It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt's Mursi to stand trial over violence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
It looks like he'll get his day in court. What kind of court that turns out to be and when that day may come is a very open question, I'd say, but they've made a decision anyway.

Deposed Egyptian president Mohamed Mursi is to stand trial on charges of committing and inciting violence, a state prosecutor decided on Sunday, an escalation of the army-backed authorities' crackdown on his Muslim Brotherhood.

The prosecutor, Hesham Barakat, referred Mursi and 14 other Brotherhood members to a Cairo criminal court on charges of "committing acts of violence, and inciting killing and thuggery", the state news agency reported.

I'm sorry (for the truth in it) but on charges like that? What makes him stand out beyond every other leader in the world? I can't resist that thought because those are the weakest charges I've ever quite heard against someone who has served as a head of state. (Clinton and a Blue Dress not withstanding).

Mursi is also being investigated over his escape from jail during the 2011 uprising against Hosni Mubarak. He is accused of murder and conspiring with the Palestinian group Hamas during the prison break, though no formal charges have been brought in that case.
Source

Well now, that last tidbit is a new one. I'm sure I read it then and there has just been too much happen since, but I hadn't recalled Mursi as being a prisoner and escaping before becoming President. So, basically, he just had an extended and very eventful time out of a cell before returning back to one?

Reality has become stranger than fiction.

join