It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do the feds have access to our personal messages on ATS ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SupersonicSerpent
reply to post by Wobbly Anomaly

Where in Yorkshire are you from? i am in leeds.

Haworth, just outside Bratfud innit :-)

Hang on, there are people in dark suits at the door......

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
So following on from Emeraldous' comment about sharing false info, would there be any benefit in privately discussing some fake scenarios eg a terrorist attack to see if any feds turn up at the location thus proving they were listening in (and no, i wouldnt do this, it's just to make the point more obvious)

...but are there any wild goose chasers that would benefit the free community ?

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

You having just typed 'terror' and 'UK' into the UK internet, now NSA IS interested in you.

You wont ever catch me being so silly.... wait wh...

*message ends*

edit on 2-9-2013 by Biigs because: may or may not have been edited by the NSA

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Good to assume anytime you write something it could be listed on the front page of the newspaper.

Do government workers have access - I'm sure they do if they want it. It could be under a blanket NSA exception, a valid warrant rubber stamped by some judge or just good old hacking into your personal information.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
One of the things that get you attention from big brother is asking security questions online in an open forum. Now they will feel you are sending messages that you should not be sending and will look into them.

Actually typing a message online that mentions big brother but doesn't mention the name Orwell will likely raise red flags too. I like to add in the Great Gatsby just to convince the surveillance bot that I'm talking about books and not starting an American terror cell or a political thread.

It really helps to add in a comment about Archie and Jughead too.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Legally speaking, any government entity would require a warrant in order to obtain any and all information about any member of ATS.

As a side note, the only people who have access to your messages are owners and admin. No member of moderator staff or super moderators have access, nor would we ever look through your personal PM's unless a T&C violation was reported.

16f.) Private Messages: You will not use the private messaging system to send mass messages to multiple member accounts. All private messages are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Use and the Terms and Conditions of Membership. Violations will result in immediate account termination. You also agree that Private Messages are confidential. You will not post or publically display messages received from TAN, their agents, or any other members, in any way, without the written permission of the author. TAN, at their discretion, may review the content of your private messages when, and only when, complaints are received from the recipient(s) of your messages.

We'd be violating our own TOS otherwise.

ATS takes your privacy seriously, even among the staff.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
One of the things that get you attention from big brother is asking security questions online in an open forum. Now they will feel you are sending messages that you should not be sending and will look into them.

Actually typing a message online that mentions big brother but doesn't mention the name Orwell will likely raise red flags too. I like to add in the Great Gatsby just to convince the surveillance bot that I'm talking about books and not starting an American terror cell or a political thread.

It really helps to add in a comment about Archie and Jughead too.

Yeah, there was a story here in the UK about a guy texting lyrics of a Clash song and having the police knock on his door.

www.theguardian.com...

Personally speaking if i want to talk in a public forum about code c is a go, armed bombs, guns, planes, vests and 'that' embassy without making it sound like i'm pretending to talk about something completely different then i'd like to not have to worry about doing so, so i dont ... worry that is. I'm more interested in how i can track who is processing those comments. I'd much rather be able to turn the tables and watch/manipulate the watchers as it were.

So, anybody got the passwords for the wikileaks insurance files yet ?
edit on 2-9-2013 by Wobbly Anomaly because: removal of info that could be a security threat and adding of the letter 'T'

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Legally speaking, any government entity would require a warrant in order to obtain any and all information about any member of ATS.

This is kinda the point i was making with the post but, as with Lavabit, if they did have a warrant and have looked through our messages then ATS may not be allowed to tell us about it, so it wouldnt be a surprise to get the reply you have made ! Lavabit has shown just how murky it all can be.

Obviously it's not just ATS and it makes you wonder how many companies have been contacted and cannot tell anyone about it.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by piequal3because14

Do the feds have access to our personal messages on ATS ?
They do,so what?

I am untouchable and unstoppable.

They do not even know for real if a am a female or a male.

Because I've give them only false info so far of which I feed them with.

i like the cut of your jib and as for what me and my people believe, the internet, like the Mother Earth that molded the human being who created it, will never be tamed.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

Yep, they sure can, and a few others as well.

I am untouchable and unstoppable
If this was true, then that would put you in a classification that is,ummm, different?

They do not even know for REAL if a am a female or a male.
Lets keep it real

Because I've give them only false info so far of which I feed them with
Tisk tisk on you. But again, could they handle the truth????

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Can i get in trouble by posting something i found out if it is already public information anyway

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

When you said "...have ACCESS to...." I about choked on my gatorade. You are joking right? They dont need access TO them. They go right through them 1st, just like all the other email. They always did.You cant possibly believe email is private when it come and goes, right?

This new of-late revelation about the gov spying and hacking these things...well, many of us knew this years ago, like in the late 90's when we were told to be careful on-line.

So, its nothing new.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jasmine23

Yes you can. What if what you copied WAS COPYRIGHTED and belonged to someone else? Just because you re-posted something 2nd, doesnt make you less guilty.

You have to be careful with calling things "public information" and "fair use". Those things are not always the case jsut because you find them online.

MS * (Copyright and Trademark owner)

PS Generally speaking...you should be ok.
edit on 2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

If someone has access to the files in the account they can get to everything. It's been shown that most of the ISPs are compromised. Do you really believe the PM data here can't be accessed if the government wants it?

Edit:

Techs working at the ISPs probably routinely read PMs in forums just for the lolz, as they say.
edit on 9/2/2013 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

This was release for public view so if i quote something from that then it is not copyrighted material,and it would be against my right on free speech,if they did not want the information out there then they should of not release the contents for public view. I see people who write about things they read in files and quote them.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
If the NSA want access then they have various legal powers to pretty much do what ever they want as they own tame judges who will sign what ever is required who can make sure that even letting anyone know that a court order has been given is a breach of a court order there by making any form of transparent government a waste of legal crappola

and for us outside the states you can just wave and let your local spooks do the same crappy thing and share it with the NSA

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I think it would be very safe to say they do .. for one simple reason, if they are collecting all internet traffic in mass as they've been accused of, then they'd certainly be able to see your messages here or anywhere else.. especially if you're not making use of SSL encryption ( https urls ) .. which by the way I'm surprised ATS doesn't provide it's members =) especially since it's cheap and simple to implement.

With that said, I don't know how effective SSL would really be in the end.. with their massive computer power they can probably easily circumvent it.. they also very well could have deals with all of the major certificate authorities

Also if ATS was ordered to do it by a judge, I'm sure they'd hand over the messages.. most wouldn't stand up to a legal request.

Just my two cents..

edit on 9/2/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/2/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by All Seeing Eye

At least for me NSA and the rest,we know who
,they are funny,playing with them always was and it is a funny game.

Wasting their resources.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

like the cut of your jib and as for what me and my people believe, the internet, like the Mother Earth that molded the human being who created it, will never be tamed.

You are right about that,even if they try to manipulate ,human behavior using the internet,this is something which will never happen.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
I work under the premise that just about every, if not every, large ISP and web hosting service is compromised.

As do I.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join