It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hill briefing: Uphill battle for Obama on Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

President Barack Obama faces a clear uphill battle in swaying skeptical lawmakers of the merits of military action in Syria, as top officials were dispatched to Capitol Hill Sunday to make the administration’s case.

On a Sunday ?

For example, Senate Democratic aides are drafting new language for an authorization of military force in Syria, Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) said Sunday.

Should that not be originating in the House ?

The administration’s proposal is too open-ended — a complaint many lawmakers have — Leahy said after leaving the classified briefing. The current version wouldn’t garner his support, but he indicated that a more tightly written draft might.

What are the objectives ?

Hit a few building's and call it a day ?

Aides to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Foreign Relations Committee Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) are overseeing the revisions to the authorization of force measure, which seek to narrow the scope for any U.S. military mission in Syria, Democratic sources said.

What is it with aides writing this stufff ?

Think those congress would get off their butts, and write it themselves.

Obama administration officials drafted their own resolution that was sent to Capitol Hill on Saturday without congressional input, and it was clear from the moment that it was unveiled that party leaders in both chambers would seek to change it.

How are they going to justify Syrian action ?

Especially since chemical weapons have already been used numerous times.

Wag the dog and now no one is talking about Snowden and NSA spying.

They have made quite a few emotional arguments the past weekend.

“If we stand idly by and allow the gassing of men, women and children by a ruthless thug, it will send a message to every despot across the world and every terrorist group across the world that you can commit war crimes and there’s no penalty for it,” said Rep. Eliot Engel (N.Y.), the top Democrat on the House Foreign Affairs Committee. “And I think that’s the most compelling reason for us to take action

Guilting:

“I think if the Congress acts like the British Parliament, I think that we’ve abrogated our responsibility,” he added

Classic American politics.
edit on 1-9-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
obama and kerry both state that regardless of House vote he will strike Syria:

A first hand account of interviews of the people in Syria who are being murdered by the foreign fighters that obama is supplying right now:

If Congress votes No on military action and obama orders it anyway, it is an impeachable offense.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Bunch of Warmongers......

I hope the Liberal base is watching closely. If you didn't know, you would have thought GWB was still at the helm!

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Just so you know it is not Israel this time. It is some one Israel does not see eye to eye with that is pushing Obama this time. Turkey. And the GCTF created and ran with Turkey and the US running it. This is the same group that replaced Egypts government which fell again.

THE GLOBAL COUNTER TERRORISM FORUM
www.thegctf.org...
edit on 2-9-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Of course not otherwise why did Kerry call Bibi today on His phone?

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Israel wants to be in charge. But Obama has chosen Turkey over Israel. I just wonder what will come after wards. A 9/11 attack on a US Embassy like the one in Libya? Israel did not like the plan there from the start either. Or the one that was used in Egypt. The NEO Cons also created the video which created the protest on that 9/11 at the Embassies. Scooter Libby at the Hudson Institute paid to have the video made and helped send it to a talk show in Egypt to play on TV there. So now what happens with the GCTF created by Hillary Clinton playing puppet master in another country?

The guys who made that video at the Hudson Institute.

Check out the 990 tax return and you will see I Lewis Libby on it.

dynamodata.fdncenter.org...
edit on 2-9-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I guess if you are in Syria you would have to be trying to find a place to hide. Right now the whole world is ready to attack them. Except they can't join together to do it. UK,France,Germany,Israel and the US right want to attack. On the other hand you have Colombia,Turkey,UAE,Qatar,Saudi Arabia and the US Left wanting to attack them a different way. Russia,Sweden and Iran are saying no.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

It isn't the US right that wants to attack Syria.

It is the left.

If you are talking about McCain he is not a republican.

new topics

top topics

join