It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buzzards are grim reapers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Yes you are right, in America those are called buzzards too, anyway, I was talking about the other one.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoParadigm

He is too young to tell if he is a black or turkey vulture yet. He could be a she or a he too! Too young.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

deadeyedick

Originally posted by Sharingan
reply to post by deadeyedick

No. They are scavenger birds that only eat dead, rotting meat. There is nothing angelic about them
edit on 0303pmMon, 02 Sep 2013 15:10:03 -05001093pm9 by Sharingan because: (no reason given)
yes that is there role in this realm but there is always more to the story. it is not the state of the corpse that they are looking for it is dna specific when they are on the job.

Ooops I just saw this. I understand that your OP was more of a metaphor, a good one too, but just in case, vultures care not one iota about the dna of a corpse. I can tell you what kind of carrion they prefer, which is fresh carcass (riga is a problem for their beaks believe it or not), and mammals. They have no problems dining on other birds, but if there is a dead coon next to a dead bird, the vulture will eat the coon. Reptiles are not a favorite, and neither are fish. But they will consume them if they are driven by hunger or opportunity.

They are also attracted to white. We believe that is the result of the big factory farms. Lots of white animals like ducks, chickens, etc, are common on these big farms. They smell the death and they learned that the white equals a meal. This is only a theory. People that raise ducks here call all freaked out because the vultures are hanging on the fence next to their flock of Pekins, and that is what we tell them. Again, it's just a theory.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

You're right

In North America, they're all vultures. "Buzzard" is just a colloquialism.

We had over 50 in our yard recently, it was surreal. You could hear them hissing. and beating their wings. It was quite eerie and oppressive to have them lurking about.

Some neighbors were upset and wanted to shoot at them or otherwise scare them off but, when the vultures were done, the lingering smell of the dead deer back in the woods was gone...

They definitely have a place of respect in my book.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

That is so cool that you had that many! I am used to them so I have never been put off by them, but I can see how people would be. Their smell is terrible. When one comes into the clinic, I have to put something over my face or I will lose it. When one vomits (they often do), there is nothing you can do but chop off your own nose.

There are some old timers that think these creatures are disease ridden. However, their guts are very well designed and even curtail diseases. There needs to be more people like you that see how awesome they are! And that's why we have an international day dedicated just for vultures!

Oh I wanted to add, it is illegal to disturb a committee even if it is on your own property. Your neighbors could get into big trouble even shooing them off, and the pointing of a gun at a vulture would be even worse within the laws of federally protected migratory birds.

edit on 2-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Reply to post by deadeyedick

What would South Texas be without vultures? It is strange that I find myself a tad bit mesmerized by them, they are hideous and beautiful at the same time.

I have several chickens and wondered once if they are part vulture deep down inside.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I've flown with buzzards.
They make great thermal indicators. Look you in the eye and seem to say, "You call that soaring? Watch this!" as they sky out above you.

Not me:

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join