It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man flies through carriage on a fire extinguisher

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

That fire extinguisher must be really full or the guy is pretty light.
Ive seen extinguishers strapped to roller skates and things, never seen someone ride one bareback!

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Must be fake.... the stream of gas (or whatever it is called in English) points to the roof. There is no force between the floor and fire extinguisher so no force against the gravity.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

Hows it fake?
Jet points up giving a downforce, the guy is sat on the front giving it lift (back down, front up).....this counters each other out and pushes him forward
edit on 2-9-2013 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

Or the other way around, as the jet points up it exerts pressure downwards, the guys on the front which pushes the front down......the pushing from below/behind lifts the front of the cylinder, his weight counters the force, which in turn propels him forwards.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Looks like a CO2 extinguisher, I've used those in the past. I don't recall them having enough thrust to do something like that. Imagine, you aim it at a fire, squeeze the lever, and off you go. Flying across the room.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by caterpillage
Looks like a CO2 extinguisher, I've used those in the past. I don't recall them having enough thrust to do something like that. Imagine, you aim it at a fire, squeeze the lever, and off you go. Flying across the room.

Its a fairly big co2 extinguisher, probably a 5kg one.
The gas is under 1800psi of pressure, 130bar ish. A full, new extinguisher could support the weight of someone light for a couple of seconds if the valve was damaged and released more gas than its supposed to.

Or it could be fake

I suspect the valve was damaged to release such high pressure gas.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Fake.

Saw on myth busters or brainiac with them on office chairs, they could not get very fast (light jogging speed and not very far) DEFINITELY not fly any distance from the thrust of one with a mans body weight - in fact i dont think a canister that size could even project itself all that far on its own.
edit on 2-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

Sounds like a good idea for a Myth-busters episode. They did one where they shot an oxygen tank at a block wall. The trick there was to sever the valve from the top of the cylinder so the gas escapes in force. They had some success with it, and it was impressive to say the least. Now oxygen cylinders are built with very thick steel to contain around 2000 psi, and are quite heavy even when empty. Comparably fire extinguishers are fairly light weight, you might want to look into that 1800 psi claim a bit. I believe its more like 900. I may be wrong though.

Edit: Lol, Biigs beat me to it

edit on 2-9-2013 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
Fake.

Saw on myth busters or brainiac with them on office chairs, they could not get very fast (light jogging speed and not very far) DEFINITELY not fly any distance from the thrust of one with a mans body weight - in fact i dont think a canister that size could even project itself all that far on its own.

You mean like this.....

The train is moving in the opposite direction to flight btw

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

[in response to the extinguisher+chair video]

Exactly like that.

Did you see how slowly he accelerated?

The only reason it goes so far is thanks to the wheels.

Take off the wheels and you either loose grip of the extinguisher or neither you or the extinguisher move - much less take flight or even glide.

edit: also the direction of the train is irrelevant.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
That situation is impossible as it appears to be.
Physics won't allow it.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Aside from the astute and, I believe, accurate assertions made by other posters that the extinguisher could not have provided the necessary thrust, to allow for the flight characteristics we see in the video, there is another thing wrong with the video.

In order to produce lateral movement, and create lift, the nozzle of the extinguisher, even if it COULD have produced the thrust required, would have had to have been at a specific angle, and kept there. The angle would have had to have allowed the canister to provide both the lateral movement, and the upthrust to keep the fellow aloft, so the nozzle would have had to have been pointing downward, and away from the gentleman seated on the canister.

Maybe
.........l
..........i
.............e

...............t
................h
..................i
...................s ?

As it was, there were a few moments during that video, where the nozzle is clearly pointed a little bit upwards, which would have lead to the canister and its hapless occupant, being thrown violently to the floor, as the inadvertant down force provided by the errant nozzle, and gravity, conspired against the fellow to cast him down.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

How is the train direction irrelevant....its what creates the illusion.

Had the train been at a standstill, nothing would have happened, the guy would have just stood there with a cloud of co2 behind him. The trains momentum creates the illusion. Argue all you want, thats how it works

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf
reply to post by Biigs

How is that irrelevant?!

Because illusions are not real, like this fake video!

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs

reply to post by Biigs

How is that irrelevant?!

Because illusions are not real, like this fake video!

I dont think you really understand how it works.

The train is accelerating, as the guys feet leave the ground the train is still accelerating. Because of this, and the direction the train is going in reference to the person...it appears he is flying. He is actually still pretty much in the same place he was, but as he is no longer being influenced by the train when his feet leave the floor and the speed is increasing the train moves under him so to speak. Obviously its exaggerated because he is sat astride a co2 extinguisher which is also applying a force.

Its a clever illusion, but nonetheless its still real in the sense it can happen under the right conditions.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
That looks like so much fun. I wish I was young and carefree.

All I could think was that's a silly waste of fire extinguisher. When did I get so old?

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Its not optical, loo at where his feet are on the ground when he "takes off" and then just before the person walks across where he is then where he lands. its like 5-8 feet. My point is that even if it was one foot, he would have crashed to the ground at any time had he put his body weight on it.

....and also the power from the thrust did not tip him back, slip or pull on his hands.

Its a fake and could not be more obvious if you know anything about messing about with extinguishers.

Theres no optical illusion at work.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

The train is moving in the opposite direction to flight btw

First thing I thought too, maybe linear gravity/acceleration blah blah. The guy is light looking, and probably lives on ice cream

top topics

join