to be vocal about it, as the less others tolerate this sort of language, the less comfortable the Sudanese students will be in using it.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Both words are demeaning, disrespectful and in extremely poor taste.
Although bitch is less of an evil....much less as a matter of fact.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join