It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "N" Word on Trial

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I have used it in the past in front of mixed group of friends.. and only if i'm reciting a joke or line in a song... and they don't mind it.. its only a problem when i use it for no reason(which i don't think they mind, known them for 15+ yrs) but i don't like it use it..

If they don't like it why stir the pot?

Do people abuse it? yeah of course.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Mads1987

Nothing offends you?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by stormdancer777

Nothing that I am aware of.

I can find actions objectionable or repugnant, but they don't ever offend me. I can sense if someone is trying to be offensive, but that doesn't bother me none. I usually look at what the intention is, and how efficient an action was in reaching the intended goal, and from that I can judge the value of an action. But since I don't consider anything holy it is very hard, if not impossible, to offend me.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
As a part Asian and white girl who grew up in a predominately black neighborhood in Oakland, Ca, I was told by the black people living there that only they were allowed to use the N word, and I listened to them say it throughout my youth. However, they nicknamed me "Chinky", for the racist term "Chink" and that seemed to be OK with them. (I'm part Indian, dot not feather, white, and Japanese)

I won't claim to understand the double standards, because I don't. But I will never use the N word in any context because I still think it's racist.
edit on 3-9-2013 by Taissa because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-9-2013 by Taissa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Intention yes, of course, a couple close friends BSing is different situation.

I guess we should be conscientious of others feeling, just in case, because most people do get hurt or offend by some things.

Where do we draw the line?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by stormdancer777

Intention yes, of course, a couple close friends BSing is different situation.

I guess we should be conscientious of others feeling, just in case, because most people do get hurt or offend by some things.

Where do we draw the line?

I never said anything about a couple of close friends BSing.
I mean that a complete stranger could walk up to me in the street and call me every name in the book, while spitting after my sick grandmother and punching a puppy in the face - and I would not find it offensive.

Being offended is an incredibly unproductive position to take on any matter. People get offended without merit all the time, and it is important that this is addressed and preferably corrected, so that those who get offended see that no harm was done.
I agree that we should be nice to each other, and consider each others feelings. But we should never censor anything. Freedom of speech is alpha omega.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I mean that a complete stranger could walk up to me in the street and call me every name in the book, while spitting after my sick grandmother and punching a puppy in the face - and I would not find it offensive.

No offense,lol

but I don't believe you.

edit on 103030p://bTuesday2013 by stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Haha.. None taken.
But my point is, that taking offense does nothing to solve the problem at hand, so I choose not to be offended.
I understand that for some it is more a compulsion than a choice, due to everything from cultural heritage to religious views, but I have freed myself from society's dogmas, and does therefore not get offended.

What offends you?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

What offends you?

I guess that would depend on ones definition of offended.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I would define it as causing anger in another person. But generally I agree with the definitions presented in the link you provided.

So let's phrase it this way - could I say anything to you to cause you anger?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I find cracker offensive is well. This isn't at all about white guilt nor racial preference. It's about calling something what it is, hate, and educating people until it goes away.

Who says it's hate? are you arguing the use of the word, or the intent behind the word, or historical association?

The problem here is this: This whole "N" word nonsense is a psyop and nothing more. They are using this to get you alter your thinking. Nigger is a word, yet as I wrote that many of you cringed, a cringe you didn't have in your consciousness until about 10 years ago.

The word as a form of historical shame is in the past, not the present. The people who were associated with the word 100 years ago are not us. My family walked on the trail of tears, so what, I didn't. If someone calls me an "indian giver" I would feel like a total jackass to claim it hurt me. Why would I give another so much power as to let them hurt me saying something like that? In fact, I'm "offended" because I should be called a Native American Giver..._javascript:icon('
')

"But, word can hurt feelings." So what? My feelings are not protected by law, at least they weren't and should not be. My feelings are subjective, not factual. If I'm happy calling me an indian giver won't bother me, if I'm depressed calling me an indian giver will hurt me. As grounds for remedy or grounds for paying money to the State this hurt feeling business is beyond obscene, as how am I supposed to know what kind of day your are having, or what condition your bank account is in.

We have DEVOLVED through this psyop to be so skittish about everything and that is the point. Instead of EVOLVING to the point where you can call me any name at all I am above responding, we are encouraging a nation of "teacher, he called me stupid, I want him fine and killed because he hurt my feelings." And you think what I said is obscene, tack a "hate crime" onto a robbery and you might see the death penalty.

Why are we arguing this at all? The better placed is to find the whole thing silly, instead the better place is a place where folks will pay the money to the State for committing the crime of being a jerk and folks will be fearful of saying anything at all, and each of us will cower instead of stand tall in the face of childish games.

We used to teach, 'rise above it' and now we teach "he hurt my feelings, put him in jail." This is more evolved?

In WA you can't say "brown bag" because it might hurt someone's feelings. Huh? And this is the goal, the real goal of this 'n-word' effort. When you remove symbols or access to symbols you inhibit the ability to communicate and evolve. When your deem some symbols acceptable with no fine or imprisonment, and some worthy of fine or imprisonment, you have successfully controlled the mind - watch what you say, big brother is watching your use of the word 'n-word' or "no global warming."

If we're going down this path I want the word, "Shackles" illegal - used to keep slaves from running. I want the phrase, "cotton pickin" illegal as well as the act of picking cotton by hand - slaves did it. I want the phrase, "food binding" illegal, many suffered this in the past. I want "metrosexual" illegal - it just bugs me.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mads1987

I would define it as causing anger in another person. But generally I agree with the definitions presented in the link you provided.

So let's phrase it this way - could I say anything to you to cause you anger?

Yea, it is a human emotion,it takes a lot to make me angry but I do get angry and I do get my one last feeling hurt at times.

I think I get more angry for others, that's what makes me angry, injustice and stupidity.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I think it helps hold on the the slavery past and it seems to be the only thing many are proud of. I see the black community by me as dying. it's getting smaller all the time. people are getting jobs and movint to better places. Many homes ate being torn down and we buy up the lots so they can't let the federal government come in and rebuild. It's time for the building stage of the black people and be done with the tearing down.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

“Words... They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good any more...

― Tom Stoppard

This quote always comes to mind when I read, see or hear debates about particular words and the pain they can cause, but also the healing, I guess its up to the speaker and what is is they want to cause...pain or healing...

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I find cracker offensive is well. This isn't at all about white guilt nor racial preference. It's about calling something what it is, hate, and educating people until it goes away.

Ok, I have not heard 'cracker' before. What is the history behind it?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by greavsie1971

I don't think cracker is really offensive, i think a black person calling white person "cracker" is the same as calling him "master" lol.

Im sure there is multiple terms, but the term im familiar with is that, cracker were the people who "snap" the whip at slaves, making "cracking" sound.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by greavsie1971

I don't think cracker is really offensive, i think a black person calling white person "cracker" is the same as calling him "master" lol.

Im sure there is multiple terms, but the term im familiar with is that, cracker were the people who "snap" the whip at slaves, making "cracking" sound.

Oh, ok. I would not find that offensive at all as Ive never cracked a whip at a black person. So there is nothing to truly associate that to me. Its just a word.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

It is undeniably unacceptable to use the "N-word."

The "-er" ending variant of the word is replete with the historical baggage of my ancestors' oppression, so contemporary African Americans redefined the "N-word," and now all of a sudden it's used to express solidarity or to signify an acquaintance, blah, blah, blah.

I think people should find a better way to express themselves rather than resort to using such a filthy word steeped in controversy.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Black English Vernacular is an actual dialect of English. The language one acquires when growing up is not a sign of race or creed etc., it is a sign of the culture one was brought up in. Realizing this, it becomes difficult to be xenophobic about the use of this vernacular, of which the n-word is a part of.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

It's a shame your comment received no replies or attention because it is arguably the most level headed and sensible comment in the thread. Far, far too much power has been granted to mere words by modern society. Once upon a time actions spoke louder than words. The fact that this is no longer the case is on full display in such an example as the men of no tangible substance elected to public office on the basis of their words alone.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me" was once a character building staple of elementrary schools across the land. Unfortunately, as with so many issues today, it has been thrown aside. There is no fundamental human right of freedom from being offended... there is only freedom to be offended, or not, at anything you personally choose to take offense over. That concept has been bastardized into the idea that, once a listener has become offended, there should be some manner of compensation taken from whomever has offended them, be it through the civil courts or through the court of public opinion.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join