It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions for an FAQ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Hello, I wrote a message for forum help a bit ago (week maybe, I live on internet time, so my time-sense is blitzed) but didn't yet see a response. No worries, I am guessing this forum is so huge that staff just don't have time for one-offs, totally understand. So I thought maybe asking the questions on a forum biz board, which I didn't know existed until 5 minutes ago (because I've only been here for like seven years, sheesh) might just allow anyone who has time and mercy to give me a headsup.

1. Twice I've typed something to post and then been told I didn't have permission for a board. The software was kind enough to eat my post as part of this so I couldn't save the text once I got the message.
This led me to these questions:

A. Why does it give me the reply button and box in that case? In many forums if you have no permission you don't see those at all.

B. Since it does, how am I supposed to know which forums I am only allowed to see vs. post on? Is there some secret clue?

C. Is there a list or a form of "application for entry" that one can find regarding said forums?

If this applies more to certain threads than forums, then I have misunderstood, but the above questions would still apply I think.

2. Is there a way to upload actual files to ATS aside from an avatar? Does it require a paid membership or something?

3. Does this forum software have any way to:

A. Save a list of favorite posters and then see all threads updated by any of those posters in the last ___ period?

B. Get a list of your own posts in a list of messages instead of one separate link to every separate post in every separate thread?

C. Mark someone as ignore and not see their messages anymore when in threads?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

PJ (aka RedCairo)
edit on 1-9-2013 by RedCairo because: I can't spell worth crap

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I'll tell you what I can, the rest maybe upto staff.
Also the staff may be busy with the switchover stuff which is why they may not have replied to you.
I have no answer to A, I would say its a bug.

RedCairo
B. Since it does, how am I supposed to know which forums I am only allowed to see vs. post on? Is there some secret clue?

The writer, debate and research forms need special "status" to be able to post, see this for more detail. Also there was the rats forum which required purchase by points or something, not sure how it works right now.

RedCairo
C. Is there a list or a form of "application for entry" that one can find regarding said forums?

see the link in prevous answer, you will need to pm certain staff, and abide by certain rules depending on forum you want.

RedCairo
2. Is there a way to upload actual files to ATS aside from an avatar? Does it require a paid membership or something?

only image files jpg, gif, or png are allowed. No other files. These images can be used in threads.
Tools->Ats uploads

RedCairo
3. Does this forum software have any way to:

A. Save a list of favorite posters and then see all threads updated by any of those posters in the last ___ period?

I would say the friends threads in the ribbon was something similar, but not same. But the friends and foe is going bye bye (I think) in the new system, so well don't think there is anything such, maybe theres something new in the new sytem, and I haven't found it yet.

RedCairo
B. Get a list of your own posts in a list of messages instead of one separate link to every separate post in every separate thread?

none that I have found

RedCairo
C. Mark someone as ignore and not see their messages anymore when in threads?

I think it was around sometime, but I can't find it anymore.

Certain times the forum bugs out even when you do have permission and the forum eats the post, so make a habit of copying your entire post before hitting reply.
edit on 1-9-2013 by kaleshwarchand777 because: added some detail

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
When I get the "no permission to post" notice, it's because they closed the thread before I hit "reply" on my post.

The ignore button doesn't exist now. I don't know about the future.

join