It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. funding to Middle Eastern rebel organizations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Yes, you heard that right, folks. The US is funding and arming militant Islamic rebels in the Middle Eastern regions.

The support of the Mujahideen had started much like every other intervention. The CIA supplied them with non-lethal aid like communications equipment and humanitarian aid. However, when the Soviets demonstrated how serious and stubborn they were in terms of how much they wanted to invest in Afghanistan, the U.S. ramped up their level of support.
The turning of the tide was the CIA’s decision to arm the Afghans with the new FIM-92 Stinger. This relatively cheap and portable anti-aircraft missile system was highly effective on the battle field. These launchers, which cost only a few thousand dollars, were able to take down multi-million dollar Soviet helicopters with devastating effect.

www.academia.edu...

My bad, there isn't a '30-years ago' subforum anywhere.

Hopefully I didn't catch you off guard. History repeats itself - that statement will always ring true, it's self-fulfilling. Guess what happened to those rebels who we armed and trained in the 80s, whom we funded almost $1 billion to obtain military-grade weapons and alphabet agency-level intelligence tactics? Ever heard of Al-Qaeda? Yeah.

And now it is happening again. Those little teenagers and 30-somethings who we trained so many years ago, who grew into their 'teen' years and rebelled against their parents by sneaking into their bedroom and messing with their trophy set, now fight with us once more -- like a father and son who have had their 'special moment' and decided to bond.

Ladies and gentleman, this is the world today. A bunch of old men fighting old wars backed by old ideologies. WE CREATED TERROR. We DRIVE it, we FEED upon it, unwilling to let it go, like stubborn mice surrounding a wheel of cheese. Continually, we try to disperse the terror we created, and look at us now, bolstering it yet again. How, please tell me, how these idiots gained the privilege to drive our world in this direction? I consider myself logical and rational enough to understand these things, so I must conclude that the majority of the population can, as well. If majority rules, then how? Is this Hell?
edit on 1-9-2013 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
WE CREATED TERROR.

no we didn't. Terror was around a long time before any of het current ME crises were.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

How did they get to those positions of driving the world?

How do you think?

We, as in you and me, put them there. What's even worse? We let 'em stay there.

There is nothing new here. It's the same ol' tired song and chorus. "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Too bad that is so not the case in the real world.

It's a game called realpolitik. Playing one off against the other, hoping that the winner won't turn on you... Uh-huh... Too bad it almost never works. Or if it does? In our blind stupidity, we turn on the winners because we think that that other opponent over there will be a better dog than the one we have now... Then they both bite us in the nethers...

All the while claiming that we stand for something better, something that is the envy of the world. That's why some hate us, not because we've screwed them over on a constant never ending basis, but because we're better than they are...

We hear the high flown rhetoric all the time. America is this... America is that... Shining city on a hill... Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my country. I love what it could be. I love what it does mean to some in the world...why else would they risk life and limb to get here? It damned well does stand for something.

It's time and past, for us who live here to stand up and make that dream a reality, not just the empty promise it all too often is.

That means backing people worthy of being backed, not just allies of the moment to be discarded when it's over.

Support because it's the right thing to do, not because they've something we want. Helping because they've oil, or minerals? There's nothing right at all about that...nothing.

Sorry, the rant comes on suddenly sometimes...
edit on 9/1/2013 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

WE CREATED TERROR.

no we didn't. Terror was around a long time before any of het current ME crises were.

By terror, I meant the 'terror' that is pushed onto us by the government. I.e. foreign terrorists. I'm sure you knew what I meant.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
put the head phones on and keep rockin
the truth is darker than the lies they feed us.
i used to think this country was the truth...pffft
all i see is blackness..the light of truth is all but gone.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

WE CREATED TERROR.

By terror, I meant the 'terror' that is pushed onto us by the government. I.e. foreign terrorists. I'm sure you knew what I meant.

Looked pretty much to me that you meant exactly what you said.

And to be honest I have no idea what your definition means.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

WE CREATED TERROR.

Looked pretty much to me that you meant exactly what you said.

'WE CREATED TERROR'

The thread is about our funding the precursors to Al-Qaeda. Our government prides itself on making the word Terror synonymous with the Muslim terrorist organization. Thus 'WE CREATED TERROR'. There is no possible way you could not have known what I meant.

Then how can you contribute to thread if you don't know what I'm talking about? Either you are ignorant of what a 'hyperbole' is, mistaken about what you 'think' I'm talking about, or outright trolling. Since I genuinely believe you to be mistaken, I'm just trying to clarify that I'm pretty sure you know what I meant.

top topics

join