It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING Russia: Two 'Missiles' Fired In Mediterranean

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Here is the Fox news report on it:

Israel says it carried out joint missile tests with US is Mediterranean

Israel has acknowledged conducting a joint missile test with the United States in the Mediterranean Sea on Tuesday, responding to reports that Russian radar had detected a missile launch in the direction of the eastern Mediterranean.

The Israeli Defence Ministry confirmed to Reuters that the test was conducted at approximately 9:15 a.m. Israel Daylight Time (2:15 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time) Tuesday, about the same time that Russia's Interfax news agency reported that the launch was detected by a radar station at Armavir, near the Black Sea.

Russia's state-owned news agency RIA originally reported Tuesday that radar detected two ballistic 'objects' that were fired from the central Mediterranean Sea. Originally, a spokeswoman for the Israeli military told Reuters that Israel was "not aware of such an event having occurred." However, approximately an hour later, Israel acknowledged testing a so-called "anchor" target missile used in a U.S.-funded anti-missile system.

What are "anchor" target missiles?

That is a new one to me.

Nothing on CNN yet. Boy are they slow.
edit on 3-9-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I'm not normally the alarmist, but something about this statement from my government set alarm bells off.....

The UK has stressed that they “have nothing to do" with the launch.

Something smells fishy, almost like they [UK] know something is going on (or about to), but want no part of it, and want the world to know that too.

EDIT: Also, the fact that the BBC haven't covered this (yet) also seems highly suspicious.

2nd EDIT: Dammit, the BBC were just typing it up as I posted my first edit, sod law and all that.
edit on 3/9/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Here is the Fox news report on it:

Israel says it carried out joint missile tests with US is Mediterranean

Israel has acknowledged conducting a joint missile test with the United States in the Mediterranean Sea on Tuesday, responding to reports that Russian radar had detected a missile launch in the direction of the eastern Mediterranean.

The Israeli Defence Ministry confirmed to Reuters that the test was conducted at approximately 9:15 a.m. Israel Daylight Time (2:15 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time) Tuesday, about the same time that Russia's Interfax news agency reported that the launch was detected by a radar station at Armavir, near the Black Sea.

Russia's state-owned news agency RIA originally reported Tuesday that radar detected two ballistic 'objects' that were fired from the central Mediterranean Sea. Originally, a spokeswoman for the Israeli military told Reuters that Israel was "not aware of such an event having occurred." However, approximately an hour later, Israel acknowledged testing a so-called "anchor" target missile used in a U.S.-funded anti-missile system.

What are "anchor" target missiles?

That is a new one to me.

Nothing on CNN yet. Boy are they slow.

Israel and the US admitted conducting a joint missile test in the Mediterranean which led to fears that ballistic missiles had been fired towards Syria.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantasm

Kind of a scary thought with ballistic missiles.

Glad it was just a test of something else.

You start seeing ballistic missiles being fired off and it is duck and cover time.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
according to the bbc news America are saying they were not involved ..yet Israel said it was joint...who's lying and why

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Don't those countries doing the testing usually inform others of any impending test, so as not to cause alarm or misunderstanding? I thought that was pretty much an adhered to protocol, especially if conducting it in such a busy / touchy area. Something just doesn't sound right here, especially given the initial denials, then a cover story!

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Can you picture what Putin would be thinking about this?

Israel need to seriously vanish

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sitchin

Yup seems to be lots of conflicting reports right now

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sitchin
according to the bbc news America are saying they were not involved ..yet Israel said it was joint...who's lying and why

No one is lying. What we see here is how Things get reported through a Chain of command. Only the right cain of comman have authority to confirm the event. That is why all this speculation is happening. No one except the right Chain of command can give a Authentic statment.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

EDIT: It sounds as if the 'anchor' is a target missile which was used to test the ARROW anti-ballistic missile system. So presumably one object was the target, the other the interceptor, and the two were both detected - why they both appeared as ballistic on radar when one was guided isn't something I have enough knowledge to really speculate on. That makes a lot more sense than firing at a target anchored to the sea floor, as I initially interpreted it.
edit on 3-9-2013 by Araqiel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I sure hope a meteor or fireball doesn't jump start the whole thing.

Meteor Detection Live

Trajectory of objects.

Radio Reflection Detection Page

You never know.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

indeed ..I normally gather all the facts ...but in this case reports keep changing ...something's not right especially in such a hot location you would think that they would announce that they were testing ..or at the very least not give conflicting stories ..

im actually interested in this one ...shame I have to work in a hour

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Fox news just reported that Israel was actually using the missiles to test/align it's radar systems.

Certainly a provocation/warning message hidden in that.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
BBC now reporting it was an 'ENCORE' missile fired by an F-15, which I believe to be one of these en.wikipedia.org... - pretty extravagant bit of kit to be using for a test target, and to fire it in the direction of Syria is somewhat provocative to say the least.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Araqiel

That is an anti-satellite missile if what I am reading is correct

From the wiki link you provided:

The United States developed direct ascent anti-satellite weapons. A United States Army Nike Zeus missile armed with a nuclear warhead destroyed an orbiting satellite in May 1963.[5] One missile from this system known as Project MUDFLAP and later as Project 505 was available for launch from 1964 until 1967.[5] A nuclear armed Thor anti-satellite system deployed by the United States Air Force under Program 437 eventually replaced the Project 505 Nike Zeus in 1967. The Program 437 Thor missile system remained in limited deployment until 1975.[6] One drawback of nuclear armed anti-satellite weapons was they could also potentially damage United States reconnaissance satellites. As a result the United States anti-satellite weapons development effort were re-directed to develop systems that did not require the use of nuclear weapons.[5] After the Soviet Union demonstrated an operational co-orbital anti-satellite system, in 1978, U.S. President Jimmy Carter directed the USAF to develop and deploy a new anti-satellite system.[7] In 1978, the USAF started a new program initially designated the Prototype Miniature Air-Launched Segment (PMALS) and Air Force System Command's Space Division established a system program office.[7] The USAF issued a Request for Proposal for the Air Launched Miniature Vehicle. The requirement was for an air-launched missile that could be used against satellites in low earth orbit. In 1979, the USAF issued a contract to LTV Aerospace to begin work on the ALMV. The LTV Aerospace design featured a multi-stage missile with an infrared homing kinetic energy warhead.

Crazy.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Mmmm... an air launched intercept missile probably wouldn't be picked up by a radar system designed to detect a ballistic land / sea launch, I am guessing?

Did someone launch something to try and kick things off and get slapped down?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Perhaps this has something to do with it:

Missile Warning Encore: The Air Force approved full-up production of the NexGen infrared missile warning system to protect its combat-delivery airlifters and special-mission C-130s, announced manufacturer Northrop Grumman on May 14. The new missile-detection system is an add-on to the company's Large Aircraft Infrared Countermeasures system that is already resident on Air Force platforms like C-5s, C-17s, and C-130s. NexGen will "significantly increase" an aircraft's ability "to counter the man-portable air defense threat," said Col. Shawn Shanley, LAIRCM acquisition leader. "This latest milestone decision will ensure the Air Force has the most advanced missile-warning system with longer detection range and reduced false alarms," added Carl Smith, Northrop Grumman IR countermeasures vice president. The Air Force selected the company to supply the NexGen MWS in January 2009.

Airforce Magazine Encore Missile Warning

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
I'm not normally the alarmist, but something about this statement from my government set alarm bells off.....

The UK has stressed that they “have nothing to do" with the launch.

Something smells fishy, almost like they [UK] know something is going on (or about to), but want no part of it, and want the world to know that too.

EDIT: Also, the fact that the BBC haven't covered this (yet) also seems highly suspicious.

2nd EDIT: Dammit, the BBC were just typing it up as I posted my first edit, sod law and all that.
edit on 3/9/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

That's exactly what is going on, more than likely. The U.K. does not want to be involved in a war with Russia.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Yeah the anchored targets make no sense. Why would you test a system meant to track extremely fast targets on immobile targets. Is that even a real test? That's enough to show me this was an attempt to provoke a strike from Syria so we would be dragged into the war.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

It will only be war with Russia if they go to Iran. I'm afraid that's going tobhappen. We will probably be in Syria and Iran at the same time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join