It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the Atheist: A reason Christians get heated when defending their belief.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I just kinda wanted to write this thread to shed a little light on why we get on here and try bombarding you with these logic games and facts and blah blah blah....one reason is you claim that is all you adhere to so we try and show the logical things and facts we believe support the belief, however, when we do this we leave out a major reason that we believe in God, and that is the feeling that is experienced when one ask the Lord to save them from their sins. I have no doubt every Christian knows the exact feeling that I am talking about, and that once they felt it that was the day they decided, "I will never not believe in you again." So, while you may think "oh this definitely disproves the Bible as the word of God," our personal relationship with Him is what makes it so hard to sway our opinion, and most of us won't share these experiences with you out of fear of ridicule and disbelief.
edit on 2-9-2013 by ServantOfTheLamb because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb

Why would you fear ridicule when your lord told you specifically... "You will be persecuted for my sake"?

Do you really care what others might think of your beliefs?

+24 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Bombarding atheists with logic games and facts? Logic and facts? And your only source for this is a Bronze Age document written with Bronze Age ethics and "facts".

So the secret feeling that Christians get which atheists somehow are missing out on is a feeling of forgiveness from a vengeful, vindictive, racist, homophobic sky-god, for a set of subjective "sins", which may not even be sins to some people? And you don't want to share it because you're afraid of being ridiculed? I can see why you would want to leave that part out.

Have I got that right?

I can't blame you for feeling ridiculed over believing something like that, as someone who subscribes to "logic and facts" myself, even though I'm a hedonistic atheist. You should be ridiculed.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I personally have no problem sharing this experience, and you both are misunderstanding. We fear you will hold no merit to personal revelations, and only criticize. I have already told one person on here that 10months ago God hit me like a brick to start studying the Bible. I hadn't gone to church in years, and am definitely not one to just go up and talk to people about God, but as of late I cannot contain myself. I fear my time to warn you all is running out, and I just want to make sure you know that if the rapture occurs and your left here during in the seven year tribulation there is a second chance.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady

Bombarding atheists with logic games and facts? Logic and facts? And your only source for this is a Bronze Age document written with Bronze Age ethics and "facts".

So the secret feeling that Christians get which atheists somehow are missing out on is a feeling of forgiveness from a vengeful, vindictive, racist, homophobic sky-god, for a set of subjective "sins", which may not even be sins to some people? And you don't want to share it because you're afraid of being ridiculed? I can see why you would want to leave that part out.

Have I got that right?

I can't blame you for feeling ridiculed over believing something like that, as someone who subscribes to "logic and facts" myself, even though I'm a hedonistic atheist. You should be ridiculed.

Definitely not the only source, ever heard of the hebrew mazzaroth?

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
lol, i cant believe you fools still argue amongst yourselves over this, after all at the end of the day an atheist wont behead a christian for his belief and a christian wont behead an atheist for theirs. but as we all know you can get...
hahaha, and you all thought i was gonna type something to get flagged

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Feelings are not a reliable test of anything and have nothing in common with reality. I see a lot of special pleading here because the premise of your thread is somewhat flimsy. The reason that many theists 'get angry' is because they they have little control over said feelings and are in total servitude of their imaginations. The type of imagination whose pillars crumble when put under the weight of scrutiny.

IRM

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Why would you fear ridicule when your lord told you specifically... "You will be persecuted for my sake"?

Do you really care what others might think of your beliefs?

And then here comes Zero to prove my point

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Feelings are not a reliable test of anything and have nothing in common with reality. I see a lot of special pleading here because the premise of your thread is somewhat flimsy. The reason that many theists 'get angry' is because they they have little control over said feelings and are in total servitude of their imaginations. The type of imagination whose pillars crumble when put under the weight of scrutiny.

IRM

This is exactly what I mean, you do not understand when we say this feeling is unnatural, and it is because the Holy Spirit bonds with our soul, and our connection to God is forever maintained.

And I will admit that in the past I have tried multiple types of psychedelics, the feeling is incomparable to any drug, or emotion experienced by humans.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ServantOfTheLamb
reply to post by Akragon

I personally have no problem sharing this experience, and you both are misunderstanding. We fear you will hold no merit to personal revelations, and only criticize. I have already told one person on here that 10months ago God hit me like a brick to start studying the Bible. I hadn't gone to church in years, and am definitely not one to just go up and talk to people about God, but as of late I cannot contain myself. I fear my time to warn you all is running out, and I just want to make sure you know that if the rapture occurs and your left here during in the seven year tribulation there is a second chance.

Well thats great... Perhaps that might be the reason why some would make fun?

The world isn't ending my friend... This is NOT "end times" despite what you might believe... Christian have been "warning people" about this stuff for centuries... And some people hear it way too much...

I even have people coming to my door trying to convince me the rapture is coming soon... Though most of them are clueless of anyrhing outside of revelation... Rather amusing actually

End times is what the sun dies out... A few million years from now... And our species will likely destroy itself loooong before that happens

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   

....we leave out a major reason that we believe in God, and that is the feeling that is experienced when one ask the Lord to save them from their sins. I have no doubt every Christian knows the exact feeling that I am talking about, and that once they felt it that was the day they decided, "I will never not believe in you again."

The experience you're referring to is not exclusive to Christianity. But no matter what the specifics of your beliefs are, anyone who has had such an experience cannot deny that it happened. This is what atheists don't understand, because they can't understand it. They haven't had such an experience and, try as you may, you cannot explain something that cannot be described with words.

So there's really no reason to "get heated" about it. Why are you wasting your time defending your beliefs to people who are incapable of relating to the experience(s) that gave you cause for your convictions to begin with? I mean, I can get a little antagonistic towards atheists myself, but not because I'm defending or trying to convince people to adopt a different belief system--I just think atheists are mean-spirited, nasty people who need to be taken down a peg or two.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Smh I feel bad for you. The vultures will tear you sanctified carcass for breakfast...take a break from work tear you a new one..then return for dinner with family and friends to feast while pointing and laughing....ill keep you in my prayers....btw I pray to Bp hoping I can make it to work and have enough gas to go to church sundays to pick up hot chicks!

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

The world isn't ending my friend... This is NOT "end times" despite what you might believe... Christian have been "warning people" about this stuff for centuries... And some people hear it way too much...

I even have people coming to my door trying to convince me the rapture is coming soon... Though most of them are clueless of anyrhing outside of revelation... Rather amusing actually

End times is what the sun dies out... A few million years from now... And our species will likely destroy itself loooong before that happens

Here is the best Biblical defense for the start of the Clock being 1948
gracethrufaith.com...

Here is a commentary on why some believe we have two years left, but this is just a theory remember.
gracethrufaith.com...
I have found out more about these two years that make the rapture more likely to occur call me crazy all you want homie you'll thank me one day.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
The reason I get a bit heated (maybe?) when defending any religious belief system from atheism, is that unopposed atheism will often lead to nationalism, and nationalism has little regard for individual well-being in many cases.

I think that religion and science need to co-exist. Although I don't think it should be involved in government, I think that religious people should not be harassed for their belief system.

God has nothing to do with it.

Although spirituality, I'm sure, does exist. I personally like agnostics, as they tend to be the most laid-back.
edit on 2-9-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

gracethrufaith.com...

Here is a commentary on why some believe we have two years left, but this is just a theory remember.
gracethrufaith.com...
I have found out more about these two years that make the rapture more likely to occur call me crazy all you want homie you'll thank me one day.

Nope i won't...

Im not calling you crazy either... You have your beliefs... Stick to them...

Though years from now when no rapture has happened... And your beliefs fly out the window like every other person who believed this "rapture" will happen in the past.... Which is barely even biblical...

Remember this conversation...

edit on 2-9-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I personally believe that God takes care of me. I struggle financially, yet at the moment when hope is gone I'll get some cash from a relative or a friend. I might be going hungry one day, and he has people stop over with food or something of the nature. He works in my life constantly, and I could never repay him for that any other way than by telling you all that he truly does hold me in his hands and take care of me as a child. I wish and pray that some of the threads I post that do discuss logical positions for our belief will show atleast one of you the truth.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

gracethrufaith.com...

gracethrufaith.com...

Nope i won't...

Im not calling you crazy either... You have your beliefs... Stick to them...

Though years from now when no rapture has happened... And your beliefs fly out the window like every other person who believes this "rapture" will happen... Which is barely even biblical...

Remember this conversation...

Here is a pretty solid argument that the rapture is Biblical, and yes I know the word rapture is never mentioned in the Bible, but the concept of .the word is

gracethrufaith.com...
gracethrufaith.com...
gracethrufaith.com...

There are three pages on just rapture references so I am pretty sure it is Biblical lol.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Thanks man... But i don't need any links about the rapture...

I know all about it... And like i said its barely biblical.

There will never be a time in the history of our planet where tons of people will just up and disappear... Believe whatever you like though...

We're here til we die... All of us... Like it or not...

We're on our own... And we always have been...

Get used to it... Cause that will never change.

Oh... And i wouldn't put much faith in the book of revelation in any case...

Though telling that to a christian is almost pointless

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   

I know the feeling bro. It is real. It is the most incredible thing you will ever feel.

That being said, don't just concede facts and reason to these people. Facts and reason is just the agreed upon background of values we have as a society, much like religions once where for most of human history.

In the end, militant atheism is just a belief system. Not all atheism and agnosticism. Just the kind that closes its mind to the possibility of God because of bad things believers have done in history or some kind of Santa-Clause like understanding of God.

I get pretty tickled when I hear someone describe my God as if he's driving a big chariot in the sky and ordering me to kill people *cough* Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins *cough*.

If you're not going to take the time to digest and internalize the more nuanced and informed versions of Christianity, etc, you're no better than the religious people who are blindly choosing not to accept the concept of evolution. If you don't get it, don't shut it out.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Thanks man... But i don't need any links about the rapture...

I know all about it... And like i said its barely biblical.

There will never be a time in the history of our planet where tons of people will just up and disappear... Believe whatever you like though...

We're here til we die... All of us... Like it or not...

We're on our own... And we always have been...

Get used to it... Cause that will never change.

Oh... And i wouldn't put much faith in the book of revelation in any case...

Though telling that to a christian is almost pointless

If you are going to say the rapture isn't Biblical back it up. I said it was Biblical and backed it up with sources, which you chose to ignore, why don't you do the same?

And if the rapture did happen I bet you and the Book of Revelations would get along nicely.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join