It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to tell if a person has a huge ego (is extremely self-centered)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Person 1 = less self-centered
Person 2 = extremely self-centered

[NOTE: I am not talking about doing these things sometimes, but only if they do this constantly.]

[Second NOTE: Again, most people aren't getting it. These things are CLUES, if it constantly happens that is a sign]

1) They continuously bring up their own experiences to relate to the topic.

Example:

Person 1: "It is better to forgive then to hold on to hatred."

Person 2: "It's better to just forgive because when I had that fight with James it just made things worse."

2) They give their opinion when it isn't need.

Example:

Person 1: "Religion allows us to see into the mind of ancient society."

Person 2: "Religion allows us to see into the mind of ancient society, but eww I hate that word."

3) They use the words "my" a lot instead of "the".

Example:

Person 1: "I want to use the computer."

Person 2: "I want to use my computer."

Person 1: "I want to get those new Jorden sneakers"

Person 2: "I want to get me my pair of Jorden's sneakers."

2) They only care about their point of view.

Example:

Person 1: "Your anger winded up embarrassing everyone we was with."

Person 2: "You made a scene and was embarrassing me (not considering others)."

3) They are very controlling [ 3 main forms mentioned]

Example:

(Trying to force others to be like them)

Person 1: "It's not healthy to think so negatively, but of course we all have a choice."

Person 2: "You need to stop that and think more positive, you are always being so negative!"

(Threatening violence)

Person 1: "I don't like the way you speak to people so rudely, so if you don't stop I won't be around you."

Person 2: "You need to stop talking so rudely, if you don't stop - I'll make you stop."

(Calling people names)

Person 1: "It's ok if you don't want to do what I say, I understand."

Person 2: " You are so selfish and lazy for not doing whatever I ask you to do."

4) They think that they are better than everyone else, but give false humility.

Example:

Person 1: "If you continue to do this, eventually you will bring yourself into a world of drama."

Person 2: "I'm not perfect, but my way is better than your way - you need to stop that and be like me."

Another Example:

Person 1: "We obviously disagree, but if you want to debate it, that is fine."

Person 2: "Your point of you is irrelevant you are just a sheep, brain-washed, or deceived by the devil."

EDIT: Two more clues that hints at extreme self-centeredness

4) Making assumptions (especially if that assumption is just to get attention or argument)

Example:

Extermely self-centered person:

"There is nothing wrong with having ego and knowing the difference and boundaries between "me" and "you", we need it to survive"

The actual theme of the thread:

"How to know if someone is EXTREMELY self-centered"

Nothing to do with Ego being "good" or "Evil". Nothing to do with getting rid of the Ego completely. All of this is an assumption to argue - to argue against something that wasn't even said.

5) Conformity - Doing what everyone else does out of fear of being "criticized"

Example:

moderate person:

"It really doesn't matter what they think, everyone has their own opinions."

extremely self-centered person:

"I need to do this and that, I don't want people talking about ME."

edit on 1-9-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

What do you classify this as? - I just burned my pizza because i held on to read this post, woe is me.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by EA006
reply to post by arpgme

What do you classify this as? - I just burned my pizza because i held on to read this post, woe is me.

Your pizza or "the" pizza?

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

either or

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Well...damn....we're screwed then because that's most of the people I know.

I think everybody is pretty self centered these days.
It could be an effect of the "you're 49th out of 50 but, damn, you're still special & deserve a trophy" society.
Could also be a lack of social development as a side-effect of growing up with your nose glued to a screen of some sort...don't know...but these dynamics seem very very common.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I fed myself breakfast this morning, am I self centered?
Defining boundaries is being self centered and egotistical in and of its self?!
I think therefore I am, you need some ego to exist in the first place. Do you have experience not having an ego?

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by EA006

Well obviously...

If you use "my" then you must be egocentric & there's something wrong with you

If you use "the" then you must have an issue with acknowledging personal responsibility & there's something wrong with you.

The correct answer is to say nothing & do as you're told but since you obviously can't get with the program here's a prescription for a pill & you can't own a gun any longer - have a nice day!

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Is it better to speak for the group or share personal opinions?

Person 1: This thread is ridiculous!

Person 2: This thread is ridiculous IMO!

You can’t please everyone!

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by EA006
reply to post by arpgme

Lol you self-centered ***hole! j/k.... but I feel for your pizza. God I love pizza!

Sincerely, a self-centered ***hole :p

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It depends on the context...sharing personal experiences to make a point is not the same as always dominating conversations. In some cases sharing personal information can put that person at risk in some way and open them up to judgement, which depending on the motivation could be quite selfless.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Can I insert this?

HOW TO SPOT A SOCIOPATH

The big question is, of course, how can you know whether someone is a sociopath or not? It's a difficult question and even experts on the subject can be fooled. If you suspect that someone close to you is a sociopath, I suggest you read both of the books I mentioned, and also read the comments on the comments page, and think hard about it. Compare that person to the other people in your life, and ask yourself these questions:

I like Martha Stout's way of detecting sociopaths. She wrote: "If ... you find yourself often pitying someone who consistently hurts you or other people, and who actively campaigns for your sympathy, the chances are close to one hundred percent that you are dealing with a sociopath."

I wonder how many sociopaths are elected each cycle of renewed oppression?

Oh yeah!
Something about synergy

It boils down IMO that whoever is not willing to forgive a debt...or just simply cooperate is the enemy of humanity.
edit on (9/1/1313 by loveguy because: stop denying me my utopia dammit

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Emeraldous

Originally posted by Emeraldous
I fed myself breakfast this morning, am I self centered?

I think most people are self-centered. For example, almost all of us want happiness. Some people want to share that happiness with others in order to live in a happy world.

Defining boundaries is being self centered and egotistical in and of its self?!

Yes, it is. Boundaries exist to create a space for a person's own self. Anyway why all of the excitement ("?!")

I think therefore I am, you need some ego to exist in the first place.

Yes, this is true. if you have an identity, then you have an ego and ego is important for this world.

Do you have experience not having an ego?

In deep sleep, yes.

Just in case you haven't realized yet, I wasn' t saying that there was something "wrong" with having an ego or that an "ego" shouldn't exist. I simply made this thread for people to identify *extremely* self-centered people.

reply to post by coldkidc

Originally posted by coldkidc
Well obviously...

If you use "my" then you must be egocentric & there's something wrong with you

Not necessarily; but if the person is using "my" all the time where "the" could be easily used, it is giving a clue that the person is mainly focused on themselves (extreme self-centeredness).

If you use "the" then you must have an issue with acknowledging personal responsibility & there's something wrong with you.

Not necessarily. That is an assumption.

The correct answer is to say nothing & do as you're told but since you obviously can't get with the program here's a prescription for a pill & you can't own a gun any longer - have a nice day!

What do guns have to do with this subject? The ego wants to distract and argue against something not being talked about.

reply to post by seabag

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by arpgme

Is it better to speak for the group or share personal opinions?

Person 1: This thread is ridiculous!

Person 2: This thread is ridiculous IMO!

You can’t please everyone!

Unless you actually know what everyone else thinks (otherwise your mind is just making assumptions), you can only truly speak for yourself.

reply to post by MountainLaurel

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
It depends on the context...sharing personal experiences to make a point is not the same as always dominating conversations.

Yes, not "always", but if the person is constantly trying to find an experience to talk about themselves in the conversation instead of the general idea, that is a clue to them being extremely self-centered.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Unrealistic expectations that sound like they come straight from the manual on "how to deny the self". Speaking personally, I don't see why the self has to be denied at all. But I guess some people aren't comfortable with having an ego, even if ego is a crucial aspect of any person.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Since I didn't write this article, why should I read it? And look at my avatar, isn't my avatar the best one here? It's me in a white buffalo skin, showing how special I am. Although it itches me sometimes, and I forgot to put in my eye holes, up in the shoulder there where my head goes. But when other people see it they think that someone special is inside, me. Enough of this, I will now not waste any more of my time on this thread I didn't write, and will think about how nice it would be to look in a mirror. If I just hadn't forgotten those damn eye holes.

edit on 1-9-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Trouble in paradise eh?

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
Unrealistic expectations that sound like they come straight from the manual on "how to deny the self".

Where in the original post, is anything "expected" from anyone? These are just signs to identify a person who may be extremely self-centered.

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
Speaking personally, I don't see why the self has to be denied at all.

This wasn't suggested anywhere in the original post.

This thread is not about promoting the idea that ego should not exist, nor is it about it about whether ego is "good" or "bad".

This thread is simply a way to help identify extremely self-centered people through some of these signs.

extreme self-centeredness can be harmful to other people. That is why this thread is about identifying "extreme" self-centeredness and not moderate self-centeredness.

reply to post by Aleister

Originally posted by Aleister
Since I didn't write this article, why should I read it? And look at my avatar, isn't my avatar the best one here? It's me in a white buffalo skin, showing how special I am. Although it itches me sometimes, and I forgot to put in my eye holes, up in the shoulder there where my head goes. But when other people see it they think that someone special is inside, me. Enough of this, I will now not waste any more of my time on this thread I didn't write, and will think about looking at myself in a mirror, if I just had those damn eye holes.

Interesting.

reply to post by NeoParadigm

Originally posted by NeoParadigm
reply to post by arpgme

Trouble in paradise eh?

Huh?
edit on 1-9-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Extremely self centered people are easily identified. They call themselves Leaders. How do you lead? By knowing more than everyone else. Who on this planet knows what is truly going on? If that person exists then it is not a good leader. Therefore leaders do not exist. There you go, run with that and you will be fine.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Emeraldous

The idea of a leader can be an accurate association with extreme self-centerdness.

"My way is The Good way, everyone else is doing it The Bad Way."

"Everybody should do what I say, because I know The Good Way."

and eventually...

"Anybody who does not do what I want needs to be punished (or killed.)". [An example of "tyranny"]

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
hey, hey, hey...just because the world revolves around me, doesn't mean I'm self-centered, it means that i'm extremely concerned about my own well-being, as everyone else should be

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
hey, hey, hey...just because the world revolves around me, doesn't mean I'm self-centered, it means that i'm extremely concerned about my own well-being, as everyone else should be

Well, you live in California!

Of course you feel that way.

That’s what you’ve been conditioned to believe.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3 >>

join